Victoria
✟2,141.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
All of the original apostolic Churches, without exception, share your beliefs about the Eucharist, and have held that belief since the beginning. Jesus said "this is my body" and "this is my blood". St. Paul specifically identifies the Eucharist as "the Lord's body".

If it is not the body and blood of Christ when did it cease to be?

It never was as Jews were forbidden to eat human flesh and drink human blood.

Upvote 0

Dick Barton

Aug 4, 2021
Victoria
✟2,141.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If you say that Jesus was full of fruit juice, no problem.

26 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” 27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the[c] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.”

The fact that he said he would not drink again of this fruit of the vine shows that it was not blood.

Upvote 0

Dick Barton

Aug 4, 2021
Victoria
✟2,141.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Eucharist as the body and blood of Christ is not an interpretation of scripture. No one found a bible one day and made a decision about it. It was taught by the apostles before the new testament was written.

Sorry but that is not the case. Being Jews it would be anathema to drink human blood and eat human flesh, so it was clearly metaphorical.

Upvote 0

Dick Barton

Aug 4, 2021
Victoria
✟2,141.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Cannibalism necessarily harms the one being eaten. Christ suffers no loss by giving us His flesh. Cannibalism involves consuming the dead flesh of the one being eaten. Christ gives us His living flesh.
Ergo, it isn't cannibalism.
If he gave his flesh to eat they would have refused it as the Law forbade the eating of human flesh.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It never was as Jews were forbidden to eat human flesh and drink human blood.

1Co 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

1Co 10:17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

1Co 10:18 Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar?

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Dick Barton

Aug 4, 2021
Victoria
✟2,141.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
1Co 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

1Co 10:17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

1Co 10:18 Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar?
So what are you saying? Listing verses means nothing.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe that the bread and wine are actually the body and blood of Christ. I don't see any shame in it. Some will go as far to say we are bringing shame to God for thinking it is his body and blood.

Jesus did not say it was symbolic. Are they adding to the word?

Yes, I think so, but out of ignorance.

• Agree
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It was metaphorical as Jews were forbidden to eat human flesh or drink human blood.
Oh, so God himself was constrained by the laws and customs of the Jews? That's interesting to read, considering that the New Testament shows him violating those rules time after time.

And yes, the Apostles were surprised at Jesus' instructions regarding his body and blood, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have meant what he meant and did.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Oh, so God himself was constrained by the laws and customs of the Jews? That's interesting to read, considering that the New Testament shows him violating those rules time after time.

And yes, the Apostles were surprised at Jesus' instructions regarding his body and blood, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have meant what he meant and did.

We are treading on very thin ice here, as you know. Was Jesus a slab of wood with some metal fasteners?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,676.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said, "I am the door." (John 10:7)
A "door" is the means by which someone enters. It is utter foolishness to limit it to a piece of hardware.
Jesus is the entry way to salvation.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
A "door" is the means by which someone enters. It is utter foolishness to limit it to a piece of hardware.
Jesus is the entry way to salvation.

Precisely. Thus, we are in agreement that Jesus did not literally mean what He said when He said He is the door (or the vine, for that matter).

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,676.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Precisely. Thus, we are in agreement that Jesus did not literally mean what He said when He said He is the door (or the vine, for that matter).
No, Jesus is literally the entry way to salvation. He is, literally, the door, just not the silly understanding of wood and hinges that you put forth.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jesus did say he was the door. But that's all. The analogy is obvious, as Prodromos pointed out.

But when he instituted the Lord's Supper, that wasn't the end of it. He went much further, articulating the meaning, connecting it to his coming sacrifice, instructing the Apostles in how to use it, how often, and more.

Upvote 0