Do People sit down and not sing in your church??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Truth in worship is the key. John 4:24 says "God is spirit and his worshipers MUST worship in spirit and truth." (emphasis added)

If I were the pastor or worship leader I would do a "switcher-oo" on them. One Sunday in a sermon I would address the different ways that people worship God.

If a person views God as their "buddy" then maybe they feel comfortable talking and singing to him in a seated, "face to face" level. If they view God as a respected leader in their lives then they might stand and raise their hands to show Him honor and respect. If they view God as Holy, righteous, and the supreme and omnipotent being of the universe then they should be face down in worship in front of Him. If being in the presence of God brings them total joy then they can express that in dancing so long as it does not detract from the worship of others.

then for the last song of the service I would offer them a choice--they can choose this day how they personally want to worship God, but they must worship in truth. How somebody chooses to worship even in a corporate setting should be an individual response to God so long as that response does not detract others from worshiping. And that's not to say that they will always have the same response every Sunday.

Upvote 0

Nice Dream

Jun 6, 2005
✟15,736.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Conservative
pdudgeon said:
Truth in worship is the key. John 4:24 says "God is spirit and his worshipers MUST worship in spirit and truth." (emphasis added)

If I were the pastor or worship leader I would do a "switcher-oo" on them. One Sunday in a sermon I would address the different ways that people worship God.

If a person views God as their "buddy" then maybe they feel comfortable talking and singing to him in a seated, "face to face" level. If they view God as a respected leader in their lives then they might stand and raise their hands to show Him honor and respect. If they view God as Holy, righteous, and the supreme and omnipotent being of the universe then they should be face down in worship in front of Him. If being in the presence of God brings them total joy then they can express that in dancing so long as it does not detract from the worship of others.

then for the last song of the service I would offer them a choice--they can choose this day how they personally want to worship God, but they must worship in truth. How somebody chooses to worship even in a corporate setting should be an individual response to God so long as that response does not detract others from worshiping. And that's not to say that they will always have the same response every Sunday.

You are absolutely correct. Just because people are not making an outward show doesn't mean they are not worshipping God. Some people just feel more comfortable sitting and not singing, worshipping the Lord inwardly People are often considerably less understanding of this form of worship and think the people sitting aren't worshipping God.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nice Dream said:
You are absolutely correct. Just because people are not making an outward show doesn't mean they are not worshipping God. Some people just feel more comfortable sitting and not singing, worshipping the Lord inwardly People are often considerably less understanding of this form of worship and think the people sitting aren't worshipping God.
While I believe that one CAN worship God while they are sitting, most do not. Most sit and not sing because they are tired, they are worried about what other people might think of them if they raised their hands, etc. These are not good reasons to restrict one's worship. If you feel God leading you to sit and worship quietly, that's one thing. But it's something all together different when YOU decide to sit down or not sing because of how you feel or what someone else might think. Seven Places has an excellent song called Even When that describes this very well:

"Even When"

This week, I prayed, one time
My phone, it rang, I put You on the other line
And now my thoughts they drift around
My knees remain unacquainted with the ground
Unless my faith is put to the test and I am forced to bow
Although I'm in this flesh it doesn't mean You shouldn't have the best
from me, from me

[Chorus:]
Even when my eyes are dry
Even when my soul is tired
Even when my hands are heavy, I will lift them up to You
It's not about how I feel, oh Lord I am here for You
I exist for you

I close my eyes but all I see
Is a background of black, bouncy squiggly lines
And this week's mistakes coming back to mind but
I will lift my voice and make a joyful sound
Forget about me, I only get me down
Although I cannot see it doesn't mean I shouldn't sing to You, to You

[Chorus]

You've given me Your life and have held mine together yet I find
Excuses to slouch in my pew
But when glory divine
Is sitting in my very presence, the least that I can do
Is give my all to You, give my all to You

[Chorus]

Upvote 0

Nice Dream

Jun 6, 2005
✟15,736.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Conservative
probinson said:
While I believe that one CAN worship God while they are sitting, most do not. Most sit and not sing because they are tired, they are worried about what other people might think of them if they raised their hands, etc. These are not good reasons to restrict one's worship. If you feel God leading you to sit and worship quietly, that's one thing. But it's something all together different when YOU decide to sit down or not sing because of how you feel or what someone else might think. Seven Places has an excellent song called Even When that describes this very well:

"Even When"

This week, I prayed, one time
My phone, it rang, I put You on the other line
And now my thoughts they drift around
My knees remain unacquainted with the ground
Unless my faith is put to the test and I am forced to bow
Although I'm in this flesh it doesn't mean You shouldn't have the best
from me, from me

[Chorus:]
Even when my eyes are dry
Even when my soul is tired
Even when my hands are heavy, I will lift them up to You
It's not about how I feel, oh Lord I am here for You
I exist for you

I close my eyes but all I see
Is a background of black, bouncy squiggly lines
And this week's mistakes coming back to mind but
I will lift my voice and make a joyful sound
Forget about me, I only get me down
Although I cannot see it doesn't mean I shouldn't sing to You, to You

[Chorus]

You've given me Your life and have held mine together yet I find
Excuses to slouch in my pew
But when glory divine
Is sitting in my very presence, the least that I can do
Is give my all to You, give my all to You

[Chorus]

Worshipping inwardly is not neccessarily restricting one's worship. I agree with the rest of what you said: Christians should put God's will above their own.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nice Dream said:
Worshipping inwardly is not neccessarily restricting one's worship. I agree with the rest of what you said: Christians should put God's will above their own.
I think we agree completely. If God leads you to worship Him inwardly, then it is anything but restrictive. I've had many quiet and refreshing times with God while others were worshipping and singing loudly. But if we're worshipping inwardly because we're afraid of what other people might think of us, then I have a problem with that. We're not to worry about what the guy next to us thinks of us. We're to worship God freely and openly, not worrying about what anyone else thinks.

Upvote 0

Daughter of His

Believing God
Feb 1, 2004
On my computer chair
✟76,711.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Also I've heard of people that get weak in the knees when worshiping and sitting and worshiping is more comfortable for them. They can worship more freely that way not thinking about having difficulty in standing.

A reason I occaisonlly sit is so I can just be quiet and the worship around me is ministering.

Upvote 0

misdeavious

Oct 11, 2005
✟15,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i got to a large church with flip seats, so people don't really notice if i'm sitting down, but sometimes i will, coz i've realised that especially at my church many people stand up and raise their hands at certain parts of the song like it's a method and not really get into it as much - like sometimes i will do that, but other times i'd prefer to sit and just really think about God and stuff and just cry out to him without sorta disturbing someone elses worship...i don't make a habit of it but it's refreshing to do something different than what is somewhat expected. There's no point raising your hands to God and looking like ur worshipping, if ur not. i'd rather look like i'm not but actually be worshipping him coz i don't really care what people say

Upvote 0

EmeraldLily

Sep 13, 2005
WHERE IT'S COLD!!!
✟8,298.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad for all the opinions and points of view it helps me wrap my brain around it all. The pastor and the worship team have taken this in hand and are trying to deal with it-because it is a problem.
This week was different...the family that starts the "wave" was in the back and so it didn't happen. And as I mentioned the pastor and worship team actually said stand up and then later said stay standing if you feel led to do so- and they were also trying to get more people to clap(which I don't do- hands can't handle it-Yes I know I'm bad bad bad).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jillymac said:
A lot in my church sit down and look like they're not singing. I know some of them have "issues" with either the pastor or the worship leader, i know some are old or some cant physically stand for too long. Generally a whole load of people will sit down in our church after a couple of songs cos they seem to think "right thats me i've had enough now".

My solution - sing with your eyes shut, get lost in your own worship to God and then you dont see people sit down or some of the miserable faces staring back at you. That might sound harsh, but there are people in my church who definitely need to change their attitudes.

But to categorically dismiss anyone sitting down who might look "able bodied" to you as having a bad attitude...is that any worse than their sitting down for whatever reason?

Case in point. I was interim pastor for a while of a little church largely made up of elderly folks. Now this wasn't a Pentecostal church, so I didn't expect 'em to stand for more than a few seconds at a time.

Anyway, there was one older lady who sat and frowned and shook her head all through the sermon. Every week. I asked my aunt who went there, "Does Sister C have a problem with me?" and described what I saw.
She said, "No, Sister C. likes you a lot. That's just how she looks."

So now I'm older and simply lack the stamina to stand for twenty or thirty minutes at a time. This says nothing at all about my attitude or spiritual condition...other than wishing I wasn't so out of shape...:sigh: :sigh:

Upvote 0

cruztacean

Oct 7, 2005
✟8,818.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My knee-jerk reaction was, "I've never seen it happen." :confused:

But then I realized that I have always sat up front because of nearsightedness and a slight hearing problem. So I wouldn't see what's going on behind me. I have little to offer besides the suggestions of always sitting up front, which you already said you usually do.

Except: If you are confident enough, maybe you'd like to find out why these people tend to drop out of worship. Or you might state your concern to the pastor. It would then be on him to find the best way to address the problem.

