Do Catholics make Christianity too difficult?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A common complaint against Catholicism is that its view of the spiritual life is too difficult, that it over complicates Christianity and doesn't trust enough in the finished work of Christ on the Cross. That's an appealing complaint, since it proposes a lighter, easier Christianity. But it is a view we should be extremely suspicious of, given everything else we know about reality. So here are six observations that I think have some bearing on how we think of salvation specifically and the spiritual life more generally:

Continued below.
Do Catholics Make Christianity Too Difficult? – Shameless Popery

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would turn that on its head.

Too many make Christianity oversimplistic and sound too easy giving false sense of security. Easy believism. OSAS.
False doctrines Born of a fast food/ get rich quick generation that expects everything to be laid on a plate for them.

Yet our Lord asks us to do many things, not just " believe" or just "ask Jesus into our lives - " which is the nonbiblical quasi sacrament relied on by so called bible christians - who then have the presumption to say they are saved unconditionally!

But we are told it is a narrow road and many will lose the way....we are told in no uncertain terms, that you cannot just " believe" you must do works of charity as we see in Sheep and goats, and many other things too.

So I would say Catholics attempt to do all they are asked, where others just cherry pick things they like, which is oversimplistic.

A common complaint against Catholicism is that its view of the spiritual life is too difficult, that it over complicates Christianity and doesn't trust enough in the finished work of Christ on the Cross. That's an appealing complaint, since it proposes a lighter, easier Christianity. But it is a view we should be extremely suspicious of, given everything else we know about reality. So here are six observations that I think have some bearing on how we think of salvation specifically and the spiritual life more generally:

Continued below.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Continued below.

I like the direction of this article, but near the beginning it lists its 6 points, and #6 unfortunately contradicts Christ's own wording about how many take the narrow road. He said "few", and we cannot trump or change that, though we could think "few" could mean percentage wise out of all of humanity, still leaving it possible a great many Christians will make it. Just the same, it's better not to use a wording that even seems to contradict Him, or risks doing so.

That said, I think the article is valuable, and if written a bit shorter could be helpful for more people.

#5 is a great point we need more ways to communicate to more people, and fairly well written. By itself, it would be a good article, even longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0