Do not resist an evil person,what is your under standing ?

Mr Pickles

Feb 2, 2012
✟449.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Jesus teaches us in Mathew chapter 5 vrs 38/39 not an eye for an eye, but do not resist an evil person , if some one was coming to stab you, rape your wife, kill your family, some one you love, ? would you resist this person. ? we see Israel, six day war, using every

thing in their arsenal to defend them selves, drive back their attackers, battles in the bible, ones still to come, i think its written, where Jesus told his disciples to buy a sword, we see Peter was carrying a sword, Mathew 26 vrs 51 , not

resisting an evil person ? i here of Christians setting up in remote places, going under ground, arming them selves. any thoughts on this. ?

Last edited:

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus teaches us in Mathew chapter 5 vrs 38/39 not an eye for an eye, but do not resist an evil person , if some one was coming to stab you, rape your wife, kill your family, some one you love, ? would you resist this person. ? we see Israel, six day war, using every

thing in their arsenal to defend them selves, drive back their attackers, battles in the bible, ones still to come, i think its written, where Jesus told his disciples to buy a sword, we see Peter was carrying a sword, Mathew 26 vrs 51 , not

resisting an evil person ? i here of Christians setting up in remote places, going under ground, arming them selves. any thoughts on this. ?
I think you misunderstand the passage.

To turn the other cheek is to stand up in defiance of the accusations against you. You don't back down to avoid condemnation when you are in the right.

To be struck on the cheek was to be accused of error. You turn the other cheek in defiance of the accusation and stand your ground. You don't give in to the attack, but offer to be attacked again.

The word translated 'evil' is 'hardships'. Don't resist 'hardships' for standing up for what is right. Don't back down but offer the other cheek.

It isn't a show of weakness but a show of strength of character.

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
if some one was coming to stab you, rape your wife, kill your family, some one you love, ? would you resist this person. ?
My wife was gang raped many times. The one time men came to rape her and assault me, yes I did defend myself and the women with me. We had rescued 3 women from a coven's party. Those 3 women were to be drugged and raped at that party as part of their initiation. 9 men came after us to get them back and take revenge for 'stealing' their 'new meat' women.

Now I didn't try to rape them in return. I did break two of the attackers bones in that self-defense. I held them off long enough for police to arrive and arrest them. They were arrested on charges of 'breaking' (they failed to 'enter'). They also had date-rape drugs in their possession and they were charged with attempted rape. Because of the 'attempted rape' charge, they were all raped by other inmates in county lockup. They had plead guilty to the 'breaking' and drug charges but hadn't been convicted of the attempted rape charge yet.

I didn't go after them to get personal revenge but I did allow Yah to be my vengeance. I also did appeal to the authority of the law to bring about justice. Justice came in the form of imprisonment and Yah's justice was they reaped what they sowed and were raped themselves. Rapists don't have an easy time in prison. Some of the rapists involved with the coven were also crooked military police. They didn't survive prison when the other inmates found out they were cops. They were raped and beaten to death.

We are NOT to seek our own vengeance. We are to turn it over to Yah and allow Him to bring that vengeance. That isn't to imply we can't defend ourselves against physical violence.

As a result of that incident, the coven did send other men after my wife at a later time to get revenge. I lost my wife before the entire coven was convicted of their criminal activities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In 40 years as a Christian, I have never found myself in a position where I had to defend myself with physical force. I have felt spiritual forces marshalling, and I would either rebuke them or move out of the area. Happened at WalMart just a couple weeks ago. When I go home my wife also said she felt a burden for me and prayed it out.

I know a lot do not believe in the promises of God and think we are still subject to some immediate and specific "sovereign" will of God... but I have lived by the words of this promise all my adult life.
Thank HIM!

Ps 1848
He delivereth me from mine enemies: yea, thou liftest me up above those that rise up against me: thou hast delivered me from the violent man.

Upvote 0

Mr Pickles

Feb 2, 2012
✟449.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
thank you for sharing

I found this on google... Not sure if it will help...but here it is

God gave Jesus Christ words to speak that were radical and revolutionary. His instructions on how to live were completely opposite to what most think and do. Yet, these truths are the very keys to unlock a life of godliness in the midst of an evil world. These spoken truths are written in God's Word for us to understand and apply. They are still radical and revolutionary in our time.