In any case, try not to let these people, whether they are bored, unmoved, or whatever, distract you from worshipping God as you deem Him worthy. Easier said than done. God bless.

Upvote 0

pharmacy_student

Feb 25, 2006
Queensland Australia
✟7,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
In our AOG church only a few sit down during the musical worship time. I totally agree that other people feel more comfortable that way, but most of the time i have noticed (in my 'heathen' days you might say)i used to sit down or distract myself simply so God couldn't hit me they way i knew he wanted to) so God can't challange them or speak to them.

At our leadership sessions our church sometimes puts on totally left field worship music and encourages us that it is all about ATTITUDE, not the music and whether or not the music sounds good. Some Sunday mornings the music is damn terrible! but I still praise the Lord because I know it is my heart that praises him, the music is just a vessel that can I can use to help articulate that praise.

Grace and Peace
Jason

Upvote 0

AKidoftheKing

Dec 6, 2005
✟15,461.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
pharmacy_student said:
At our leadership sessions our church sometimes puts on totally left field worship music and encourages us that it is all about ATTITUDE, not the music and whether or not the music sounds good.
Grace and Peace
Jason
This reminded me---Matt Redman, the author of "Heart of Worship" told a story of how this song came about. The Pastor of his church decided for a certain number of days---30 or 60, I think, they were going to use worship service with NO music at all. The people needed to learn to worship without it, and they really got down to business.

I'm sure that many learned that worship isn't all about YOU being entertained, or whether the music is good or not. It's not about US---it's about our GOD. And if we don't feel like worshipping (with or without music) it's about the sacrifice of praise to Him.

READ CAREFULLY----

When the music fades
And all is stripped away and I simply come
Longing just to bring something that's of worth
That will bless YOUR heart
I'll bring you more than a song for a song in itself
Is not what you have required. You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear. you're looking into my heart
I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about you, all about you, Jesus
I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing i've made it
When it's all about you, all about you, Jesus
King of endless worth, no one could express
how much you deserve. Though I'm weak and poor
All i have is yours, every single breath
1999 Kingsway's Thankyou Music
CCLI#1596342
Album: I Could Sing of Your Love Forever

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Elle_For_Short

Feb 6, 2006
California
✟738.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
well, I used to go to a church (were I grew up) and it was a Pentecostal (independent) church. We danced, singed, jumped around. It was cool. Now I go to AoG church and they sing and....sing. its cool you know. I'm just used to seeing people jump around all over the place. Teehee. BUT. Yeah, if everyone did start jumping around I probably wouldn't. I'm new to that church and I don't want people to look at me strangely...yet.:D

Upvote 0

cruztacean

Oct 7, 2005
✟8,818.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Elle_For_Short said:
well, I used to go to a church (were I grew up) and it was a Pentecostal (independent) church. We danced, singed, jumped around. It was cool. Now I go to AoG church and they sing and....sing.
I like the way you worded that. Really makes me see it.
I'm new to that church and I don't want people to look at me strangely...yet.
I relate. Rather than people sitting down during a spirit-filled worship, I used to be more annoyed by the one or two in an otherwise quiet room who would :amen: all the way through service. I thought it was disruptive...but that was my fault, so to speak, for not being what you might call "hit" by the Spirit. When first baptized in the Holy Spirit, I found myself kind of looking around the room to see if anyone else had their hands in the air before I put mine up. An older brother in Christ helped me with that one by saying, "I used to do that, but now, when the Spirit says put 'em up, I put 'em up."

It might be difficult in a more restrained service, yes, but when I go to church I want to :amen: and :clap: and :cry: and maybe even :sleep: (slain in the Spirit.)

Upvote 0

cruztacean

Oct 7, 2005
✟8,818.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
EmeraldLily said:
....they were also trying to get more people to clap(which I don't do- hands can't handle it-Yes I know I'm bad bad bad).

Giggle. I once got a bruise on my thumb from clapping too hard. I'm a little more careful now, but I wouldn't want someone to think I'm not "worshipping" as much simply because I'm not "clapping" as much.

Upvote 0

GoDsGiRl930

Feb 24, 2006
US
✟305.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
EmeraldLily said:
It is like a wave in our church- one family sits down and then next thing you know half of the church is sitting down. I try to sit towards the front so it doesn't bother me but today I sat in the back...
I'd really like to hear from other AoG's....
Well, we dont really have that problem in my church. With the exception of some elderly fokes, no one hardly ever sits down, and I am in praise and worship at my church so I can see pretty much everybody.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.