Do United Methodist still hang out here?

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Thanks for that help!

I wish the forum had a more comprehensive list of denominations. "Methodist" and "Baptist" are whole families of denominations. I imagine there are Baptists who would like to be able to designate "Southern Baptist" or "American Baptist.", etc.

Indeed. I wish a we could have a “sub denomination” label, so for example Eastern Orthodox could specify their jurisdiction like Greek Orthodox, Georgian Orthodox, Ukrainian Orthodox (Moscow Patriarchate), Orthodox Church in Ukraine (Ecumenical Patriarchate), Anglicans could specify Episcopalian, ACNA, Church of England, etc, Presbyterians could specify Church of Scotland, PCUSA and so on, and a new forum and category could be added to try to attract Syriac Christians, including a Syriac Christianity forum, and a Church of the East over denomination with two subgroups, Assyrian Church of the East and Ancient Church of the East (and likewise Oriental Orthodox Christians could select Syriac Orthodox as their subdenomination; right now we only have two OO members and they are both Coptic Orthodox. We had an Armenian Orthodox member, @ArmenianJohn, but he seems to have left. There is an Assyrian priest who is willing to make a $700 donation in return for a Syriac Christianity forum.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
One of the things I have been thinking of lately is what is to become of the pastors? While congregations have decisions to make about which way they will go, so do pastors. Is it possible that either the UMC or the Global Methodists will end up with either an over or under supply of pastors? What then?

My deceased dad was a UMC pastor. A conversation amongst my siblings and I has been what side dad would have taken.

I would assume Lay Servants, or Lay Preachers, as they used to be called, will become more important. I think the UMC/GMC should ordain anyone appointed to that rank to Reader, Subdeacon or Permanent Deacon, and also have a program where they could become Elders after a certain number of years in service, with faculties to celebrate the Eucharist. Also I think allowing individual Elders and District Superintendents to train postulants who would serve as Lay Servants “on the job” and then present them to the Bishop if and when they were deemed ready for ordination would be splendid, because it would increase vocations and make the ministry accessible to people who can’t afford a Bachelors and then Divinity School. Also instructing the Methodist seminaries to offer a five year MDiv for people without a Bachelors, which would include a Bachelors of Science in Theology or a BA in Philosophy, or another subject they could use to supplement their income, like Computer Science or Business Administration.

Also introduce a distance learning program for training Elders and full Deacons, which ROCOR (the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, which by the way has, in additiom to a great many American and other Anglophone “Conwertsy”, includimg priests such as my friend Fr. George Whitefield, lots of Ukrainian members and has raised a lot of money to help Ukrainian refugees; sadly one of their parishes which has raised quite a lot in New Zealand got vandalized because they are called “Russian”). And lastly, make it extremely easy for pastors in other denominations to transfer to the Methodist church, basically by completing a program in Wesleyan theology and Methodist traditions.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
One of the things I have been thinking of lately is what is to become of the pastors? While congregations have decisions to make about which way they will go, so do pastors. Is it possible that either the UMC or the Global Methodists will end up with either an over or under supply of pastors? What then?

My deceased dad was a UMC pastor. A conversation amongst my siblings and I has been what side dad would have taken.

At a local pastor's meeting, we were told that traditionalist churches would still be able to remain in the UMC and still be traditionalist. I don't know how it will actually work in reality considering that the schism between progressives and conservatives in general only continues to widen, and it's no longer simply about gay marriage or ordaining gay clergy when it comes to the overall political environment. My current plan is to see what happens with the GMC and UMC during the time between May 1 and the next general conference, whenever it actually happens in 2024 or who knows when. A lot can happen during that time.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Methodized

God is love and in God there is no darkness.
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I promise you the discussion will be extremely respectful and open to divergent perspectives. So are you ok with me quoting some of your posts in this thread, in that thread, and also tagging you? Likewise @seeking.IAM I want to @ tag you and quote you because I believe the loss of reverent liturgical worship is one of the two primary causes of membership loss.

