Kentucky
✟7,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a question more than a statement. But to apply for the SBA loan for businesses or nonprofits, you have to agree to not discriminate in order to receive money. This is based on the protected classes of receiving federal grants, loans, etc. Below is the statement that a business or nonprofit has to agree to when applying for the Cares Act loan/grant. etc.
discriminate.png

My church does not allow people to become a member unless they profess faith in Christ. For example, someone can't be a buddhist, muslim, etc and be a church member. I believe the Supreme court already ruled churches are able to determine that. However, my question comes back to an ethics question as it relates to accepting money from the government.
1. Based on the government's legal definition of discrimination: To receive funds, does a church or ministry have to agree NOT to discriminate against another religion (ie not exclude other religions from membership, women as pastor's, etc.)?
2. If the above is correct, it sounds to me that if a church is not going to change that it is perjury to check the box "under penalty of perjury under the laws of the US that the above is true and correct." Yes/No?
3. Any other ethical problems?

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Does anyone know of an article or legal opinion on this question?
The Supreme Court ruled 9-0 in the Tabor case that a church can hire or fire who they want for anything related to the exercise of their actual ministry. So, while there will INEVITABLY be lawsuits by those who think this is a good attack vector against the Christian faith, the Cares Act does not open a real back door to forcing churches to violate their consciences. The Supreme Court, at least in this, has read the constitution properly and has came in on the side of common sense to boot.

However, there have been so many cases of church related ministries shut out of things like adoption and foster home services because they would not place children with homosexuals, and these adoption and foster home services have had to close. It is an active battleground in the culture war. The Tabor decision will protect a church per se, but not an associated but independent ministry. Or at least that's how I've been seeing it.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a question more than a statement. But to apply for the SBA loan for businesses or nonprofits, you have to agree to not discriminate in order to receive money. This is based on the protected classes of receiving federal grants, loans, etc. Below is the statement that a business or nonprofit has to agree to when applying for the Cares Act loan/grant. etc.
View attachment 274055
My church does not allow people to become a member unless they profess faith in Christ. For example, someone can't be a buddhist, muslim, etc and be a church member. I believe the Supreme court already ruled churches are able to determine that. However, my question comes back to an ethics question as it relates to accepting money from the government.
1. Based on the government's legal definition of discrimination: To receive funds, does a church or ministry have to agree NOT to discriminate against another religion (ie not exclude other religions from membership, women as pastor's, etc.)?
2. If the above is correct, it sounds to me that if a church is not going to change that it is perjury to check the box "under penalty of perjury under the laws of the US that the above is true and correct." Yes/No?
What is your church selling?

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
However, there have been so many cases of church related ministries shut out of things like adoption and foster home services because they would not place children with homosexuals, and these adoption and foster home services have had to close.
And if they are discriminating they should loose state contracts for adoption services and foster care.

Upvote 0

Kessa

I'd rather be a mermaid
Apr 1, 2020
Savannah, Georgia
✟9,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If your church does not plan to abide by the contract, then it should not accept the money. It would be wrong to agree to the terms of service knowing there is no chance they will be obeyed. It's not fair public tax money goes to people who will discriminate against some tax payers. However, there are some churches who deserve the loans, I think. Near me there is a megachurch that provides many services for the wider community. They host a food pantry, a baby and child supplies pantry, a professional clothes closet, and a weekly soup kitchen, and there is probably more they offer I don't know about. These services are open to everyone, you don't have to be a member or a Christian believer to go ask for help. Since they do so much for others and many people depend on them, it would make sense for them to receive the federal money. I believe the same standards should be applied to any religious organization. If they are a place that supports the public, getting public funding should be allowed especially at this desperate time.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If your church does not plan to abide by the contract, then it should not accept the money. It would be wrong to agree to the terms of service knowing there is no chance they will be obeyed.
Are you saying that a church which teaches that marriage is between one man and one woman need not apply? Or a mosque that teaches that marriage is between one man and however many women need not apply?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
View attachment 274055
Why would Care get involved in Churches if they are going to require such a contract?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Are you saying that a church which teaches that marriage is between one man and one woman need not apply? Or a mosque that teaches that marriage is between one man and however many women need not apply?
That strikes me as deliberately provocative, given that the poster makes it quite clear later in the post that he is not expressing either of those views. Either you need to read more carefully, or you need bring more integrity to your posts.

• Agree
Reactions: Quartermaine
Upvote 0

Kessa

I'd rather be a mermaid
Apr 1, 2020
Savannah, Georgia
✟9,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

No, I'm not saying that. I don't think the beliefs of church or mosque members should be the criterion used when judging how money is distributed. Rather, it should be about whether they serve the wider public without discrimination. You can hold a strong, sincere belief in something without turning your back on people in need. Believing marriage is between one man and one woman shouldn't mean you turn away hungry polygamists or LGBTQ people who need your help. If the church, mosque, or other house of worship feels they cannot do this in good conscience, then they surely wouldn't want to accept federal dollars, which after all come from polygamists and LGBTQ people too. It would be for them to decide if they wish to abide by the terms of agreement, just like any other contract. Like I said in my original post, there are churches near me which serve the wider community including those who don't share their faith. This doesn't mean they don't have beliefs that certain things are true or righteous, just that they prefer to demonstrate love and compassion instead of conflicts.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
No, I'm not saying that. I don't think the beliefs of church or mosque members should be the criterion used when judging how money is distributed. Rather, it should be about whether they serve the wider public without discrimination. You can hold a strong, sincere belief in something without turning your back on people in need. Believing marriage is between one man and one woman shouldn't mean you turn away hungry polygamists or LGBTQ people who need your help. If the church, mosque, or other house of worship feels they cannot do this in good conscience, then they surely wouldn't want to accept federal dollars, which after all come from polygamists and LGBTQ people too. It would be for them to decide if they wish to abide by the terms of agreement, just like any other contract. Like I said in my original post, there are churches near me which serve the wider community including those who don't share their faith. This doesn't mean they don't have beliefs that certain things are true or righteous, just that they prefer to demonstrate love and compassion instead of conflicts.
Most churches will help absolutely anybody. Some will insist on not abandoning their beliefs in the process.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are not selling anything. But considering to receive the Cares Act Stimulus money due to decreased offerings and being forced not to meet due to Covid-19. Ultimately, we desire to honor God and abide by the law (Romans 13:1-2).
The church isn't a small business in that sense intended for Small Business loans. Support your church, members; you do NOT want the government stepping in in any fashion.

If you aren't meant to have a building, then support your pastor. The building isn't the church. We are the Church. We aren't meeting either - and I don't think anyone is, as 96 percent of the population is on stay at home status - and we are not withholding our tithes and offerings, simply because we aren't showing up at a building. People have addresses (and lots of online ways to pay today, as well).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why would Care get involved in Churches if they are going to require such a contract?
I would reverse that question. Why on earth would a Church want to submit to this contract?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From my perspective, Churches should not accept money from the government and the government should not accept money from churches. I believe in separation of church and state. Neither should be considered subordinate to the other and neither should be indebted to the other. I would disaffiliate with any church that was so inept at doing the work of God that it would need government money to carry out its mission.

Upvote 0

Kessa

I'd rather be a mermaid
Apr 1, 2020
Savannah, Georgia
✟9,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Most churches will help absolutely anybody. Some will insist on not abandoning their beliefs in the process.

No one is asking them to abandon their beliefs. If they are not discriminating and turning people away, they should be welcome to the money if they need it.

• Agree
Reactions: Quartermaine
Upvote 0