Do United Methodist still hang out here?

Methodized

God is love and in God there is no darkness.
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The associate dean of the General Baptist seminary I attended in Indiana was LLP at the UMC church in the town where the seminary was located, in spite of the fact he was ordained a General Baptist.

Yes, Licensing is different than ordination. Persons from other denominations can be licensed to preach in UM church with approval of a District Committee on Ordained Ministry and them meeting requirements of the Board of Ordained Ministry. Of course, they still have to be appointed by a Bishop.

An Elder (active and not retired) in the UMC must be given permission from the Bishop and the cabinet to receive approval to serve in a church of another denomination. Part of our ordination vows includes our willingness to be appointed as the Bishop sees fit. So these requests don't have to be granted.

We have some denominations that we have full communion agreements with. It is easier to serve in those denominations because we already have an arrangement. But it still required approval by your Bishop and the Bishop (or equivalent) in the other denomination. Methodist pastors aren't free agents.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a practicing Catholic, but I recently bought a Methodist worship book (I have been collecting and reading a wide variety of worship material and prayerbooks recently). I will read it soon when I get through some of my other books on my TBR list.

I noticed it is very similar to the Book of Common Prayer (I use this daily for my prayer/devotional time). The Great Thanksgiving mentioned in the Methodist one is very similar to a Catholic Mass and it even had an "Old Rite" thanksgiving prayer much like Rite 1 in the BOC.

I know very little about John and Charles Wesley, though. It was my understanding they always remained Anglican.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I'm a practicing Catholic, but I recently bought a Methodist worship book (I have been collecting and reading a wide variety of worship material and prayerbooks recently). I will read it soon when I get through some of my other books on my TBR list.

I noticed it is very similar to the Book of Common Prayer (I use this daily for my prayer/devotional time). The Great Thanksgiving mentioned in the Methodist one is very similar to a Catholic Mass and it even had an "Old Rite" thanksgiving prayer much like Rite 1 in the BOC.

I know very little about John and Charles Wesley, though. It was my understanding they always remained Anglican.

Yes, Methodism was always supposed to remain a revival movement within the Anglican Church, but there were events such as the American Revolution that made it too difficult for American Methodists to continue to be connected to the Church of England and receive sacraments. So while Methodism did end up becoming its own denomination with the help of John Wesley who recognized the problems, it wasn't because of a disagreement over theology but more a matter of practicality at the time. It also did not involve anyone like Wesley *leaving* the Anglican Church to create a new one.

I'm simplifying a lot, but that's the gist of it.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

It sounds like you got the 1989 United Methodist Book of Worship, which I have to confess I find less interesting than the 1965 Methodist Episcopal Book of Worship, which is one of the most comprehensive Euchologions I have ever seen. For example, it contains formal Jacobean English collects for the blessing of a nuclear power plant, and for the space age, among other more frequently useful ones. I have used it myself in my ministry just because of how thorough it is after I was introduced to it by a Methodist colleague. Unfortunately no one has called me up yet to bless their nuclear reactor, but its a dream. Maybe in the event that happens I should wear a specially made stole with the yellow radiation trefoil interspersed with crosses? No? Too obvious? Ah, well. :liturgy:

• Haha
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Methodized

Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, Methodism was always supposed to remain a revival movement within the Anglican Church, but there were events such as the American Revolution that made it too difficult for American Methodists to continue to be connected to the Church of England and receive sacraments. So while Methodism did end up becoming its own denomination with the help of John Wesley who recognized the problems, it wasn't because of a disagreement over theology but more a matter of practicality at the time. It also did not involve anyone like Wesley *leaving* the Anglican Church to create a new one.

Yes, you most certainly got the gist. I do think there were early opportunities to connect the Methodist Episcopal Church to the also forming Episcopal Church. But it just never worked out.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Yes! That was my understanding as well! Thanks for the clarification!

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It sounds like you got the 1989 United Methodist Book of Worship, which I have to confess I find less interesting than the 1965 Methodist Episcopal Book of Worship, which is one of the most comprehensive Euchologions I have ever seen. For example, it contains formal Jacobean English collects for the blessing of a nuclear power plant, and for the space age, among other more frequently useful ones. I have used it myself in my ministry just because of how thorough it is after I was introduced to it by a Methodist colleague. Unfortunately no one has called me up yet to bless their nuclear reactor, but its a dream. Maybe in the event that happens I should wear a specially made stole with the yellow radiation trefoil interspersed with crosses? No? Too obvious? Ah, well. :liturgy:
I will definitely have to look for the 1965 edition! thanks!

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Agreed. In most of the forums on this site you aren't even allowed to fully discuss human sexuality. So, there is no way to discuss justice issues that have led to our split either.
Both the Methodist and liberal forums allow that. I think the liberal forum would be the only place one could talk about issues affecting all mainline churches, and even there, there are constraints that would make it hard.

I agree that the future of mainline churches is one we should be concerned about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Methodized

Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Both the Methodist and liberal forums allow that. I think the liberal forum would be the only place one could talk about issues affecting all mainline churches, and even there, there are constraints that would make it hard. I agree that the future of mainline churches is one we should be concerned about.

I run into a few interesting people here. But I seldom leave this forum as the rest of the site is just so right wing and the rules are so restraining.

Upvote 0

Methodized

Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
*raises hand* Well, just joined the site today, and started going to a United Methodist church last year.

Welcome to The United Methodist Church, and this forum!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums