Do Christians actually believe in God?

Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Christians believe that they live in a universe in which God exists. But the thing is, they don't act like that. And I kind of wonder why. They do pray to God, yes. And they do talk to God, on occasion, so they say. And they preach the gospel, and convert others, or approve of them being converted.

But if God was actually real, you'd expect to see other things too.

You'd expect to see Christians praying to God for actual miracles, and receiving them. But you don't. I've been asking about this in a recent thread, and have yet to receive a satisfactory answer. You see Christians addressing God in the blandest and most carefully-tailored prayers. God, please give me wisdom, or insight, or determination. God, please give me faith. God, please strengthen me in my time of trouble. God, please help my sister who is facing cancer; grant the doctors the wisdom and clarity to heal her. There is something deeply weird about this. Where is the "God, please cure my sister of cancer immediately," or "God, my tooth is hurting. Please could you make the root vanish?" Or "God, my poor, innocent baby died. Please, bring her back to life."

More than that: while Christians I've spoken to in the past have assured me that God is not a jinni, a genie, a lab rat, a magical hat or a wishing machine, you would expect to see some statistical data showing up. Lots of it, actually. Consider. People all over the world are praying to their gods. But if the Christians are right, only one of these gods is listening and responding. And that means that the effects of this should be statistically observable. To put it simply, it should be apparent that Christians are luckier than non-Christians, because they have the edge of praying to a God who listens and responds. Not all the time, of course. Sometimes God answers prayers yes, sometimes no, sometimes later. But compared to the non-Christians (who, presumably, either don't get any answers at all, or else never even pray) it should be quite easy to observe effects on a macro level. But it's not. Christians, whether on an individual basis, or as populations, are no luckier than anyone else. Which is strange, if they are right about the Christian God exist.

You'd expect to see Christians asking God things, as well as asking Him for things. Almost all Christians claim they talk to God, and many claim that He replies - actually speaks to them in an audible voice. Isn't it strange God never, ever says anything that the person didn't know already? To forestall the obvious response, I'm not talking about asking God what the millionth digit of pi is, or to help you in an exam, or trying to trick or trap God. But Christians have a line to the Infinite Intelligence. Seriously, aren't there any questions they'd like to ask Him? "God, how can I persuade my son to stop doing drugs?" "God, can you tell me what the answer to the Euthyphro Dilemma is?" "God, there's this Bible verse nobody seems to be able to understand. Can you tell us what You meant in it?"
The incuriosity is quite amazing.

Another thing. Christians believe that a heaven and a hell exists, and hope that they are going to go to heaven. But they don't act like this. They are sad when loved ones die. They cry at funerals. Why? Their loved ones have gone to heaven. They should be happy for them. Yes, they will miss them, but in terms of infinity they will see them almost at once again.

Also, they believe others are going to hell. Except...do they? Do they seriously, actually believe this? If so, they are acting in a very strange way. They don't seem to care in the slightest. We live in a world, according to Christians, where some people (a few) will soon depart to a place of unimaginable bliss, and others to a place of appalling horror...and Christians don't seem to care, or to do anything about it. They just carry on with their lives.

Maybe it's because the Christian God doesn't exist. That is the view of the majority of people on this planet, and the supermajority of people who have ever lived, that the Christians are incorrect in thinking that their God exists.
If so, that would explain why God never answers prayers with miracles, and why God never answers questions. And it would explain why Christians never ask for them. They've learned not to. They've learned that there are some kinds of prayers God just answers, and while God may speak to you about being strong or being loving, He never tells you anything you didn't already know. And perhaps they've also learned not to think too hard about this, or have learned to come up with rationalisations for it.

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christians believe that they live in a universe in which God exists. But the thing is, they don't act like that. And I kind of wonder why. They do pray to God, yes. And they do talk to God, on occasion, so they say. And they preach the gospel, and convert others, or approve of them being converted.