"Resist not evil" at first glance seems to be confusing, illogical, and contradictory to God's Word. However, as we study this subject, we will see this truth to be simple, logical, and life-changing.
God is love. Jesus Christ always did the will of the Father; therefore, he loved like no other had before. In him we see God's love manifested clearly. Jesus taught his disciples how to live love's way, and we too have the joy of following this instruction. We will see "resist not evil" is living on the higher plane of love. To live love is a superior way of living, far above the evil with which most are overcome.
A consideration of "anger" and "hate" will help eluci date an aspect of evil important to understand if we are to carry out "resist not evil." Two Greek words used in the Bible communicate two aspects of anger. Orge is anger as a state of mind and is passive in its effect towards others.Thumos is used to express an outburst of anger which attacks others. Neither is desirable in the life of a Christian.

Also two Greek words are used to communicate two aspects of "hate." Ekthra is hate or hostility as an inner disposition of the mind. Miseo is hate as active ill will towards others. Miseo is the manifestation towards others of ekthra, inner hostility. Again, as Christians we do not want any hate in our lives.
In like manner to anger and hate, all evil is either passive (within oneself) or active (attacking others with the intent of corrupting them). When the lord said "resist not evil," he was speaking about evil in others that attacks (with the intent of corrupting) us. Such evil is a paradox. Its aim seems to be to push us away, but in reality it works as a giant magnet designed to pull us in.

When we are assaulted physically our natural response is to protect ourselves, often done by attacking back. God made in man that which is called the autonomic nervous system which produces involuntary responses. This means when we are confronted with danger, we respond involun tarily. The heart automatically starts beating faster, eyes dilate, perspiration begins, and we immediately make ready to protect ourselves. If an arrow were shot at your head, without thought, automatically, you would move out of the way. These involuntary responses are a part of the nervous system connected on both sides of the spinal column. They are not voluntary responses because they are not a conscious function of the mind.
The adversary understands how our bodies work and tries to use this against us to involve us in evil. When someone verbally attacks us with his hate, anger, and such like, our autonomic nervous system may very well go into operation. With the momentum moving in the direction of defending and attacking back, we are tempted to respond to evil with evil. The involuntary responses we cannot control, but the mind's resistance to evil can and should be controlled. We are not to resist evil. If we respond to evil with evil, we will be drawn in and become a part of what we resist.

Matthew 5:38 and 39:
Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but who soever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

"Smite thee on thy right cheek" is not referring to being punched or smacked hard. God never wants His people to endure physical abuse. If this happens, you have no choice but to protect yourself. Many scriptures teach we are to defend ourselves if someone is trying physically to hurt us. The above expression was understood in the oriental culture as a very great insult. In their culture, to touch the cheek of another man was a humiliating insult. The essence of what is being said here is if someone insults you, do not respond in kind. Let him do it again.

The normal course of action is if someone insults us, we insult him. If someone curses at us, we curse at him. If someone yells at us, we yell at him. When this is our response, we have been baited, hooked, and pulled into the ship, the resist evil ship. Now we are participating in evil because we resisted it.
How very clever and calculated this whirlpool of evil is. When evil attacks we already have the momentum of involuntary responses working, and we also have to contend with our pride. "Who does that guy think he is, talking to me like that?" "Nobody insults me and gets away with it." "Where I come from we don't put up with that kind of behavior." "You talking to ME?" Pride is a driving emotion that will take us for a negative ride. Proverbs says that pride comes before a fall.1

The scenario we are seeing here is how the Devil proliferates evil in the world. When people resist evil it multiplies as a cancer does, rapidly, out-of-control.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"if some one was coming to stab you, rape your wife, kill your family, some one you love, ? would you resist this person."

The simple FACT is, that in the "terrible hour" you WILL DO what you've prepared yourself to do. Which is probably NOTHING.

And WWJD, or your "theological belief", or your "Spiritual abstracts" won't mean SPIT when you're looking down a gun barrel, and your family, or YOU are being attacked.