Basically, just so everyone knows my perspective, I believe that the Liturgical Movement was a good idea, but the RCL and certain changes to the liturgy like the forced implementation of the 1979 Book of Common Prayer in the Episcopal Church, which is a great liturgy by tje way, but forcing it on all the parishes caused a schism (although these days some Episcopalian parishes just use the 1928 BCP without authorization), just as the forced implementation of the Novus Ordo Missae caused a schism, and that while homosexuals have been treated horribly in many denominations, the denomination-wide implementation of policies which could be called scripturally controversial has alienated people, and individual parishes should have the autonomy to accept or reject such proposals and change denominational affiliations, but the primary focus needs to shift to attracting people away from the megachurches of the Joel Osteen / Mark Driscoll variety, and to remove stumbling blocks to that, and that there is a need for a united denomination for liberal Christians that would share resources with the traditional Christians such as church buildings, charitable operations, certain common parts of seminaries, chaplaincy support et cetera, based on something like the Elizabethan settlement, wherein the traditionalists would agree not to engage in, for example, conversion therapy, and the progressives would agree not to, among other things, follow the example of herchurh, formerly known as Ebenezer Lutheran Church, and sell mother goddess rosaries, and on this basis peace could be restored and membership increased.

That is my thesis, so in participating in the thread, that’s what you are getting into. If anyone attacks your ministry, qualifications for ministry, the existence of the mainline churches, the good that the mainline churches continue to do, their importance to society, or questions the need for that, I vow that I will report them if their attack is ad hominem, flaming or goading, and otherwise ask them to leave us in peace to have a respectful dialogue.

In addition I will solicit alternative perspectives, including yours, and vow to respectfully consider these and to not dismiss any idea out of hand and also to refrain from demeaning anyone for their ideas.

@Paidiske can attest that I have repeatedly defended her ministry from attacks by people making stupid posts along the lines of “Rahhh! Women can’t do ministry” despite the fact that the entire nation of Georgia was evangelized by a woman, St. Nino, an Armenian princess, and that St. Paul’s fellow evangelist St. Theclas and St. Mary Magdalene were instrumental in the spread of the early church, and the most important ministry of all I believe was that of the Blessed Virgin Mary, so I can promise a respectful debate and I have the credibility to back it up.

My congregations also have multiple homosexual members and I have sought to rechurch unchurched homosexuals. If you look at the thread in Full and Part Time Ministry, you can see the precise approach I take to that issue. I am also regarded as a liberal Christian by most members of the forum and have posted some ideas in WWMC that struck other liberal members as frankly too liberal, for example, my idea of creating an edited version of the Gospel of Thomas and certain other NT apocrypha that featured heretical content removed, based on the belief that several of these texts were of apostolic origin but were appropriated by and edited to reflect the false doctrines of various heretical cults such as the Ebionites, Valentinians, Tatianists, Severians, Manichaeans and others, and my idea of using as a catechtical tool a process by which people in a group setting would be encouraged to write a “Gospel narrative” which reflected their understanding of the Holy Gospel, the Good News that the Church proclaims and which is described in Scripture, with the catechist mentoring them and helping them avoid any theological errors or misunderstandings, and these could be read in a special service on a Saturday or Sunday evening prior to Vespers/Evensong celebrating their completion of the catechesis.

With that said, I hope you will agree to participate with me, a fellow Wesleyan, who is also at present working two Congregationalist ministries using services adapted from the beautiful liturgies of Rev. John Hunter’s Devotional Services, and I also want to invite any of you who are interested to review or participate in the LiturgyWorks group I am involved in and our projects, which include a traditional Methodist book which is actually designated project no. 1, and a replacement for the 1928 Episcopalian BCP and alternative to the 2019 ACNA BCP for continuing Anglicans, which features content from the 1979 BCP in traditional language and is modularized for use by persons of different churchmanship (I think that is project no. 5; we have about 8 going at present with three or four more under consideration). Indeed your involvement in that is even more desired than your participation in my thread about my desire and ways to save the mainline churches.

The problem is that centrists and progressives were always will to give traditionalists the leeway not to perform same sex weddings, etc. But the traditionalist view is that if we don't all do it the same way then the denomination is flawed and they don't want to be a part of it.

