The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was looking into planting a fig tree and I ran across this video which has informed me of something I never heard of, "fig wasps". These fig wsps they lay their eggs inside of a fig (so the larva of the wasp grows inside the fruit itself). Then male wasp crawls into the end of the fig and fertilizes the larva and at some point the larva make their way out and fly out (hopefully before you eat one). But the male wasp (and the female wasp) sometimes die inside the fruit and get absorbed by the fig. I just never heard of such a thing.

That just grosses me out ^_^

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a couple in my front yard, and my son also grows figs.
Yes, there are fig hornets. We have never seen any such thing in or around our figs.
And it is my understanding that the fig does absorb the material.
Gross. But this kind of thing is not unusual in nature. We just blank our minds and enjoy the sweet juicy fruit. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a couple in my front yard, and my son also grows figs.
Yes, there are fig hornets. We have never seen any such thing in or around our figs.
And it is my understanding that the fig does absorb the material.
Gross. But this kind of thing is not unusual in nature. We just blank our minds and enjoy the sweet juicy fruit. :)
Hey SavedByGrace3, you know, I wish I could blank out my mind like you but I will never be able to eat a fig again after knowing this lol. Put a real damper on wanting to grow these. I cant believe I am as old as I am and have never be informed of this, where have I been?

I think I would have been better off not knowing about this, so I can enjoy that state of ignorant bliss. Theres no going back now ^_^

Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟63,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't grow figs, but I'd love to be able. It's just too hot and dry where I live. But we had fig trees in southeast Texas when I was a child and I grew up loving them. Fig jam is the best! And what's a fig newton without the fig bits? I'd say go for it. Plant a fig tree and enjoy any fruit it makes.

Don't over-think food. Much of what we eat, especially processed foods, contain bug parts. Have a gander at this article --

Bugs, rodent hair and poop...

I wouldn't worry about the fig wasps.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't grow figs, but I'd love to be able. It's just too hot and dry where I live. But we had fig trees in southeast Texas when I was a child and I grew up loving them. Fig jam is the best! And what's a fig newton without the fig bits? I'd say go for it. Plant a fig tree and enjoy any fruit it makes.

Don't over-think food. Much of what we eat, especially processed foods, contain bug parts. Have a gander at this article --

Bugs, rodent hair and poop...

I wouldn't worry about the fig wasps.
I am so not clicking on that link ^_^ And if you fertilize with worm castings or cow manure or chicken poop its almost certain you will have remnants of that on your food if you do not wash it thoroughly.

And yeah, as a child my mom used to buy fig newtons, they were my favorites, and I thought about adding figs to our garden but I think I will go with thornless blackberrys and strawberries. I was going to go with strawberries but we grow potatoes and need to rotate them on a four year rotation and I believe I heard something about the two of them not really being so great around the other, not sure. Maybe (Lord willing ofcourse) we will do them vertically. I have a bad back and cant do this on my own but I would love to get 20 thornless blackberries planted so I will need to hire a landscaper/gardener to get those into the place I would love to grow them.

So I like figs but after knowing this I am repulsed by the thought of chowing down on one now lol

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey SavedByGrace3, you know, I wish I could blank out my mind like you but I will never be able to eat a fig again after knowing this lol. Put a real damper on wanting to grow these. I cant believe I am as old as I am and have never be informed of this, where have I been?

I think I would have been better off not knowing about this, so I can enjoy that state of ignorant bliss. Theres no going back now ^_^
I once considered putting little plastic sandwich bags over the figs.
Fig trees are really delicate. We tried to cover them with garden fabric one time and the leaves all fell off.
???

• Winner
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I once considered putting little plastic sandwich bags over the figs.
Fig trees are really delicate. We tried to cover them with garden fabric one time and the leaves all fell off.
???

You know, I saw someone doing that with some other plant and I never considered it here in this case, what a wonderful idea, love it! I make homemade soaps I have so many of those little sheer soap bags I never used, they have little pull strings on them and would be perfect for something like this, thanks for the idea, I really love that one.

I wonder how many bags I will need per tree? That will keep me busy lol

I will add,my husband made these hoop/garden fabric things to go over all of our raised beds and we had horrible luck with those. Everything that got attacked was covered with one of those. For example, we often see tomato hornworms in our garden at some point (and we go out and pick thm off) we would go out at night with a black light and that makes them easier to see and get rid of them without using pesticides. And this year I had over 40 tomato plants and I never saw a single tomato hornworm. I did pray to the Lord to gaurd our garden and make it fruitful (which I never did before) and I was like, "Yah! Lord thanks I know t was you"! I was elated, because we live rurally, surrounded by deep woods, we have a racoon family on our land, a buck, a doe and their twin babies and rabbits and no fencing, so its pretty vulnerable. I am wondering if these hundreds of hummingbirds we feed would actually eat something as big as a hornworm (?) Not sure but I would see them land of the tomato cages and rest before going to their feeders. So no problems with anything this year. So either the caterpillers that did come and multiplied like crazy under the netting did so because their natural predators were blocked from ridding them from the area, or my husband (new at composting) did not heat up the compost piles appropriately. I am thinking its a little of both.