Chances are you'll be out of your mind with fear, and have no weapons, or other offensive options available, and all you'll do is watch it go down, and hope that they don't kill you before they're done.

Peter was all "Brave" and "dedicated to Jesus" right up until he got the chance to ACT on his proclamations - but when the time came he folded like wet cardboard - just like we would given the same circumstances.

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God is love.
You can't define Yah by a single attribute. Baal-peor was the 'god of love' whereas Yah is the creator with attributes of love, jealousy, righteousness, justice, wrath, mercy, vengeance, ...

He is NOT the 'God' of a single attribute! The pagan gods were gods of an attribute. Limiting Yah to a single attribute is the error of following a false god IMO.

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"if some one was coming to stab you, rape your wife, kill your family, some one you love, ? would you resist this person."

The simple FACT is, that in the "terrible hour" you WILL DO what you've prepared yourself to do. Which is probably NOTHING.

And WWJD, or your "theological belief", or your "Spiritual abstracts" won't mean SPIT when you're looking down a gun barrel, and your family, or YOU are being attacked.

Chances are you'll be out of your mind with fear, and have no weapons, or other offensive options available, and all you'll do is watch it go down, and hope that they don't kill you before they're done.

Peter was all "Brave" and "dedicated to Jesus" right up until he got the chance to ACT on his proclamations - but when the time came he folded like wet cardboard - just like we would given the same circumstances.

Actually when I was in that situation, I only had an empty long neck beer bottle within reach and a small pocket knife when 9 men sent by a coven came to assault me and rape the women I was protecting. I broke one guys hand and shattered the beer bottle on another's knuckle breaking both the bottle and his knuckle. There was NO fear.

The funny thing was, I had broken off all curses sent by the coven just shortly before that. Before the night was over, 8 of them were in prison, the entire coven was under police investigation as the source of the local date rape drug problem. 8 of their followers were arrested (1 got away) while trying to batter down our door with date rape drugs in their possession while the police were looking for the source of that problem in the area.

BTW, I had not 'prepared' myself to do anything. I just reacted as the situation needed.

You have the right to resist the enemy but you don't have the right to resist an authority over you unless that authority is in violation of Yah's law. The biblical example is the order to bow down to the golden image. You follow the law of Yah if the law of man is in contradiction with the law of Yah. You may get cast into the fiery furnace, but Yeshua will be with you.

IMO, your statement is totally false or was in my situation.

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
thank you for sharing
I found this on google... Not sure if it will help...but here it is

God gave Jesus Christ words to speak that were radical and revolutionary. His instructions on how to live were completely opposite to what most think and do. Yet, these truths are the very keys to unlock a life of godliness in the midst of an evil world. These spoken truths are written in God's Word for us to understand and apply. They are still radical and revolutionary in our time.

"Resist not evil" at first glance seems to be confusing, illogical, and contradictory to God's Word. However, as we study this subject, we will see this truth to be simple, logical, and life-changing.
God is love. Jesus Christ always did the will of the Father; therefore, he loved like no other had before. In him we see God's love manifested clearly. Jesus taught his disciples how to live love's way, and we too have the joy of following this instruction. We will see "resist not evil" is living on the higher plane of love. To live love is a superior way of living, far above the evil with which most are overcome.
A consideration of "anger" and "hate" will help eluci date an aspect of evil important to understand if we are to carry out "resist not evil." Two Greek words used in the Bible communicate two aspects of anger. Orge is anger as a state of mind and is passive in its effect towards others.Thumos is used to express an outburst of anger which attacks others. Neither is desirable in the life of a Christian.

Also two Greek words are used to communicate two aspects of "hate." Ekthra is hate or hostility as an inner disposition of the mind. Miseo is hate as active ill will towards others. Miseo is the manifestation towards others of ekthra, inner hostility. Again, as Christians we do not want any hate in our lives.
In like manner to anger and hate, all evil is either passive (within oneself) or active (attacking others with the intent of corrupting them). When the lord said "resist not evil," he was speaking about evil in others that attacks (with the intent of corrupting) us. Such evil is a paradox. Its aim seems to be to push us away, but in reality it works as a giant magnet designed to pull us in.

