Pennsylvania
✟17,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What do you think do dogs and cats , and any household pets go to heaven and have eternal life ?

Personally I hope that they do . I have had a few great dogs and cats over the years and cannot imagine eternal life without them .

Any answers would be great weather biblical or just opinions : )

pinkputter

unending love, amazing grace
May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
Well I am tickled by this thread topic. lol.

I am the same in that I have hopes that they do. They mean a lot to me in my life now. Anytime I am down, and when people let me down, I can look at my dog and he's always there and doesnt let me down the way humans can.

But knowing that, and knowing in Heaven we will be perfect and not sin, do you think we need cats/dogs/other animals? Maybe God will decide we don't need them. and that maybe they were just meant for this world. Who knows..

I do know the Bible has references about ALL things being NEW.
My hope is that dogs and cats will be in this category.

Observing on the outside, I truly feel a sense of spirituality in the animal world. I think animals have the ability to sense God and accept his Spirit in their life.

A dear friend of mine told me of a story of a pagan woman who practiced witchcraft. She was a mean old woman and had a lot of hate for the world. Her dog was just as mean and couldn't get along with humans or animals alike. Well, eventually over the years, the woman's heart softened. She accepted Jesus Christ as Savior. The dog's personality made a complete 180. So what do you think?

I think it is totally possible. I think God has a heart for us, his children, but also for his critters too:) would be ideal to have them there with us. just my 2 cents!

Upvote 0

docpotter

Too blessed to be stressed
Jul 13, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟17,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well there is scripture that says about how lions will lay down with lambs , and babies will lay with vipers , and they won't come to any harm . I 100 % think that when I die I will be greeted by some super happy dogs running right at me : )

Upvote 0

docpotter

Jul 13, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟17,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Docpotter,

Only spirit will go to heaven :) and only human consist of mind, body, and spirit
Hey Fortheus ,

Thanks for the post , but is there any scripture you know of that mentions that ?

And is it not possible that my Golden Retriever , who was made by God has a spirit ?

Upvote 0

fortheus

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
✟15,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Docpotter,

I try to specify in points:
1. Heaven is spiritual place.
If we agree on this, meaning, only living things with spirit can be there.

2. The creation
If you notice, during the creation process, God said something, then it's there. But something different with human. God said 'Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness'. Then God formed a man, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being. God is spirit so a man will have a spirit.

3. Isaiah 11 is categorized as poetry, so it may not translated literally

Upvote 0

Pandarine

Half red panda, half wolverine.
Sep 13, 2011
✟7,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to the Hebrew both man and animal are classified as having a spirit. A different word is used for man, but the word usually translated as animal is actually translated as Spirit. So that proves to me that animals have a spirit as well.

It is US that messed things up for the animals. Not the other way around. The Bible is a book written for humans. This does not necessarily mean that God doesn't have his own deal for animals.

Upvote 0

bsd31

Aug 16, 2009
South of Canada, North of Mexico
✟17,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi Docpotter,

I try to specify in points:
1. Heaven is spiritual place.
If we agree on this, meaning, only living things with spirit can be there.

2. The creation
If you notice, during the creation process, God said something, then it's there. But something different with human. God said 'Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness'. Then God formed a man, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being. God is spirit so a man will have a spirit.

3. Isaiah 11 is categorized as poetry, so it may not translated literally

And yet we will all have physical bodies, resurrected for the judgment. Are you saying that after the judgment we will return to a spiritual state?

Upvote 0

fortheus

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
✟15,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
According to the Hebrew both man and animal are classified as having a spirit. A different word is used for man, but the word usually translated as animal is actually translated as Spirit. So that proves to me that animals have a spirit as well.

It is US that messed things up for the animals. Not the other way around. The Bible is a book written for humans. This does not necessarily mean that God doesn't have his own deal for animals.

Hi Pandarin,

Can you quote the verse that saying this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

docpotter

Jul 13, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟17,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well , I saw a young man from Latin America ,that claimed he was shown a vision of Heaven . The first thing he saw in Heaven was a deer drinking water . Granted he could have been making this up , but I believed he was sincere .