The netting helps keep birds off but that isnt always helpful in the caterpiller case, because they could have a buffet. But I know if I remove the neeting over the sweet potatoes I am sure the deer will gobble those up. I had planted a few in some 5 gallon containers just to see and they were stripped of their leaves in one night. I ended up breaking out the BT on the caterpillers under the netting feeding on the sweet potatoe leaves, I have to do something different here next year.

Typically though we dont have anything the animals find appealing but the sweet poatoes. And surrounding the area in garlic and onions might have helped some.

I would like to grow some fruit, for making jams, dont have anything sweet out there yet.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟63,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I will add, my husband made these hoop/garden fabric things to go over all of our raised beds and we had horrible luck with those.

We had a wonderful crop of tomatoes this year. The squirrels really enjoyed them so I assume they tasted just right. ;) This fall we're making frames with galvanized fencing mesh so they'll be totally covered next spring. I have a very short raised bed for my okra, but told my husband I'm going to turn the whole back yard into a vegetable garden. It's a small yard! So I've ordered one galvanized steel raised bed to find out if I want to go that way. Planting directly into our rock-hard ground is out of the question.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We had a wonderful crop of tomatoes this year. The squirrels really enjoyed them so I assume they tasted just right. ;) This fall we're making frames with galvanized fencing mesh so they'll be totally covered next spring. I have a very short raised bed for my okra, but told my husband I'm going to turn the whole back yard into a vegetable garden. It's a small yard! So I've ordered one galvanized steel raised bed to find out if I want to go that way. Planting directly into our rock-hard ground is out of the question.

That's one of the reasons we went with raised beds we have such horrible soil, ours is rock and clay too, so its about the same as yours I would think. But the raised beds do help alot when it come to not having to bend all the way over in the garden especially as you get older (that oftentimes gets harder). I do wish we would have gotten the much taller raised beds though, the only deterent was the cost of filling them (even if we stuffed the base with cardboard/ old logs/& leaves) and any other natural fillers we could pad them with. It would have taken more effort than what we were willing to put into those.

We have opted for much the same, the galvanized steel ones but with Aluzinc coating on them and curled upper edge. I think we bought either 10 or 11 of those "8 in 1" metal raised garden beds listed over at EpicGarden they are so nice and these work really well. We just got in 5 more of the smaller "6 in 1" version of the same garden beds. Great beds and excellent customer service too. Very pleased.

Well, they really help with keeping the weeds way down with them and sure makes having a garden much easier.

My husband promised me a fence last year, but that (ofcourse) never happened (maybe by 2027)? ^_^

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟63,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
. . . metal raised garden beds listed over at EpicGarden they are so nice and these work really well. We just got in 5 more of the smaller "6 in 1" version of the same garden beds. Great beds and excellent customer service too. Very pleased.

Well, they really help with keeping the weeds way down with them and sure makes having a garden much easier.

I've watched the Epic Gardening videos on YouTube, didn't know they had a store. I'll have to check it out. I ordered the raised bed on Amazon, was told it was a good one. It's supposed to be delivered today so hopefully I can get out in the morning when it's not quite so hot and get it put together. I purchased a 4x8 that's 12 inches tall just because of the need for so much filling for the taller ones. I've been making my own mulch so that will help. Guess I'll see how it goes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've watched the Epic Gardening videos on YouTube, didn't know they had a store. I'll have to check it out. I ordered the raised bed on Amazon, was told it was a good one. It's supposed to be delivered today so hopefully I can get out in the morning when it's not quite so hot and get it put together. I purchased a 4x8 that's 12 inches tall just because of the need for so much filling for the taller ones. I've been making my own mulch so that will help. Guess I'll see how it goes.

We do the same with mulch, we had some of larger trees to close to the house (which were dead basically) cut down along with trimming down a few more and since the tree service had this huge (much more efficient) mulcher with them I just asked them to dump the whole truckload of it in a certain area. That mulch was still a little more chunkier than what we might desire but my husband ends up running it through our smaller one and the mulch was perfect. Its certainly alot cheaper than buying what we might need.

Good luck with putting your new bed together!:oldthumbsup:

I'll tell ya, those little bolts all the way around these things takes what seems like forever to put on while you are doing it.

If ever you do more than a few in a day wearing bandaides on the fingers you use to twist them in can really be helpful to prevent blisters.

Upvote 0