• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

do u think aspies are useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gracebewithyou

May 19, 2006
Florida
✟7,937.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If you are are concerned about the public finding out about your AS - my suggestion is that comfort with being AS has not been reached. Sure, it's sometimes a good idea to conceal AS (IMHO) to prevent prejudice, but you should not worry that people might find out by whatever means because it's a part of you and therefore nothing to be embarrased or ashamed about.

At the end of the day, as long as you are being careful (read:wise)with disclosure of your personal self, and are following Gods will in your life then any situation whereby the disclosure of AS yields unpleasant results then approach it from the angle of a challenge that with Gods help you will beat and beyond that be a better person for it. Remember that all suffering has the potential for Good and you can choose to actualise it through seeking Gods will or not...
Words of Wisdom God Bless you..:hug:

Upvote 0

QuiteContrary

Sep 19, 2006
east coast Va.
Visit site
✟15,173.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My son is an Aspie. He is the nicest person I have ever known. Tho' he can't express it the way some do, he is a very loving person. He is 27 and has been on Social Security disability for the last 5 years. September 13th he got married and September 18th he started his 1st job ever !

Upvote 0

faithgoeson

Sep 23, 2006
Missouri
✟8,291.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If you are are concerned about the public finding out about your AS - my suggestion is that comfort with being AS has not been reached. Sure, it's sometimes a good idea to conceal AS (IMHO) to prevent prejudice, but you should not worry that people might find out by whatever means because it's a part of you and therefore nothing to be embarrased or ashamed about.

At the end of the day, as long as you are being careful (read:wise)with disclosure of your personal self, and are following Gods will in your life then any situation whereby the disclosure of AS yields unpleasant results then approach it from the angle of a challenge that with Gods help you will beat and beyond that be a better person for it. Remember that all suffering has the potential for Good and you can choose to actualise it through seeking Gods will or not...
I'd just like to add that Asperger's is a condition---it is not WHO you are. You may be afflicted with it, but it you are not an "aspie" as I have seen typed here. You are a wonderful creation hand-designed by God Himself. You have talents and abilities that maybe only He knows right now, but you are uniquely made by God Himself. He has a plan and a purpose for all of us, Asperger's or not.

Upvote 0

BelindaP

Senior Contributor
Sep 21, 2006
Indianapolis
✟20,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What aren't we good at?
OK, well social situations, etc.

But we are good at analytical thinking.
We tend to be very creative, which make for great artistic work and awesome scientists.
We don't tend to be over-sensitive and aren't cry-babies.

What else?

Upvote 0

rigsby1967

Oct 1, 2006
Bedfordshire
✟7,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Aspies are far from useless, I have a son whith HFA and although he exarsparates (spell) me and his teachers an awfull lot he has alot going for him. His teachers have said he could do so well in his exams as he is very bright but hes not being put in for any because of his behaviour connected to his HFA. We have been told he would make a great scientist and hes brilliant with animals.
All aspies have their own talents, they usually have above normal IQ, and i will say it again they are not useless, hard work maybe yes, useless NO.
rigsxx

Upvote 0

Boltwave

Sep 26, 2005
✟423.00
Faith
Seeker
how? wot r u on bout?
I'm just curious as to how you can even came up with such a question, what do you mean "aspies are useless?" This just seems like typical behaviors, this is why it is not something to be proud of when you get labeled "autistic" because the whole world thinks you're nothing but a slow regression to "normal people", and sometimes it goes a small fraction of the way just to consider one "autistic" so I'm not really sure how this may be appropriate, not trying to start any fights or anything, just my observation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael1968

Oct 16, 2006
✟7,613.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm just curious as to how you can even came up with such a question, what do you mean "aspies are useless?" This just seems like typical behaviors, this is why it is not something to be proud of when you get labeled "autistic" because the whole world thinks you're nothing but a slow regression to "normal people", and sometimes it goes a small fraction of the way just to consider one "autistic" so I'm not really sure how this may be appropriate, not trying to start any fights or anything, just my observation.
Sometimes I feel that way "useless" and sometimes I feel really worthwhile like when I am creating some music and it all comes together. The thing that bothers me is that I totally suck in social situations and I came to the conclusion that I just have to avoid it where ever possible. My ex wife kind of mentioned this aspergers stuff several years ago when we were still together but I am just now starting to read up on it. Interesting. I would dearly love to have close relationships but it never works out. The only person I ever got that close too was my x wife. So here I am feeling like a social outcast but at least I have my music, pets and cigarettes.
My name is Michael by the way, pleased to meet you's.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gal4God

Support Team
Dec 29, 2005
Leicester, UK
Visit site
✟21,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
They can depend on God to help them with their condition, proving that God is greater than our needs. Yes, they have greater limitations than most people, but which of us is not limited compared to God? Our weaknesses are God's opportunities.
thanx accpeted i've stuggle wiv this 4 ages. i thoght 4 years that i was usless 2 God. in the past few months God has helped me know i'm not usless 2 him.
MGB
Fi-Fi

Upvote 0

Accepted

Nov 5, 2006
Lewes, Sussex
✟15,155.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the big problems for Autism & Asperger's sufferers is that so much of the real battle is conducted in private. People judge us by the exterior; they have no comprehension of the internal struggles that can tear at one's soul. But God does. He sees our hearts. He truly knows us. I may not be much use in this world - that is not for me to judge. But if my heart is devoted to God, then my weaknesses are not wasted, but they are precious to Him.

So, I have to realign my value systems to value what God calls precious, and disregard what the world values. The closer I am to God, the more I experience his love and acceptance, the more I grasp my worth to him.

Upvote 0

gal4God

Support Team
Dec 29, 2005
Leicester, UK
Visit site
✟21,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
One of the big problems for Autism & Asperger's sufferers is that so much of the real battle is conducted in private. People judge us by the exterior; they have no comprehension of the internal struggles that can tear at one's soul. But God does. He sees our hearts. He truly knows us. I may not be much use in this world - that is not for me to judge. But if my heart is devoted to God, then my weaknesses are not wasted, but they are precious to Him.

So, I have to realign my value systems to value what God calls precious, and disregard what the world values. The closer I am to God, the more I experience his love and acceptance, the more I grasp my worth to him.
awesome

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.