When we are assaulted physically our natural response is to protect ourselves, often done by attacking back. God made in man that which is called the autonomic nervous system which produces involuntary responses. This means when we are confronted with danger, we respond involun tarily. The heart automatically starts beating faster, eyes dilate, perspiration begins, and we immediately make ready to protect ourselves. If an arrow were shot at your head, without thought, automatically, you would move out of the way. These involuntary responses are a part of the nervous system connected on both sides of the spinal column. They are not voluntary responses because they are not a conscious function of the mind.
The adversary understands how our bodies work and tries to use this against us to involve us in evil. When someone verbally attacks us with his hate, anger, and such like, our autonomic nervous system may very well go into operation. With the momentum moving in the direction of defending and attacking back, we are tempted to respond to evil with evil. The involuntary responses we cannot control, but the mind's resistance to evil can and should be controlled. We are not to resist evil. If we respond to evil with evil, we will be drawn in and become a part of what we resist.

Matthew 5:38 and 39:
Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but who soever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

"Smite thee on thy right cheek" is not referring to being punched or smacked hard. God never wants His people to endure physical abuse. If this happens, you have no choice but to protect yourself. Many scriptures teach we are to defend ourselves if someone is trying physically to hurt us. The above expression was understood in the oriental culture as a very great insult. In their culture, to touch the cheek of another man was a humiliating insult. The essence of what is being said here is if someone insults you, do not respond in kind. Let him do it again.

The normal course of action is if someone insults us, we insult him. If someone curses at us, we curse at him. If someone yells at us, we yell at him. When this is our response, we have been baited, hooked, and pulled into the ship, the resist evil ship. Now we are participating in evil because we resisted it.
How very clever and calculated this whirlpool of evil is. When evil attacks we already have the momentum of involuntary responses working, and we also have to contend with our pride. "Who does that guy think he is, talking to me like that?" "Nobody insults me and gets away with it." "Where I come from we don't put up with that kind of behavior." "You talking to ME?" Pride is a driving emotion that will take us for a negative ride. Proverbs says that pride comes before a fall.1

The scenario we are seeing here is how the Devil proliferates evil in the world. When people resist evil it multiplies as a cancer does, rapidly, out-of-control.

Did Elijah turn the other cheek when in conflict with the prophets of Baal? No, he slew them all!

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
IMO - I don't think the OT is a good example of what we're to do in the NT. The eye for an eye thing is not the Christian way. We're given several examples of this in the very text we're talking about in turning the other cheek. The commandment of no adultery, yet in the new, we have a higher standard.

• Then the OT/NT divorce standard being raised.
  • Then oaths, and now no oaths.
  • Then the eye/tooth thing and allowing someone to smite thee.
We're to love, bless, and do good without partiality. This doesn't mean to let some demonized person steal the number of days God wants to fulfill.

I remember Dave Roberson reminding me that Jesus preached in chapters, not isolated passages. Quite often the answer lies in the preceeding verses.

Before all of this we are talking about our light shining. This speaks to me of suffering persecution
and not resisting those who would persecute you for righteousness' sake. If our salt has lost its savor, we're to be trampled underfoot by the world and the enemy.

if some one was coming to stab you, rape your wife, kill your family, some one you love, ?
I can assure you, I'd be on the front line very quickly. I'd take a bullet for my wife (if called for) any day of the week. Not wrecklessly. My death or injury won't profit her, and would deeply hurt her, but I have the readiness without hesitation. Having said that, we are given mighty weapons, and we wouldn't be given Ps 91 if we didn't need protection. We have big angels, the name of Jesus, the covenant of peace etc. If we're abiding under the shadow of the almighty, we're protected.

If we're not, then it's time to repent quickly and believe. I believe we are given a certain amount of conventional wisdom to deal with situations outside of being persecuted for the kingdom. The devil would kill us all if he could get away with it. Except we repent, we shall likewise perish. If God does not provide clear direction, we often are expected to use that conventional wisdom and common sense and to do it by faith.