You'd expect to see Christians praying to God for actual miracles, and receiving them. But you don't. I've been asking about this in a recent thread, and have yet to receive a satisfactory answer. You see Christians addressing God in the blandest and most carefully-tailored prayers. God, please give me wisdom, or insight, or determination. God, please give me faith. God, please strengthen me in my time of trouble. God, please help my sister who is facing cancer; grant the doctors the wisdom and clarity to heal her. There is something deeply weird about this. Where is the "God, please cure my sister of cancer immediately," or "God, my tooth is hurting. Please could you make the root vanish?" Or "God, my poor, innocent baby died. Please, bring her back to life."

More than that: while Christians I've spoken to in the past have assured me that God is not a jinni, a genie, a lab rat, a magical hat or a wishing machine, you would expect to see some statistical data showing up. Lots of it, actually. Consider. People all over the world are praying to their gods. But if the Christians are right, only one of these gods is listening and responding. And that means that the effects of this should be statistically observable. To put it simply, it should be apparent that Christians are luckier than non-Christians, because they have the edge of praying to a God who listens and responds. Not all the time, of course. Sometimes God answers prayers yes, sometimes no, sometimes later. But compared to the non-Christians (who, presumably, either don't get any answers at all, or else never even pray) it should be quite easy to observe effects on a macro level. But it's not. Christians, whether on an individual basis, or as populations, are no luckier than anyone else. Which is strange, if they are right about the Christian God exist.

You'd expect to see Christians asking God things, as well as asking Him for things. Almost all Christians claim they talk to God, and many claim that He replies - actually speaks to them in an audible voice. Isn't it strange God never, ever says anything that the person didn't know already? To forestall the obvious response, I'm not talking about asking God what the millionth digit of pi is, or to help you in an exam, or trying to trick or trap God. But Christians have a line to the Infinite Intelligence. Seriously, aren't there any questions they'd like to ask Him? "God, how can I persuade my son to stop doing drugs?" "God, can you tell me what the answer to the Euthyphro Dilemma is?" "God, there's this Bible verse nobody seems to be able to understand. Can you tell us what You meant in it?"

Another thing. Christians believe that a heaven and a hell exists, and hope that they are going to go to heaven. But they don't act like this. They are sad when loved ones die. They cry at funerals. Why? Their loved ones have gone to heaven. They should be happy for them. Yes, they will miss them, but in terms of infinity they will see them almost at once again.

Also, they believe others are going to hell. Except...do they? Do they seriously, actually believe this? If so, they are acting in a very strange way. They don't seem to care in the slightest. We live in a world, according to Christians, where some people (a few) will soon depart to a place of unimaginable bliss, and others to a place of appalling horror...and Christians don't seem to care, or to do anything about it. They just carry on with their lives.

Maybe it's because the Christian God doesn't exist. That is the view of the majority of people on this planet, and the supermajority of people who have ever lived, that the Christians are incorrect in thinking that their God exists.
If so, that would explain why God never answers prayers with miracles, and why God never answers questions. And it would explain why Christians never ask for them. They've learned not to. They've learned that there are some kinds of prayers God just answers, and while God may speak to you about being strong or being loving, He never tells you anything you didn't already know. And perhaps they've also learned not to think too hard about this, or have learned to come up with rationalisations for it.
The simple answer is yes.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That was a simple answer!
Are you saying, yes, God doesn't exist and that's why prayers for impossible things are never answered?
No I answered your thread title.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you. Most kind!
It's the only answer you need.

Your monologue is one of the most daft and inconsiderate things I've ever read. With mostly incorrect assertions and an air of arrogance.

Do you really believe there isn't a God? Because you don't seem to act like it. Maybe you've just come up with rationalisations for it?

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's the only answer you need.

Your monologue is one of the most daft and inconsiderate things I've ever read. With mostly incorrect assertions and an air of arrogance.

