Do Protestant churches accept Catholic baptism as valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
1. In Romans 6 the symbol is stated to be that of death burial and resurrection - only full water baptism does that.
Says who?
2. In the Gospels "and coming up out of the water" Jesus was baptized by John and I know of no actual denomination that thinks John "sprinkled rose pedals on Jesus".
So then why don't you believe John 6 literally? Pick and choose!
3. 1 Peter 3 makes it clear that Baptism must include the "appeal to God for a clean conscience" not even possible for infants.
But parents may speak for their children until they're of an appropriate age. And we continue the education of children until that age, and deepen what Baptism actually does.
4. Acts 2 makes it clear that repentance is a prerequisite for baptism - not even possible for infants.
See above. But what much an infant repent of???
5. Even the RCC admits that there were times when the early church found no reason at all for baptism of infants. It did nothing.
Except that it's a requirement for the next stages-First Holy Communion and Confirmation...
6. The value of infant baptism requires the imagined powers/holy water/magic-sacrament idea that something the priest or the water does - makes a change in the infant outside of any choice to accept Christ, or repent, or appeal for forgiveness... A foundational concept to the practice with not a hint of justification in scripture.

in Christ,

Bob
It's the power of the Holy Spirit that does all that. Holy Water is a sacramentAL, not a sacrament.

Upvote 0

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
Nope. I'm wondering at the reasoning. Those that do accept it, fine, I believe, as it should be. FYI I would bet that those that do understand baptism to be an indelible mark on the soul. I'm not bemoaning anything. I'm wondering at the whys. I mean Protestants disparage that we call Protestants "separated" bretheren (though bretheren nonetheless), but then they don't seem to accept us as Christian at all!

This just seems like such a non-issue. Baptism is personal. It's between you and God. It doesn't matter.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Your baptism didn't save you, is all, like you might think it did. Baptism doesn't save.
Baptism has many benefits for the believers, but the most important is the forgiveness of sin. We hear this when Peter tells those in Jerusalem that it is baptism that brings the forgiveness of sin (Acts 3:38).

When Paul was recounting his conversion to the crowd in Jerusalem, he stated that he was to be baptized which washed away his sins (Acts 22:16).

In Acts, we see other benefits of baptism that God gives to the believer such as the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

In Romans, Paul writes that we receive new life in Christ when we are baptized (Rom. 6:4). We also see that baptism removes our sins (Titus 3:5-6).

Peter writes about baptism is his first letter about how the Great Flood was a symbolic form of baptism for Noah and his family since it saved them. Peter clearly teaches that baptism now saves us. Baptism is the pledge of a good conscience. Baptism saves us by Christ’s resurrection. This is consistent with what Paul wrote in Romans 6.

It is wrong to conclude that baptism is the only way of salvation. Baptism is a way of salvation that God has given us. We find examples of those who were saved through baptism and those saved prior to their baptism or with no baptism at all.

Who is doing the Work?

When you read these verses, who is acting and who is passive? God is active in baptism while we are passive. We can only receive what God gives through baptism.

In Acts 4:38, Peter states that we receive both forgiveness of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit in baptism. We are the passive players in this action.

In both the Romans and the Titus verses, we are passive in this act. Titus 3:5-6 states that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are the active players “He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit”. In Titus 3:6, the only part we play is passive “. . . so that having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.” An heir does not merit their inheritance, but is given to them by the generosity of another.

Who should be baptized?

Jesus simply states that we are to baptize all nations. There is no limit to gender, ethnic/nationality or age in his command.

Likewise, Peter instructed those on Pentecost that baptism and the promises associated with it is for both the adults and their children. In Acts 16:32, the jailer and all of his family were baptized into the faith after Paul and Silas presented the Gospel to the jailer.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Error should always be corrected. I don't agree that 'most' Christians believe it. That is also a matter for debate. You aren't oblidged to continue to respond to me.
Catholics make up the vast majority of Christendom, about 2/3 of it, and we believe it.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just because you believe it doesn't make it true, even if millions of people believe it. It is extra-biblical.
It's not, but it's inferred. Nobody has answered the question about where Peter immersed 5000 people and their households when he baptized them. What makes it true is Christ's authority, which he gave to Peter and the apostles. That's what we go by.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't say. Scripture doesn't say. If what you say is true, then most Christians have been led astray to believe the inventions of man.

So you say. Others think Scripture does give enough evidence of infant baptism for it to have been practiced in the churches since ancient times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Just because the majority believe something doesn't make it correct.
It really doesn't matter whether the majority is right or wrong, at least not as far as this thread is concerned. The question was: "Do Protestant churches accept Catholic baptism as valid?"...and the answer is this--
Yes, by and large, they do.

Reactions: CalmRon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Scripture has zero applications for infant baptism. John's baptism was a baptism of repentance.
How many places does Scripture mention infants, at all, other than Jesus?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It really doesn't matter whether the majority is right or wrong, at least not as far as this thread is concerned. The question was: "Do Protestant churches accept Catholic baptism as valid?"...and the answer is this--
Yes, by and large, they do.
So, if I go into a Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist, etc. etc. church and say I'm a baptized Catholic who wants to become <insert denom here>, they won't ask me to be baptized as part of it?

Upvote 0

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
So, if I go into a Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist, etc. etc. church and say I'm a baptized Catholic who wants to become <insert denom here>, they won't ask me to be baptized as part of it?

Why bother making the announcement? Your baptism is a private matter.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Why are you making my point for me?
Well, I'm not. But in those place I mentioned above, the jailer AND HIS ENTIRE HOUSEHOLD, the 5000 AND THEIR HOUSEHOLDS and so on, were baptized. Households, by and large, have children in them, who were baptized, too. And infants, too. It is inferred. It's never excluded. And again, baptism, described by Paul as replacing circumcision, was done to children for the most part. And converts.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.