It is very hard to come to a compromise with a group that believes that compromise itself is evil.

Upvote 0

Methodized

Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I would assume Lay Servants, or Lay Preachers, as they used to be called, will become more important. I think the UMC/GMC should ordain anyone appointed to that rank to Reader, Subdeacon or Permanent Deacon, and also have a program where they could become Elders after a certain number of years in service, with faculties to celebrate the Eucharist. Also I think allowing individual Elders and District Superintendents to train postulants who would serve as Lay Servants “on the job” and then present them to the Bishop if and when they were deemed ready for ordination would be splendid, because it would increase vocations and make the ministry accessible to people who can’t afford a Bachelors and then Divinity School. Also instructing the Methodist seminaries to offer a five year MDiv for people without a Bachelors, which would include a Bachelors of Science in Theology or a BA in Philosophy, or another subject they could use to supplement their income, like Computer Science or Business Administration.

Also introduce a distance learning program for training Elders and full Deacons, which ROCOR (the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, which by the way has, in additiom to a great many American and other Anglophone “Conwertsy”, includimg priests such as my friend Fr. George Whitefield, lots of Ukrainian members and has raised a lot of money to help Ukrainian refugees; sadly one of their parishes which has raised quite a lot in New Zealand got vandalized because they are called “Russian”). And lastly, make it extremely easy for pastors in other denominations to transfer to the Methodist church, basically by completing a program in Wesleyan theology and Methodist traditions.

The UMC in many areas already have a shortage of clergy before the split. This includes my conference. But the GMC well may have more clergy than churches as it is much easier for an individual to change affiliations than to convince a church to leave the denomination of its heritage. I saw this happen to the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship when it split off of the SBC. More pastored left the SBC than churches by far. So many of those pastors become Methodists, Presbyterians, etc.

I expect some GMC pastors to end up in Southern Baptist churches or elsewhere when they can't get appointed to a GMC congregation.

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

Methodized

Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
At a local pastor's meeting, we were told that traditionalist churches would still be able to remain in the UMC and still be traditionalist. I don't know how it will actually work in reality considering that the schism between progressives and conservatives in general only continues to widen, and it's no longer simply about gay marriage or ordaining gay clergy when it comes to the overall political environment. My current plan is to see what happens with the GMC and UMC during the time between May 1 and the next general conference, whenever it actually happens in 2024 or who knows when. A lot can happen during that time.

Yes, the UMC isn't trying to kick anyone out. The plan, already being implemented in Iowa, is that churches decide if they will allow same sex weddings in their building and pastors each decide if they are comfortable performing same sex weddings or not.

No one is being forced to do something they don't approve of. No one is being asked to leave. But if you can't handle not everyone doing just as you do, well then there is a process for leaving.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
The problem is that centrists and progressives were always will to give traditionalists the leeway not to perform same sex weddings, etc. But the traditionalist view is that if we don't all do it the same way then the denomination is flawed and they don't want to be a part of it.

It is very hard to come to a compromise with a group that believes that compromise itself is evil.

I understand your perspective and I want you to share it and I want @PloverWing to share his views in the thread I am posting. If I quote your posts or tag you however without your blessing it could be considered a “call out thread” which is against the rules.

In terms of venue if Denomination Specific Theology concerns you we could do Moderate Theology or Traditional Theology. I suggest Traditional Theology as a good alternate venue because all of the mainline liturgical churches are reckoned Traditional Churches whereas the non-denominational churches whose members are most likely to just bombard you with Scripture taken out of context in an eisegetical manner are not allowed therein. Furthermore, the Traditional Theology forum is widely considered to be the least polemical theology forum open to members of different denominations, and is known for a lack of flamewars and tolerance for tnem

Also I propose we could optionally not directly discuss homosexuality but rather discuss in the abstract “controversial issues” which could pertain to that, but also pro life issues and the ordination of women. This will further reduce the risk of flamage.

My goal is to work out a solution for this issue.