Do you really believe there isn't a God? Because you don't seem to act like it. Maybe you've just come up with rationalisations for it?
Okay. You're unable and/or unwilling to answer.
In that case, do you really feel you have to drop by to tell my I'm daft, inconsiderate and arrogant?
Why not just not reply at all?
Please be reminded of two things:
1. We're on a forum where people like me are invited and expected to challenge the Christian faith.
2. There is a forum rule about being polite to one another here.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay. You're unable and/or unwilling to answer.
In that case, do you really feel you have to drop by to tell my I'm daft, inconsiderate and arrogant?
Why not just not reply at all?
Please be reminded of two things:
1. We're on a forum where people like me are invited and expected to challenge the Christian faith.
2. There is a forum rule about being polite to one another here.
I did answer. Is this a running joke with you? I replied because your post was a question I could easily answer.

Yes I do want to tell you that because I'm trying to help you. I admit I didn't follow the politeness rule. But will you admit you didn't either? Sarcasm isn't polite.

• Useful
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I did answer. Is this a running joke with you? I replied because your post was a question I could easily answer.

Yes I do want to tell you that because I'm trying to help you. I admit I didn't follow the politeness rule. But will you admit you didn't either? Sarcasm isn't polite.
Perhaps I didn't, at least not as much as I should have done.
In that case, you have my apology.

But no, this isn't a joke to me. Did you actually read the post? Or did you just read the title and pop by to explain to me that Christians do actually believe in God?

I'd better clarify. The title was a rhetorical question. It wasn't the point. In full, it might have read: "Do Christians actually believe in God? Because if so, their actions are inconsistent with their beliefs, and I'd like to know why."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps I didn't, at least not as much as I should have done.
In that case, you have my apology.

But no, this isn't a joke to me. Did you actually read the post? Or did you just read the title and pop by to explain to me that Christians do actually believe in God?

I'd better clarify. The title was a rhetorical question. It wasn't the point. In full, it might have read: "Do Christians actually believe in God? Because if so, their actions are inconsistent with their beliefs, and I'd like to know why."

Tell you what. To help avoid any further confusion, I shall change the title.
In seriousness I appreciate the apology. I'm sorry too. Yeah I did read it I wouldn't call something those names if I didn't.

The thing is you just think their actions are inconsistent. I disagree Christians actions are inconsistent. If you think most people don't sincerely believe... There isn't even a starting point imo. You not only don't believe in God you actually don't believe most people do either.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In seriousness I appreciate the apology. I'm sorry too. Yeah I did read it I wouldn't call something those names if I didn't.

The thing is you just think their actions are inconsistent. I disagree Christians actions are inconsistent. If you think most people don't sincerely believe... There isn't even a starting point imo. You not only don't believe in God you actually don't believe most people do either.
Friends again, then.
We might call a break for a bit. But later, I would still be interested in hearing what Christians think about this. Because as far as I can see, there is an inconsistency between their beliefs and their actions, and I wonder if they have an explanation for it.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes i believe there is a God, not only do i believe in Him i know Him. The God of this universe is the most loving and caring God one could be. So loving that He send His Son so everyone can be saved.

You know what? i serve a God of miracles. Many times He has answered my prayers. Why God answers some prayer and some not, has to do with the truth. God is the truth of everything also if we will live or die is written in His truth.

Try being god for a bit and you would talk with much more respect about the God of this universe. To love even those who reject you is a feat not many people can muster. To bring good to those who deny you you Your existence is an other of those unexpected sides of our ever loving God.

Sure many blame Him for the suffering of each little child and every poor person starving on this planet, but what have they done to feed the starving? Last year God grew us enough food to feed the whole world, but it are corrupt people who keep more for themselves than they need, and western stores that dump food by the container loads, that have millions starve each year.

No my friend i marvel at our Lord's ability to love and endeavour each day to match Him if only a little.

Caring for those who are hurting is sure a liberating experience, try it.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You know what? i serve a God of miracles. Many times He has answered my prayers.
Interesting.
Can I ask, did you ever pray for something that most people would call impossible?
Or at least, something that could never have happened without God's intervention?
And did God answer your prayer with a miracle?

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

Some of the more overt instances with my God.