Isaiah 11 : 6 gives quite a few examples of animals in the afterlife , unless I am reading the chapter out of context . It seems to me he is speaking of the afterlife , or the return of Christ .

Here are some other scriptures that I believe backs up animals going to heaven :

Revelation 5:13
"And EVERY creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and ALL that are in them, hear I saying, "Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the lamb forever and ever."

Genesis : 9, 13-17
The same fate awaits man and animals alike.

(Ecclesiastes 3:18-21 TEV)
"I decided that God is testing us, to show us that we are no better than animals. After all, the same fate awaits man and animals alike. One dies just like the other. They are the same kind of creature. A human being is no better off than an animal, because life has no meaning for either. They are both going to the same place -- the dust. They both came from it; they will both go back to it. How can anyone be sure that a man's spirit goes upward while an animal's spirit goes down into the ground?"

(Job 12:9-10 KJV)
The Book of Job says: "Who knoweth not in all these that the hand of the Lord hath wrought this? In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind."

(Romans 8:21-22 KJV)
"Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now."

Proverbs 12:10
"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal."

Psalm 145:-9-10,13,15-21 AMP
Though all creatures are subject to man's cruelty, God loves all His creation and has made plans for all His children and the lesser creatures to enjoy His eternal Kingdom.

Upvote 0

DArceri

Exercise daily -- walk with the Lord.
Nov 14, 2006
✟11,256.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Folks, I think the last thing that will be on your minds when your in the Glory of the presence of Jesus Christ (along with all the Apostles and prophets, ie. Abraham, Isaac, Isaiah, Paul, Peter, Mary, ....etc) will be whether your pet will be there for you. If your focus is on the benefits of Heaven rather than being in the presence of the Glory of Christ, then your spiritual walk is still self-centered in nature.

Mt 8: 11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fortheus

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
✟15,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well , I saw a young man from Latin America ,that claimed he was shown a vision of Heaven . The first thing he saw in Heaven was a deer drinking water . Granted he could have been making this up , but I believed he was sincere .

Isaiah 11 : 6 gives quite a few examples of animals in the afterlife , unless I am reading the chapter out of context . It seems to me he is speaking of the afterlife , or the return of Christ .

Here are some other scriptures that I believe backs up animals going to heaven :

Revelation 5:13
"And EVERY creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and ALL that are in them, hear I saying, "Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the lamb forever and ever."

Genesis : 9, 13-17
The same fate awaits man and animals alike.

(Ecclesiastes 3:18-21 TEV)
"I decided that God is testing us, to show us that we are no better than animals. After all, the same fate awaits man and animals alike. One dies just like the other. They are the same kind of creature. A human being is no better off than an animal, because life has no meaning for either. They are both going to the same place -- the dust. They both came from it; they will both go back to it. How can anyone be sure that a man's spirit goes upward while an animal's spirit goes down into the ground?"

(Job 12:9-10 KJV)
The Book of Job says: "Who knoweth not in all these that the hand of the Lord hath wrought this? In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind."

(Romans 8:21-22 KJV)
"Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now."

Proverbs 12:10
"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal."

Psalm 145:-9-10,13,15-21 AMP
Though all creatures are subject to man's cruelty, God loves all His creation and has made plans for all His children and the lesser creatures to enjoy His eternal Kingdom.

Hi Docpotter,

1. About revelation 5:13, every creature on heaven and earth....animals included...but in the earth

2. Genesis 9 is about God convenant with noah that God will not bring another flood to destroy all life

3. Ecclesiates 3, is more like a sarcasm about life injustice. Here's the header about book of ecclesiates. Taken from NLT study bible. I can't copy all as it's copyrighted material and the link is password protected.

THE BOOK OF
ECCLESIASTES
Ecclesiastes challenges us to think deeply about very basic questions. Life and all it contains appears to be a meaningless vapor, here today and gone tomorrow. Even so, life need not be without purpose. Ecclesiastes recommends wisdom, righteous living, finding purpose in remembering our Creator, and keeping God’s commands. Then we can experience joy in the life God has given us.

