Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,695.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I were watching a talk given by Ravi Zacharias and Dennis Prager and Mr Prager made a very profound comment on what Jews consider to be the worst sin, which he said is

"to do evil in the name of God."​

He then went on to explain that number three of the ten commandments is very poorly translated into English, and that the word translated as "take" should actually be "carry", which has a profoundly different meaning. We had a look at the Septuagint translation and the root word λαμβάνω definitely has a sense of "holding in your hands"

With that understanding, Exodus 20:7 also ties in with Luke 12:10

You shall not carry the name of the Lord your God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who carries his name in vain.

And every one who speaks a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.​

Just wanted to share :)

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My wife and I were watching a talk given by Ravi Zacharias and Dennis Prager and Mr Prager made a very profound comment on what Jews consider to be the worst sin, which he said is

He then went on to explain that number three of the ten commandments is very poorly translated into English, and that the word translated as "take" should actually be "carry", which has a profoundly different meaning. We had a look at the Septuagint translation and the root word λαμβάνω definitely has a sense of "holding in your hands"

You shall not carry the name of the Lord your God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who carries his name in vain.

And every one who speaks a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.​

I'm certain that whomever thatis means the absolute best for whoever might hear him.

The prohibition against taking the Lord's name in vain is judicial, much the same as bearing false witness. It means do not swear by the name of God that your neighbor did something he didn't do.

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

I'm not sure what this means. If someone says something bad about Jesus they are forgiven but not the Holy Spirit.

Does this mean claiming someone to be the Holy Spirit? Or saying the Holy Spirit is not a part of the Trinity?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,695.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what this means. If someone says something bad about Jesus they are forgiven but not the Holy Spirit.

Does this mean claiming someone to be the Holy Spirit? Or saying the Holy Spirit is not a part of the Trinity?
I think it is more along the lines of doing evil and claiming it was God's will.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,695.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm certain that whomever thatis means the absolute best for whoever might hear him.
Dennis Prager is a Jew, and he knows his Hebrew very well.
The prohibition against taking the Lord's name in vain is judicial, much the same as bearing false witness. It means do not swear by the name of God that your neighbor did something he didn't do.
Do you have a source for this? It is not something I've heard before.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

When couple get married the wife traditionally takes her husband's last name. If she were to be unfaithful to him, then she would be taking his name in vain. There are many verses that describe the Mosaic Covenant as being a marriage between God and Israel, where God even put His name on His people in Numbers 6:27. We are God's representatives, so we need to bring honor to His name and avoid doing things that would cause God's reputation to decrease in the eyes of others.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

it's to look at good, know that it's good, but choose evil anyway (i.e. Satan).

• Informative
Reactions: Ioannes
Upvote 0

Ioannes

Orthodox Catechumen, ROCOR.
Sep 14, 2018
Bologna, Italy
✟10,910.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
it's to look at good, know that it's good, but choose evil anyway (i.e. Satan).

I read on some websites, months ago, that the unpardonable sin cannot be replicated today, as what Jesus meant was those who denied the Holy Spirit's and God's presence in the healings Jesus performed (after witnessing them) were so evil they had the courage to reject God after directly witnessing Jesus' God-given "powers".
Then that interpretation is incorrect? I can't remember seeing the Church mention any unpardonable sin in our days.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I read on some websites, months ago, that the unpardonable sin cannot be replicated today, as what Jesus meant was those who denied the Holy Spirit's and God's presence in the healings Jesus performed (after witnessing them) were so evil they had the courage to reject God after directly witnessing Jesus' God-given "powers".
Then that interpretation is incorrect? I can't remember seeing the Church mention any unpardonable sin in our days.

one can still blaspheme today, because now God is truly at work in His people. the works are greater now because of Pentecost.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ioannes

Orthodox Catechumen, ROCOR.
Sep 14, 2018
Bologna, Italy
✟10,910.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
one can still blaspheme today, because now God is truly at work in His people. the works are greater now because of Pentecost.

Thank you for the explanation, but does that make such blaspheming unpardonable in the sense there's no chance to redeem oneself and be in communion with the Church?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the explanation, but does that make such blaspheming unpardonable in the sense there's no chance to redeem oneself and be in communion with the Church?

there is no chance at redemption because the person is so hardened against God, that they want nothing to do with Him or His saints. it's irredeemable not because forgiveness isn't offered, but because it's never accepted.

Upvote 0