Do PCUSA believe "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God."?

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
So that means the PCA believes in inerrant
While
ECO believes in infallible.

So the PCA don't change anything in the bible while the ECO can change what the bible really meant. So that would mean the PCusa is doing the same thing as ECO.

Right?
i believe so. The PCUSA doctrine of Scripture is described briefly in the Confession of 1967, which is also accepted by the ECO. Though I think we disagree on what the Bible really means.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i believe so. The PCUSA doctrine of Scripture is described briefly in the Confession of 1967, which is also accepted by the ECO. Though I think we disagree on what the Bible really means.

If I tell them they don't believe in the bible, they would say they do and it's listed in the book of orders. I think, by reading over the last ten years, the liberals fail to pass my test. It won't be long before the liberals will have to remove some confessions in thier book of orders. I strongly believe I'm seeing this far in advance. My concern is will the PCA fall in the same direction.
I found this:

2 Timothy 3:16-17 - "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work."

If the Bible itself says that ALL scripture is God breathed, how can one believe this is not true (by saying it is not inerrant) and yet still hold it to be doctrine?

I guess I'm just curious as to the logic behind teaching from the bible which explicitly says something is wrong, but then supporting it? The Bible doesn't really seem to me like something you get to pick and choose what of it you want to believe.

Found at http://christianity.stackexchange.c...stion-about-the-pcusa-treatment-of-scriptures

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The PCA is fully committed to traditional Reformed Christianity. The ECO is not. I think they'll end up remerging with the PCUSA when people calm down about gays. You can never guarantee that something won't change, but the PCA is doing what they can to make sure that they don't.

"God-breathed" is misleading. It's peculiar to the NIV. The term can reflect differing theories of what inspiration means. The passage as a whole is actually fairly weak. It says simply that the Bible is useful for specific purposes.

Careful PCUSA folk would probably say that they don't believe in the Bible, they believe in God. They consider the Bible to be an authoritative witness to God, but still a human witness.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The PCA is fully committed to traditional Reformed Christianity. The ECO is not. I think they'll end up remerging with the PCUSA when people calm down about gays. You can never guarantee that something won't change, but the PCA is doing what they can to make sure that they don't.

"God-breathed" is misleading. It's peculiar to the NIV. The term can reflect differing theories of what inspiration means. The passage as a whole is actually fairly weak. It says simply that the Bible is useful for specific purposes.

Careful PCUSA folk would probably say that they don't believe in the Bible, they believe in God. They consider the Bible to be an authoritative witness to God, but still a human witness.

Guess you're a careful PCusa folk. I saw an illustration of some math on a chalk board. I hope one day I can illustrate how God wrote through men. Imagine a big chalkboard that Albert Einstein wrote. All those unfamiliar symbols of math terms. While knowing the letters of Hebrew and Greek were also used as numbers. Let's say the results of all those math equations are at the end on the chalkboard, the answer. Let's say the bible is the end result. I'd like to group or draw boxes around different equations to symbolize that each writer wrote the equation. Let's say each box represent each writer. Example: book of john wrote, "a^2 + b^2 = c^2" and Mark wrote, ". V – E + F = 2" and so forth. Let's say mark didn't see what john wrote and john didn't see what mark wrote and the rest of the writers wrote Greek and Hebrew , some not knowing each other or lived a hundred years apart or by great distance. I hope to illustrate that God used the right words through each writer and each word contained hidden numbers that sum up the the complete bible. The final sum or answer is at the end of the chalkboard. Same with the bible , the book is the sum of all the words the writers used. This is proof the God is the author of the bible. This is proof that the bible is directly from God. In other words no man can write like that on its own.
The PCA believes God is the author without knowing hidden formula deep in the bible. They believed it by unseen faith. Even though we show the proofs to the atheists and refute them through the science of math, that have to deny it due to not being regenerated.
I would think you refused to believe the books are not straight from God. How do we compare you with those that saw the proofs and still deny the proofs. In short, it's like seeing 2+2=4 but deny it at the same time. Perhaps you haven't seen the proofs yet or maybe if it was proven to you, you might still deny it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can anyone confirm if the PCusa states that parts of the Bible, such as the OT and books written by Paul, are not true because they didn't come from Jesus? I got this source from the post below.