By the way, even in the UMC, but in some denominations there have been isolated instances of conservative parishes being forced to accept things they did not want. For example, there is the sad case of St. Paul’s United Methodist Church in Anchorage, Alaska, the construction of which was financed by the parishioners, but which was shut down and sold because the parish objected to the very progressive elder who was appointed to it by the bishop. They fortunately had some money and were able to build a new church and operate as an independent Methodist church. In the Methodist context this is an isolated incident; such things have occurred however in other denominations. So while I do believe the vast majority of progressive clergy in North America are extremely tolerant of conservatives, and the reverse is unfortunately not the case, it is true that there have been incidents where this has not held up. Outside of Methodism for example there was the scandal involving the Episcopalian Bishop Bruno of Los Angeles, who was properly forced to resign because it emerged he was taking money under the table from developers. And the odd thing is I know of a lot of conservative Episcopalians who liked him despite him being progressive.

Now in Las Vegas, a model of progressive-conservative cooperation exists between the Episcopalian bishop and the Continuing Anglican parish of St. George, which is part of the Anglican Province of Christ the King. The two have a high degree of respect for each other. Also in Chico, California, where the old Episcopal Church in downtown was sold to a Chinese Restaurant when a newer, larger church was needed (downtown Chico is pretty small; it consists of two one way streets, Main and Broadway, and extends south from the bridge where the two merge into the Esplenade, past First Street and the California State University Chico campus, down past historic buildings, city hall, the town squaee, Eigth Street to a place where Main and Broadway merge into one street at triangular park into a street whose name I forget, roughly where Highway 32 intersects it. The old Episcopal Church is on Broadway. The Anglican Province of Christ the King purchased it around 1994 - I was at the massive sale where they sold all restaurant paraphernalia, reopened it and consistently fills it up, and they get on well with the local Episcopal Church. So there are sometimes very good relations.

Also further to your point several Methodist, Episcopal, Lutheran and Anglican churches house Eastern and Oriental Orthodox congregations, for example, the Syriac Orthodox parish in Las Vegas pre-Covid met in a beautiful room provided by a parish of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, who were extremely accommodating. I once called a WELS church on behalf of the Syriac Orthodox Archdiocese of the West to see if they could locate a parish there and the answer was yes, as long as they didn’t use the social hall, for reasons that were unfortunately justified with something of a derogatory comment about the Syriac Church and/or its parishioners. It was pretty nasty and disappointing.

Now the Eastern Orthodox churches, the Oriental Orthodox churches, and the Assyrian and Ancient Church of the East are as conservative as you can get, so I think it speaks to the generosity of the liberal mainline denominations that they are willing to accommodate it. The reverse is sometimes the case, sometimes not, due to an ancient canon law which is unfortunately sometimes applied to the mainline churches.

At any rate, my goal is to have a conversation where we can begin by expressing our views on the reasons for the decline, see if there is anything we can identify as a common denominator between our views, and if there is (and I think there is, and I think I even know what it is) we can work to propose an ecumenical solution.

This would also apply to mainstream churches which are not progressive but whose membership is stagnant or declining, for example, the Greek Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
You are welcome to tag me...but I hang on your every word anyway. :wave:

Well that’s mighty kind of you to say that, my only hope is that I live up it. Remember, I am a miserable sinner, surely a worse sinner than you: I am slothful, proud, gluttonous, lusty, prone to despair, and all this despite the enormous grace God has shown me to the extent that I have been blessed with experiences many people have not seen; I feel like St. Thomas the Apostle in that respect, only my corrupt mind still sometimes doubts and I have not, unlike St. Thomas, taken two superb apostles, Saints Addai and Mari, under my wing as disciples, nor have I brought the Gospel on the Syro-Judaean trade route from Edessa to Babylon to the Malabar Coast of India and the Kochin Jews of Kerala therein, most of whom converted (of those who did not, most made Aliyah to India after 1948, but there are a few left, not enough to reliably form a minyan at the gorgeous Paradesi Synagogue; the wealthiest and most respected Kochin Jewish family is the Sassoon family, and the best known Kochin Jew is the famed 20th century hair stylist Vidal Sassoon) and I have not built the world’s oldest surviving cathedral in Kerala, nor received the Crown of Martyrdom from an enraged Hindu Rajah (which unfortunately would not be the last example of Hindu persecution of Christians which has recently increased in frequency and severity under the premiership of Narendra Modi).