I've seen God working in my life for many years. One of my earliest such memories was when I was around 6 or 7, the late 70's. Mom and I were living on our own, but she had been dating a guy who would later become my stepfather. She was in the bathroom taking a bath and I was entertaining myself with my toys. Suddenly, she flew out of the bathroom, threw on clothes and ran out the door, leaving me there alone, a bit surprised, and more than a little confused. Found out later that she had a vision that the boyfriend was in trouble and that she needed to get him right away. In short, he was a city over running from people trying to kill him. My mother had no clue he was there at the time and showed up in the alley where he was hiding, saving his life. He later also became a believer.

When I was around 12 or 13, I had a serious issue with scoliosis. I had even seen the doctor a few times because they planned to put some rod down my back to correct it. Out of the blue, my pastor had a visiting 'faith healer' come in and talk and asked if anyone wanted prayer. I asked for prayer for both my back and an issue with my eyes. The scoliosis healed immediately. my spine cracked and straightened immediately, in front of well over a hundred people, but the eye issue remained. Had no clue why, but later that same issue stopped me from signing up for the job in the Army, diverting me to another job, where I met my wife of now over 20 years.

More recently, in 2019, I found myself having to pay around $3,700 in taxes. I had the money, but it was really going to hurt. In the same timeframe, I received a letter from the state of Iowa, letting me know I had unclaimed money. I went to their website and found it was a hefty sum (for me). I then checked to see if my wife had any money unclaimed as well. She did. Between the two of us, the total we received was within a few dollars of my tax bill.

My oldest son, an atheist like you, moved out of our house almost 10 years ago, when he was around 16, an angry teen and new father. He swore for years that he wouldn't have anything to do with us or God at any point, ever. He's spent years drinking himself into oblivion and rage quitting anger management sessions. Lately, I've been praying that God do somethign in his life, there were specifics but I'm not going into that at the moment. Around 12 days ago, he reached out for us for help, completely out of the blue. I drive back to Iowa from Texas last weekend and picked him up. As we speak, he's sitting in a faith-based rehab center.

Those were some of the more overt instances, but in my life the Lord has provided for me in many ways. Numerous times in my life, I'd suddenly come into a few extra hundred or thousand dollars, only to be followed up shortly with some unexpected expense of a similar amount. Other times, an expense would come up where I saw no way in the budget to pay, but I'd make it through somehow and end up on the other side wondering how that happened. And this has become such a common occurance, that now when I get 'extra' money, I hang onto it and wonder what expense is heading my way.

So yea, I do believe in God and I do talk to Him and He does answer prayers. This is a relationship we have and He is in charge. He's not a genie, He's a Father. Sometimes He tells us no or provides for us in ways we don't expect. He does allow trials and troubles in our lives and has never promised us wealth or health in this life.

• Winner
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting.
Can I ask, did you ever pray for something that most people would call impossible?
Or at least, something that could never have happened without God's intervention?
And did God answer your prayer with a miracle?

Yes on more than one occasion we run out of money and He had some anonymous person pay us the monies we needed to pay the bills, always just enough. We also had two times a person with cancer who was restored from their death beds when the Church community prayed for them. We also used to have a dog who got bitten by a tiger snake early Spring. Because the dog was already paralysed the vet told us their was no hope he would survive unless we paid 700 dollars for anti-venom without guarantee it would be in time. We couldn't pay him 700 dollars for we didn't have it. So we prayed to God instead and our dog, who was basically dead when we prayed for his healing got up a hour after our prayer and restored to complete health. The next day we found the tiger snake he was in the kids favourite spot in the bushes bitten in three. The snake was almost 2 metres long and would have been highly venomous seeing it was early Spring and the snake would have just come out of hibernation.

Tiger-Snake.jpg

Without a doubt God can do miracles and without a doubt He listens to our prayers.

He saved me from a life of incredible misery. Because He is the truth i love Him for it were lies that brought me my misery but His truth that saved me from that.