4. Job 12, NIV translates as life. Will need to check the original word which is nefesh and ruakh. Will need further checking on this. the NET translate it as life as well.

5. Romans 8, start reading from verse 18 should help to understand the overall picture. It's about revelation of God's children.

6.Proverbs 12, take care of animals/pets doesn't relate anything that pets will go to heaven.

7. Psalm 145, Lord goodness is for all his creation. His kingdom stays forever. But I don't see saying that all creature enjoying his eternal kingdom.

Here's the verse quoted from verse 9-21

9The Lord is good to all, and His tender mercies are over all His works [the entirety of things created].

10All Your works shall praise You, O Lord, and Your loving ones shall bless You [affectionately and gratefully shall Your saints confess and praise You]!

11They shall speak of the glory of Your kingdom and talk of Your power,

12To make known to the sons of men God's mighty deeds and the glorious majesty of His kingdom.

13Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and Your dominion endures throughout all generations.

14The Lord upholds all those [of His own] who are falling and raises up all those who are bowed down.

15The eyes of all wait for You [looking, watching, and expecting] and You give them their food in due season.

16You open Your hand and satisfy every living thing with favor.

17The Lord is [rigidly] righteous in all His ways and gracious and merciful in all His works.

18The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him sincerely and in truth.

19He will fulfill the desires of those who reverently and worshipfully fear Him; He also will hear their cry and will save them.

20The Lord preserves all those who love Him, but all the wicked will He destroy.

21My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord; and let all flesh bless (affectionately and gratefully praise) His holy name forever and ever.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To be honest, to fully understand the bible is a tough task. We need to undertand the context, original words, the author, the tradition at the time, etc.

My suggestion is get one of good bible study.My preference is NLT study bible as it provides good insight and especially it has online version with hyperlink to crosschecks the verse.

Upvote 0

fortheus

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
✟15,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if my walk is " self centered " , I have no kids and my pets are really liek my children , and would I not want them to be with me for all of eternity ?

No you are not self centered. It's understandable affection with your pets. When we go to heaven, we will be with God, and nothing else would matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fulcrum

Jan 20, 2010
Co.Mayo, Ireland
Visit site
✟8,183.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Going to sound very, very weird now, however I believe something of an animal must survive its death. We had a pet cat that liked nothing better than to run up and down our hall carpet every morning when we first let him in the house from the back garage. He would run up and down it fast, like a little racehorse. Next morning after it was killed on the road as we were lying in bed we clearly heard it running up and down the hall carpet just as it normally did. All doors closed and the cat buried. That was the only morning we heard that.

Upvote 0

Fulcrum

Jan 20, 2010
Co.Mayo, Ireland
Visit site
✟8,183.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is an amazing story Fulcrum , I believe that was your cat saying " i am ok , love ya , see ya all soon "

: )

Yes I think you are right about that. We had taken the cat in as a stray. What I do accept for myself is that there certainly is more going on in this world than we understand.

Upvote 0

Lenity

Oct 14, 2011
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't think soulless animals bear testimony to the mercy of God. I thought about mercy for a long time one day, and I came to the conclusion that the essence of mercy is God creating us and saying "you need not ever perish". His mercies extend to more than just us, but we tend to think arrogantly, and many people underestimate the intelligence of animals and treat them poorly because of it. I believe God's spirit is within all creation, and as such all animals will be with Him in His kingdom.

Upvote 0
M

Mommyhasfaith

Going to sound very, very weird now, however I believe something of an animal must survive its death. We had a pet cat that liked nothing better than to run up and down our hall carpet every morning when we first let him in the house from the back garage. He would run up and down it fast, like a little racehorse. Next morning after it was killed on the road as we were lying in bed we clearly heard it running up and down the hall carpet just as it normally did. All doors closed and the cat buried. That was the only morning we heard that.

I had a similar thing happen to me when my beloved cat passed. She used to get on top of our entertainment center. A few days after she died a picture fell over on top of the entertainment center. It made me smile because im sure it was her.

Upvote 0