So really, I am quite wretched to the point of being a slubberdegulion, to use an old insult, and in my youth I was a feckless hobbledehoy.

That said, if you do hang upon my words, please perhaps consider helping me if only to a minimal extent with liturgical work and scholarship and also homiletics. I feel we need more Anglicans working on the BCP project and a contemporary language version (I really dislike the 2019 BCP and want to provide something which could actually replace the 1928 BCP for Continuing Anglicans and be useful for Episcopalians, indeed, a contender for the 1979 BCP replacement, or for adaptation into it, since all the work LiturgyWorks does is public domain). But we have eight other projects not counting the website which I still haven’t launched owing to lethargy despite that being my task.

It would also be good to have someone of your perspective onboard as our current team is not theologically diverse enough. I am hoping to recruit @Methodized @Paidiske @bekkilyn and a few others in order to ensure a sufficient diversity of opinion. The idea is basically to provide public domain or open source liturgical resources and eventually hymnals, that are compiled from existing material, and which can contain new material provided it is of really good quality, so churches can have a free resource for the digital age. And to make it modular. Also I could really use the help of some United Methodists in getting the 1946 and 1964/65 Books of Worship (not the hymnals, mind you, just the Book of Worship, which is a service book only) made open source or released into the public domain, although I expect the copyright on them may have been allowed to lapse (but it could still be in effect, for another 15 years in the case of the 1946 book and another 30-35 years in the case of the 1965 book). However a lot of hymnals and service books from that era have been allowed to lapse, in terms of copyright, for example, the exquisite 1973 Moravian hymnal and service book, which is one of the last to be made using traditional language.

LiturgyWorks needs diversity, because right now the liturgical text committee consists only of theologically conservative men, and our only woman is on the music committee, with two men, but she is the chairman of it (by the way, someone can serve in both committees but unfortunately we don’t have anyone doing that yet either, and the music committee is theoretically subordinated to the liturgics committee just because the latter has more votes. There is also the Evangelion Committee which consists of three members and exists solely to provide an alternative to Hovniak’s Church Supply for Eastern Orthodox liturgical Gospel Books and they are in the prototype state, and their members are part of the Liturgical Texts committee). Now in practice this isn’t a problem, because each team member is responsible for the projects they are working on and has the freedom to work on any project they want provided it won’t create controversy for LiturgyWorks as a whole (being an ecumenical group is enough of a barrier; we can’t risk alienating anyone with anything controversial, however, because everything we do is in the public domain, a member can just use our resources for their own projects if its deemed controversial for the core group. The test of controversy for projectsthe LiturgyWorks brand is simple: if we do this, will it alienate any of the groups we are producing content for, such as the Assyrian Church of the East, the Eastern Orthodox, the Syriac Orthodox, and what is presently called the United Methodist Church?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I understand your perspective and I want you to share it and I want @PloverWing to share his views in the thread I am posting.

I look forward to that thread.

I'm not Methodist, so I haven't been posting in this forum, though I've been reading some of what's been posted about the developing schism. My only contact with Methodist worship was occasionally worshipping at Duke Chapel when I was a student there. @seeking.IAM , I think you may have liked their worship style. It's a Gothic-style church, with traditional hymns and an impressive organ, and the crucifer, choir, and clergy would process in at the beginning of the service. The only thing that was really missing was kneelers.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I look forward to that thread.

I'm not Methodist, so I haven't been posting in this forum, though I've been reading some of what's been posted about the developing schism. My only contact with Methodist worship was occasionally worshipping at Duke Chapel when I was a student there. @seeking.IAM , I think you may have liked their worship style. It's a Gothic-style church, with traditional hymns and an impressive organ, and the crucifer, choir, and clergy would process in at the beginning of the service. The only thing that was really missing was kneelers.