I think it depends on our walk and where we are with God that will reflect what our options are. I'd defend my wife, your wife, etc., but I'd sure be asking for wisdom and understanding, because a lot hangs in the balance. I think we can depend on God's guidance to discern the proper course of action. It is up to us to stay in close fellowship and to have His Word abiding in us in order to walk according to the privilege God has given us in the Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
This brings up some good points about your own preparation. I live in a pretty good neighborhood. It's about 50 years old, but a lot of good families live here and it's pretty well kept up. About 1 mile down the road is "Woodmeadow Parkway". In the 80s, it was a cool section of apartments going down a full mile. Now it is half Section 8 housing, and a lot of drug dealing going on in broad daylight (quite a contrast).

You never know in this world what you might encounter. I for one, don't like the idea of carrying a gun around in order to protect my wife. I feel perfectly safe, but again, the enemy is everywhere, and we are told "Except ye repent, you shall likewise perish". It's an admonishment because the 2 tragedies Jesus referred to weren't suffered because they were big time sinners. It's a war zone out there and we SHOULD know where we stand and what our options are.

Chances are you'll be out of your mind with fear, and have no weapons, or other offensive options available, and all you'll do is watch it
go down, and hope that they don't kill you before they're done.
That's a sad assessment and one that would probably depict someone in the world who has no options other than "natural" ones. You'll have to overcome a spirit of fear probably, who would like to take you out of faith.

We can surmise that Peter folded because as Jesus indicated that he did not watch and pray.
One of the biggest spiritual attacks in history was coming up, and Peter did not prepare to be able to stand.

This is the key here. It is reasonable to assume that if we're not in close fellowship, we'll rely more on natural strength and ability. If you're hearing God in your spirit, He'll rise up and give you direction.
He rises up when things are on the line with those who step a little outside of that too.

If we're really in fellowship, He'll alert us not to go to certain places at certain times. If we do, we're vulnerable, and some warfare might go down. If we aren't in a position to sense from God what's ahead, then we stand to suffer like the world, even though if you call on the name of the Lord, you'll be saved. You might suffer a little in the process. If you're walking with God and He didn't alert you and you had peace, I believe you can confidently use the name of Jesus (assuming you're not suffering for your own misdeeds).

Along the lines of the conventional wisdom thing I mentioned earlier, if we are at peace with God and don't receive direction, and we have the ability to defend by natural means, we should be able to do that in faith. If you don't decide where you stand on this, you might not act in faith in a crisis situation.

I think that every situation is different and if we're called by God to suffer for the kingdom persecution, then we can rejoice in this for the privilege.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Thank God that the people of God aren't militaristic in the natural sense. He told us cast all of our cares and burdens to Him. That means we don't have to clean our guns and sharpen our knives all of the time. (Nothing wrong with either one, but our help comes from above).

Ever get that sense in your spirit not to go to certain places or do certain things? Sometimes the tug is gentle. Other times it is VERY noticeable. I broke a finger once when I looked the other way when I got a big check in my spirit about playing the company football game. God once said that when we force our way into a "door" the results are always bad.

The sense of peace we can have in our spirits makes life enjoyable and is a good pointer and indicator that we're in the will of God. If we don't worship God outside of church, we lose the "abundance" of peace that can be multiplied and enjoyed. If we want protection and soundness, then we don't have to take matters into our own hands. We can keep rejoicing that God is fighting our battles for us, and will give us wisdom to overcome.

For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
Romans 5:17

For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
Matt 25:29

for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh
Matt 12:34

Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
2 Peter 3:14

And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Col 3:15-16

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7

Upvote 0

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others

First it is my opinion that hypothetical situations come from Satan when used in regards to what scripture tells us. Satan uses hypothetical situations to scare people into not obeying what Jesus told us.

We are to trust God. We trust that he will keep us safe. We trust if something bad happens to us, and Jesus allows it to happen, then his will be done.

Our job it to obey God. Jesus told us not to give an evil person any resistance. The world is there to take care of its own. A Christian is not of the world; so Christians leave the world take care of its evil people.

Jesus personally told me that we were not to hurt/harm anyone for any reason.

Upvote 0