Presbyterian Church in the United States of America. They are the largest Presbyterian denomination and pride themselves in being progressive. They are very welcoming to all sinners of various backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual preference. They also are a bit more liberal in their views, often stating that parts of the Bible, such as the OT and books written by Paul, are not true because they didn't come from Jesus. They allow women and gays to lead the church.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
No, we don't reject the books written by Paul. However we do use them differently. Mainline Presbyterians look at Paul’s letters as letters addressed to specific churches, and think that at times what he said was tailored to the situations of those churches or to first century Christians in general.

Everyone has to adapt the New Testament to some extent. Paul accepted slavery. We don’t. Both conservatives and mainline agree on this. But on some topics, primarily involving sex and gender roles, we disagree on whether Paul’s comments were tailored to the needs of 1st Cent Christians or reflect permanent, God-given rules.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, we don't reject the books written by Paul. However we do use them differently. Mainline Presbyterians look at Paul’s letters as letters addressed to specific churches, and think that at times what he said was tailored to the situations of those churches or to first century Christians in general.

Everyone has to adapt the New Testament to some extent. Paul accepted slavery. We don’t. Both conservatives and mainline agree on this. But on some topics, primarily involving sex and gender roles, we disagree on whether Paul’s comments were tailored to the needs of 1st Cent Christians or reflect permanent, God-given rules.

I'm sure many don't aggree with lot of things. If the PCA accepts inerrancy and at the same time don't believe in slavery, how does that work? What does the book of Paul being inspired by God mean to you or anyone else? Theomatics gives me an entirely different picture. It tells me that God was there during the writings of the bible. God is there during worship in every denominations. People say bible can't be from God cause it contradicts each other. People say the denominations can't each be the true church cause they contradict each other. If God was there with the writers and God was there in the churches while we say God wasn't there then we're missing what God really is or what he is doing. To me God isn't an object, to others God is an object. Others place God in a box. I can't place God in the box cause I know God is the box as well. Eastern religion has taught me much cause God was there as well. Many here would say the earterns don't know anything and God wasn't even on that side of the planet at all. So I see God very differently than most so I bring up unusual points and hard questions. To me, what Paul said was to teach us the Gospel. I see that God wanted us to know what was said so God can deal with us today cause He is here, now. I'm not sure what inerrancy means but to me the bible is pure in a way to show us we ain't worth a cent.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I read the PCA believe differently in thier statements reguarding to "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God." Did the PCUSA say they believe only parts of the bible or did I misuderstand that?

Most people in the PCUSA do believe in some sort of Devine inspiration of the Bible, but the real question is do they treat it as authoritative.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I know you have some decent knowledge on beliefs and creeds and whatnot, but could you please not predict the future of the PCA? Stop predicting we'll all "come around" to the gay movement. No one knows what God has in store for humanity, nor would He allow the faithful to fall so far of Christ. Cultural influences are secondary to Scripture. We should not look at God's Word via life, we should look at life via Scripture.

And, as it's been said on this thread, the pCA split with the PCUSA over a different issue. Of the Pca and PCUSA merged due to gay influence in both denominations, then logically the ELCA, the Episcopal church and a long-overdue liberal Catholic denomination full of, well, liberal Catholics, would all merge due to having very similar beliefs on gays, women, Scriptural authority, Biblical events, social justice, voting patterns, etc. but nobody is predicting that, even though if you look at things from a worldly, business-like perspective it would probably help many denominations if they merged because it would mean more members.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Huh? I said that PCA was taking precautions to avoid changes that would lead to accepting gays. It's the ECO that I think will likely do so.
Oh, my apologies.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If they do, apparently they believe in a God who contradicts himself and can't communicate clearly.
They bend the scriptures to fit today's science, social environment. They used to fit the Gospel not to allow gay marriage and now they redesigned thier theologies to fit the good news to gay marriage. Lgbabc have lots of money and pcusa will do anything like change the word for thier support. I think eco is the proper way but I'm leaning more towards neither Calvinism nor Arminianism cause both are right as well as wrong.

Upvote 0