All Glory to His name.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes on more than one occasion we run out of money and He had some anonymous person pay us the monies we needed to pay the bills, always just enough. We also had two times a person with cancer who was restored from their death beds when the Church community prayed for them. We also used to have a dog who got bitten by a tiger snake early Spring. Because the dog was already paralysed the vet told us their was no hope he would survive unless we paid 700 dollars for anti-venom without guarantee it would be in time. We couldn't pay him 700 dollars for we didn't have it. So we prayed to God instead and our dog, who was basically dead when we prayed for his healing got up a hour after our prayer and restored to complete health. The next day we found the tiger snake he was in the kids favourite spot in the bushes bitten in three. The snake was almost 2 metres long and would have been highly venomous seeing it was early Spring and the snake would have just come out of hibernation.

View attachment 285319

Without a doubt God can do miracles and without a doubt He listens to our prayers.

He saved me from a life of incredible misery. Because He is the truth i love Him for it were lies that brought me my misery but His truth that saved me from that.

All Glory to His name.
How did you determine that God and specifically the Christian God was the cause of these "miracles"?

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Some of the more overt instances with my God.

I've seen God working in my life for many years. One of my earliest such memories was when I was around 6 or 7, the late 70's. Mom and I were living on our own, but she had been dating a guy who would later become my stepfather. She was in the bathroom taking a bath and I was entertaining myself with my toys. Suddenly, she flew out of the bathroom, threw on clothes and ran out the door, leaving me there alone, a bit surprised, and more than a little confused. Found out later that she had a vision that the boyfriend was in trouble and that she needed to get him right away. In short, he was a city over running from people trying to kill him. My mother had no clue he was there at the time and showed up in the alley where he was hiding, saving his life. He later also became a believer.

When I was around 12 or 13, I had a serious issue with scoliosis. I had even seen the doctor a few times because they planned to put some rod down my back to correct it. Out of the blue, my pastor had a visiting 'faith healer' come in and talk and asked if anyone wanted prayer. I asked for prayer for both my back and an issue with my eyes. The scoliosis healed immediately. my spine cracked and straightened immediately, in front of well over a hundred people, but the eye issue remained. Had no clue why, but later that same issue stopped me from signing up for the job in the Army, diverting me to another job, where I met my wife of now over 20 years.

More recently, in 2019, I found myself having to pay around $3,700 in taxes. I had the money, but it was really going to hurt. In the same timeframe, I received a letter from the state of Iowa, letting me know I had unclaimed money. I went to their website and found it was a hefty sum (for me). I then checked to see if my wife had any money unclaimed as well. She did. Between the two of us, the total we received was within a few dollars of my tax bill.

My oldest son, an atheist like you, moved out of our house almost 10 years ago, when he was around 16, an angry teen and new father. He swore for years that he wouldn't have anything to do with us or God at any point, ever. He's spent years drinking himself into oblivion and rage quitting anger management sessions. Lately, I've been praying that God do somethign in his life, there were specifics but I'm not going into that at the moment. Around 12 days ago, he reached out for us for help, completely out of the blue. I drive back to Iowa from Texas last weekend and picked him up. As we speak, he's sitting in a faith-based rehab center.

Those were some of the more overt instances, but in my life the Lord has provided for me in many ways. Numerous times in my life, I'd suddenly come into a few extra hundred or thousand dollars, only to be followed up shortly with some unexpected expense of a similar amount. Other times, an expense would come up where I saw no way in the budget to pay, but I'd make it through somehow and end up on the other side wondering how that happened. And this has become such a common occurance, that now when I get 'extra' money, I hang onto it and wonder what expense is heading my way.

So yea, I do believe in God and I do talk to Him and He does answer prayers. This is a relationship we have and He is in charge. He's not a genie, He's a Father. Sometimes He tells us no or provides for us in ways we don't expect. He does allow trials and troubles in our lives and has never promised us wealth or health in this life.
How did you determine these events were orchestrated by a God and specifically the Christian God?

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
How did you determine these events were orchestrated by a God and specifically the Christian God?

There is no other God. He is the one who proves Himself through the complexity of His creation and the fulfillment of His promises and prophecies. Even today, we are heading into a highly prophetic time, the ending of this age. Those familiar with His word can see what's heading our way.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I ask God what I can do for him. We are to serve.

When people pray and are in need they wait and doubt. True faith is hard to achieve. We are to ask and move on as if it already happened without doubt.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0