Their servies are exquisite and stream on YouTube. I frequently listen to them.

I even observe services of churches and religions I am theologically opposed to, like the Ecclesia Gnostica. I collect massive amounts of information on other religions and Christian heresy. The study of heresy is particularly informative because I believe the best way to ecumenically define our Christian faith is apophatically, which is to say using the method of negation; basically we can create a Pale of Orthodoxy based on whatever the Early Church deemed heretical before the first lasting schisms erupted due to Nestorius and political intrigue at Chalcedon and Emperor Justinian’s massacre of the Oriental Orthodox (fortunately his wife was one of them).

The only other things in my life which fascinate me as much as religion are intercity passenger rail transport, internationally (most railfans only care about the systems in their own country), aviation, particularly commercial airlines, cars, primarily large sedans with inline 5, inline 6, V8, V10 and V12 engines, public transportation (especially funiculars, aerial tramways, cable cars, streetcars (electric trams) trolleybuses and metros also known as subways, elevated rail and rapid transit), monorails, maglevs, and also architecture, literature (especially science fiction) and jazz (mainly early jazz and swing), classical music (especially sacred music, Baroque music, Ottoman music, Romantic and Post Romantic music (Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Richard Strauss), harpsichord, clavichord and organ music and military band music, especially marches), and the visual arts. A British friend of mine wants to set up a non profit with me to propose mass transit systems, inspired by a group of rebel architects who did designs for years which nothing came of, until eventually their work started being built).

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Liturgist now has me picturing a huge cathedral with a monorail stop in the vestibule. :)

I want to build a monorail system on Mount Athos to connect the monasteries. This might sound ostentatious, but suspended and side-mounted monorails can actually have the lowest visible footprint of any transport system, since you just need enough vertical clearance for the cars to pass, allowing vegetation where roads once existed; suspended monorails can pick up shipping comtainers directly and can, even more so than regular monorails, work without dedicated stations. See the film Fahrenheit 451, the 1960s adaptation, which featured footage of the French SAFEGE monorail, later built on several systems in Japan and Germany, with refinements; the prototype car featured a descending staircase for emergency evacuation but such a system, as was shown in Fahrenheit 451 can also be used for loading and unloading passengers, likewise an elevator can be lowered from one of the cars for wheelchair accessibility, and suspended monorails can also use the roofs of buildings or descend to ground level (or on a mountain like Mount Athos, simply turn towards level ground). A suspended monorail, and also some side mounted monorails, can also, because the trains do not run on top of the beamway, have solar panels mounted on the beamway and these can be used to recharge modern lithium-ion batteries like you find in the Tesla, which combined with regenerative braking and the excellent traction you get with rubber tires, make the system very energy efficient and capable of operating during a blackout, an important consideration on Mount Athos. Also utility services can be consolidated into the monorail right-of-way.

Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Liturgist now has me picturing a huge cathedral with a monorail stop in the vestibule. :)

By the way have you thought of joining the Order of St. Luke as a celibate Methodist? I feel that if a schism must happen, it is important that the OSL be preserved across both denominations.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
By the way have you thought of joining the Order of St. Luke as a celibate Methodist? I feel that if a schism must happen, it is important that the OSL be preserved across both denominations.

I haven't felt called to anything like that lately, but I am curious to see what happens with the various organizations that are associated with the UMC and if they would just continue as is but be associated with both UMC and GMC. Also, I wonder if pastors would really need to choose between them. I could easily see a system where a pastor could be licensed in UMC for one appointment and then serve in GMC for the next appointment, basically serving wherever there is need between the two.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Also, I wonder if pastors would really need to choose between them. I could easily see a system where a pastor could be licensed in UMC for one appointment and then serve in GMC for the next

I've heard one UMC pastor say there is no question about where he must go because he took a vow. I presume that means an ordination vow. If there is an ordination vow that pledges loyalty to the UMC, what is its language exactly?

• Informative
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I've heard one UMC pastor say there is no question about where he must go because he took a vow. I presume that means an ordination vow. If there is an ordination vow that pledges loyalty to the UMC, what is its language exactly?

