• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

do u think aspies are useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
You need to find what YOU are good at and use it to your advantage.

Maths aspies think on solving the puzzle of the primes.
Science aspies solve medical/physics and other problems
Arts aspies make work that makes people think.

If your not happy with your own identity as aspie you need to get some help; start with the National Autistic Society, they can put you in contact with support available in your area and recommend drs and so on who know about ASDs.

Upvote 0

Jax_Jaguars_Fan

May 31, 2006
✟15,129.00
Faith
Methodist
taddyMc said:
hi, i'm fionaban's bf. i have noticed she is gud @ music but she says she dosn't want music 2 b a caerrer cos if she gets famous she dosn't want it 2 be made public that she has AS.
wot do u think?
Actually Sia a well known singer in Austrailia has Aspergers if I'm not mistaken.

Upvote 0

createcoms

Mar 13, 2006
Hamilton, New Zealand
✟15,174.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If you are are concerned about the public finding out about your AS - my suggestion is that comfort with being AS has not been reached. Sure, it's sometimes a good idea to conceal AS (IMHO) to prevent prejudice, but you should not worry that people might find out by whatever means because it's a part of you and therefore nothing to be embarrased or ashamed about.

At the end of the day, as long as you are being careful (read:wise)with disclosure of your personal self, and are following Gods will in your life then any situation whereby the disclosure of AS yields unpleasant results then approach it from the angle of a challenge that with Gods help you will beat and beyond that be a better person for it. Remember that all suffering has the potential for Good and you can choose to actualise it through seeking Gods will or not...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

uniquetadpole

I have no problems, just challenges!
Dec 18, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟10,597.00
Faith
Christian
fionaban said:
do u think aspies are useless?
Did you know that Steven Spielberg is an Aspie?

Yes everyone has talents... especially Aspies... we think with a part of our brain NTs don't even bother using... just because they see us as having communications issues...and other non-NT cohesive qualities doesn't make us less human... in all actuality... I would say as a whole Aspies are probably more empathetic and more humane than most NT's... I hope I am not putting my neck too far out on a limb for stating this... but I am realling discovering that my intuitiveness is far better serving me and God than my brain attempting to calculate the complexities of verbal challenges and relationships...

Although with all the "issues" us Aspies have in this world I believe most of us suffer from PTSD to some extent which means that we have learned to disassociate from our true selves in order to cope in this ridiculous NT world... so that makes it difficult for us to get in touch with our true selves... but once you begin to do this...you may not only find that your intuition is a far better judge than your brain...but you might just find that close relationship to God that you have been yearning for... my sprirituality has definitley been affected by my traumatic undiagnosed childhood, but I am steadily returning to my true self and more and more connectedness to God everyday I work on my healing. (But geez...why can't He just snap his fingers LOL)

Upvote 0

we5frogs

Child of God held in Jesus' hand
Apr 26, 2005
Allentown. PA
✟1,363.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God never made anyone or anything that He didn't already know how He could use.

My son will give me hugs when no one else sees a point to - because he loves the deep pressure.

He writes the most beautiful, insightful music and poems, because it is a safe way to communicate, without all those pesty facial features and body language.

He loves the Lord with a passion that many his age don't have, because he hyperfocuses on what is important to him.

He is a great listener, because he hates injustice, and would much rather listen than talk.

He is trustworthy, and will fiercely protect something told to him in confidence, because he is very literal - don't tell anyone means just that (unless he thinks someone is in danger)

He is very honest, sometimes too honest, because he cannot tell a lie - - (he will keep a surprise, but can't wait until it is over so he can tell)!

I could go on and on, not to puff up my son, but to help you try to find all the great things about who you are, and celebrate them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

we5frogs

Child of God held in Jesus' hand
Apr 26, 2005
Allentown. PA
✟1,363.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
fionaban said:
we5frrogs is ur son a aspie?
Yes he is, fionaban, he is 16, and one of the greatest joys of my life!

Far from being useless, both he and you are special, uniquely created by God, and a joy to His heart as well.

Find the special gifts He has given you, and use them as well as your experiences, to serve those around you in whatever way you can. God walks us through any trials we have here on earth, and gives us the strength and tools we need to get through when we rely on Him.

I'll never know on this side of heaven if Gavin (my son) and all the others with challenges in this life are created that way on purpose, or whether life just happens. I do know that either way, God can take anything that we give to Him willingly, and make something beautiful and wonderful from it. So, if we give our whole lives to Him, and trust in Him completely, He can take even our challenges and use them for good.

Like the story of Joseph, when he was reunited with his brothers who were scared because they had meant him harm, he told them that God had used what they had meant for evil, and turned it into something good. God knew even before the brothers ever left him for dead how he was going to bless Joseph, and use him in a big way.

So it is with each of us. If rather than focus on the curves life may throw at us, we concentrate on how God is leading and directing our lives to use those circumstances for good, we too can be used in a big way for the kingdom. He planned it all before we were even born.

Upvote 0

ohsooriginal

May 16, 2006
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a psych major in college and I've sort of picked AS as my pet "disorder". Honestly through all my research I've sort of come to envy people with AS they tend to be more creative in their chosen feild than common people. I read a book called The Genesis of Artistic Creativity: Asperger's Syndrome and the Arts by Michael Fitzgerald he went though all sorts of creative feilds from the arts to philosophy and found evidance to suport that genious people like George Orwel and Andy Warhol were possibly cases of undiagnosed AS. Just follow your passion the Lord blesses us with "weakness" so that he can show his strength and oftentimes what we thought hurt us really gives us just what we need to succeed.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I agree with everybody that has posted, except that the NAS have little or no local facilities or services, no doctors know about autism spectrum conditions, and the DDA hasn't deterred anyone discriminating (and is due to be watered down next year anyway).

(That's not a bad reflection on the DDA but on the discriminators)

You and I and Frogs' son have splinter skills, we do a couple of things well and that's all. That doesn't make us useless in God's eyes which are the most important.

Church environments are geared to people 'fitting in' therefore if you don't act like the average sociable English or German or American person, you don't get helped to be part of any church.

Able bodied individuals appear to think they can afford to tell vulnerable brothers and sisters not to pray from a written record and not to believe what was taught them by others.

As a gift of unity embodied in me I try to accept 'Christian' teaching and not reject it. This has cost me my relating, my health and my sanity. My economic wellbeing is apparently next.

Can I suggest you cease to state the name of a political party on your profile, as it raises all kinds of vague and obviously unanswerable question marks over your relationship with the organisation concerned, with all the knock on effects of that on your participation. Many thanks.

Upvote 0

gal4God

Support Team
Dec 29, 2005
Leicester, UK
Visit site
✟28,819.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Can I suggest you cease to state the name of a political party on your profile, as it raises all kinds of vague and obviously unanswerable question marks over your relationship with the organisation concerned, with all the knock on effects of that on your participation. Many thanks.
y?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.