Here is the wording per the Services for the Ordering of Ministry in The United Methodist Church, 2017-2020

880 Will you be loyal to The United Methodist Church, 881 accepting and upholding its order, liturgy, doctrine, and discipline, 882 defending it against all doctrines contrary to God’s Holy Word, 883 and committing yourself to be accountable with those serving with you, 884 and to the bishop and those who are appointed to supervise your ministry? 885 886 I will, with the help of God.

https://gbod-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/legacy/kintera-files/worship/2017-2020_Ordinal-FINAL.pdf

However, a pastor need not necessarily be disloyal by serving a church outside of the UMC or even serving a non-Methodist church. I've known a UMC elder who served as pastor for a Presbyterian church for a time and one of my mentors who is licensed to serve a UMC church was ordained Southern Baptist, so there are provisions for pastors to serve churches outside the UMC or come from other denominations.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Here is the wording per the Services for the Ordering of Ministry in The United Methodist Church, 2017-2020

880 Will you be loyal to The United Methodist Church, 881 accepting and upholding its order, liturgy, doctrine, and discipline, 882 defending it against all doctrines contrary to God’s Holy Word, 883 and committing yourself to be accountable with those serving with you, 884 and to the bishop and those who are appointed to supervise your ministry? 885 886 I will, with the help of God.

https://gbod-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/legacy/kintera-files/worship/2017-2020_Ordinal-FINAL.pdf

However, a pastor need not necessarily be disloyal by serving a church outside of the UMC or even serving a non-Methodist church. I've known a UMC elder who served as pastor for a Presbyterian church for a time and one of my mentors who is licensed to serve a UMC church was ordained Southern Baptist, so there are provisions for pastors to serve churches outside the UMC or come from other denominations.

It seems to me like 882 and 881 preclude the possibility of either schism or deviation from the Traditional Plan adopted in 2018? So apparently these are being ignored, which I think is a mistake. As an alternative to the destructive schism in the UMC, I think the solution would be to release the clergy who disagree with the Traditional Plan to the UCC, and allow for them to continue to hold church services in UMC facilities. The UCC is inclusive enough to accomodate liberal Wesleyans, and part of the solution to the decline in mainline membership I believe should consist of forming a single united progressive denomination modeled on the Uniting Church in Australia and the United Church of Canada which would agree to share resources like real estate, charitable operations and church pensions with conservatives. The problem is right now the UCC and ECUSA are shrinking fast, whereas the UUA is growing, and we really don’t want liberal Christians joining the UUA, which is basically post-Christian, so a united progressive church is needed as a bulwark against the expansion of the UUA, one which should aggressively and forcefully compete with the UUA and point out the nonsense of the UUA’s transcendentalist non-theology.

The common enemies of mainstream Protestantism are the non denominational megachurches of the Prosperity Gospel type, and groups like the UUA that target liberal members, and Mormons and J/Ws who go after conservatives. The allies of mainstream and mainline Protestantism are probably the Eastern churches and the Roman Catholics.

Upvote 0

Methodized

Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It seems to me like 882 and 881 preclude the possibility of either schism or deviation from the Traditional Plan adopted in 2018?

Sometimes the vows are in contradiction with each other. As are our baptismal vows. For example, if you believe a current prevision of the Book of Discipline seriously violates the teachings of scripture, which you have vowed to uphold, which provision to you follow? I think it is pretty clear that scripture trumps a human written document like the Discipline. In such a case you have to advocate for the changing of the Discipline.

Our baptismal vows, which are also binding, say that we are to oppose evil, injustice and oppression in whatever forms they present themselves. If a provision of the Discipline leads to oppression or injustice, it also has to be opposed.

To further complicate things, the whole Discipline is not considered "doctrine." Only certain sections of the BOD are considered "doctrine." Much of the book are rules of procedure that are change every 4 years with a simple majority vote of the General Conference.

I cannot believe that John Wesley would ever accept the idea that a human written set of rules would allow us to set aside our obedience to Holy Scripture.

Upvote 0