N/A
✟150,144.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do not want to ask "are animals saved", because animals do not sin, so its not about salvation.

But are animals (well, I am asking specifically about our pets, not about some insects living in the wild) just temporal beings or do they have soul/spirit that lives after their bodies fail like ours? Will we meet them again?

I know that Bible (sadly) does not say much about this. There are few verses that are about animals (like "who knows, whether the spirit of the beast goes down" or Paul's restoration of creation), but these are quite ambiguous. So, what is your opinion or reasoning?

Last edited:

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is a pleasant thought that our pets might have a life after death:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,144.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We have no indication from scripture one way or the other; and it is not good to speculate.

I think we have more ways of knowing God than just the Bible.

And I think its a good thing to think.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, what is your opinion or reasoning?

animals do not sin, so its not about salvation.
I think I have seen how animals can behave in a selfish way, and in ways which the Bible says is not right. For example, "fear of death" is slavery to Satan > I offer Hebrews 2:14-15. And it appears how various wild and domesticated animals live according to "fear of death". So, I see this can mean there is the evil "spirit of fear" (Romans 8:15) causing how a number of animals live and react.

Also, I see the behavioral pattern of how various animals live mainly for their own selves, including with competition and jealousy, instead of loving all others as their own selves and wanting what is good for others just as much as for their own selves.

"if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" Jesus says in Matthew 5:46.

And then, of course, we have people who love their pets, but they are not investing in getting real correction so we can love any and all people as our own selves. For such people, pets might be comfort love, like comfort food which can make someone feel better but without getting strength of Jesus (Ephesians 6:10) against fear of death stuff and strength for staying out of arguing and complaining (Philippians 2:13-16) and strength so we can relate without getting hurt >

"And who is he who will harm you if you become followers of what is good?" (1 Peter 3:13)

With Jesus, we can become forgiving and examples to show wrong and cruel people how they need to become in love. We see how the Bible says people have become and need to be "examples" > 1 Thessalonians 1:7, 1 Peter 5:3.

But I have seen how dogs can be mainly or only about reading their pee-mail, possibly like how certain people now can only or mainly relate with their cell phones.

We need to prepare for Heaven which is in all-loving love. We can get strong in Jesus so we can handle how people around us are not right and not nice and even abusive, so we can help them to come to Jesus and trust in Him.

But in case we are mainly trusting in pets for love . . . and our pets are mainly loving us . . . being mainly about each other is not relating with Jesus and learning how He has us loving with "rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:28-30) Comfort love is not real correction > Hebrews 12:4-11.

But God does give us "all things to enjoy." (in 1 Timothy 6:17) So, we are welcome to enjoy nature and our pets, but in the restoration all will be all-loving, in the "glorious liberty of the children of God." (in Romans 8:20-21)

So, we can pray this and seek this, and not be wishful.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not want to ask "are animals saved", because animals do not sin, so its not about salvation.

But are animals (well, I am asking specifically about our pets, not about some insects living in the wild) just temporal beings or do they have soul/spirit that lives after their bodies fail like ours? Will we meet them again?

I know that Bible (sadly) does not say much about this. There are few verses that are about animals (like "who knows, whether the spirit of the beast goes down" or Paul's restoration of creation), but these are quite ambigous. So, what is your opinion or reasoning?
Gordon Clark (taught philosophy at Butler University in Indianapolis) said: In one way this is reminiscent of Genesis 2:7. As God breathed into Adam’s nostrils the breath or spirit of life, so too God sent forth his spirit into the animals.

Some people are afraid to say that animals have souls. They not only have souls, they are souls. Some people are afraid to say that animals have spirit. But Genesis 6:17 and 7:15, and Psalm 104:29, as well as Ecclesiastes 3:21 ascribe spirit to animals. Animals are souls. They are not just clay.

So I hope to see my pets on the other side.....

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green

I know that Bible (sadly) does not say much about this. There are few verses that are about animals (like "who knows, whether the spirit of the beast goes down" or Paul's restoration of creation), but these are quite ambigous. So, what is your opinion or reasoning?
There have been some reports of animal ghosts, though not nearly as many reports as that of human ghosts. I have no idea if animals live again, but some people are convinced that they will see their pets in Heaven.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

See them exact animals again
seems not
but we won't miss them
or anyone
or anything else of this earth
Heaven 100% perfect
hard to understand?
M-Bob

Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I think Thomas Aquinas is the person responsible for the theory that non-human living beings have only a "material" soul, one that can (and will) be destroyed at death. This seems to be the most reasonable idea, but I'd love if someone could disprove it (I have a soft spot for cats).

Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Well, we do know there will be animals when God recreates the earth and they will all be friendly. Also, he can certainly reunite us with our departed pets ... personally I choose to believe this. Animals have the breath of life, just like we have the breath of life, and the breath of life returns to God. But, regardless it's going to be a wonderful life with Him.

Ecclesiastes 3:19

For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other; indeed, they all have the same breath and there is no advantage for man over beast, for all is vanity.

Job 12:10

In whose hand is the life of every living thing, And the breath of all mankind

Isaiah 11:6-9

The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat, and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together; and a little child shall lead them. The cow and the bear shall graze; their young shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. The nursing child shall play over the hole of the cobra, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the adder's den. They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.

Romans 8:21-22

That the creation itself (everything created) will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now.

Hosea 2:18

And I will make for them a covenant on that day with the beasts of the field, the birds of the heavens, and the creeping things of the ground. And I will abolish the bow, the sword, and war from the land, and I will make you lie down in safety.

Yeah, I'm believing I'm going to see my precious departed pets. I don't think the Lord will hold that against me if I'm wrong ;o)

Thank you Lord for the wonderful pet friends you have given us. Amen

God Bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I think Thomas Aquinas is the person responsible for the theory that non-human living beings have only a "material" soul, one that can (and will) be destroyed at death. This seems to be the most reasonable idea, but I'd love if someone could disprove it (I have a soft spot for cats).
You are probably right, but Aquinas did not know everything. Even the Catholic Church's current teaching on Mary does not match up 100 percent with what Aquinas taught, though very close. Aquinas may have been right about animals, but he may have been wrong also.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think we have more ways of knowing God than just the Bible.

And I think its a good thing to think.
It's fine to consider and you're right, we can know God in creation and not just in the bible. But there, sadly, is no indication, for OR against, whether in the bible or creation, that gives even a hint of what happens to our pets.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
You are probably right, but Aquinas did not know everything. Even the Catholic Church's current teaching on Mary does not match up 100 percent with what Aquinas taught, though very close. Aquinas may have been right about animals, but he may have been wrong also.
I know, but it's the theory that convinces me.

Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. The idea of pets in heaven with us is just a desire to hang onto in heaven what we love here. Heaven is a good place, but I doubt it's all about making us happy. When we go there we will leave everything behind including family members that are dear to us. So why would pets go to heaven when your own mother whom Christ died for may not go there. A criteria must be met for heaven. There is nothing to show that non-human beings of the earth will go there.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

YES.

When my pet dog died, I was thousands of miles away in another country. I didn't know she was sick, didn't even know she died already.

But same day she died (as I found out later), I saw my pet dog in my dream. I saw our house in the city, but in the dream our house wasn't in the city. Our house was situated in the middle of a vast, green pasture. It was beautiful!

As I got into our house, I saw my dog in the dream, she was restored to youth and ran to greet me.

It was also the same day, I'm awake and I felt the spirit of a little (human) girl came to find rest in me. I knew it was my dog.

My parents called me a week later to tell me the news but I already knew!

The same week, it rained furiously and flooded the desert I was working on!

Made quite an impact in my life that I even had prophetic dreams of having her many many years back!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,144.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. The idea of pets in heaven with us is just a desire to hang onto in heaven what we love here. Heaven is a good place, but I doubt it's all about making us happy. When we go there we will leave everything behind including family members that are dear to us. So why would pets go to heaven when your own mother whom Christ died for may not go there. A criteria must be met for heaven. There is nothing to show that non-human beings of the earth will go there.

If God is love more than I, why would He made heaven to be lower than I can imagine?

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,144.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do you think that this idea is the most reasonable?

Upvote 0

StrivingFollower

Oct 20, 2017
South
✟35,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With how beautiful and educating a relationship with an animal can be, I'd have to think that our loving God would restore at least some animals. I mean I remember a couple pets of my family that were incredibly loving and lived very short lives due to health misfortune. I don't think God would say "time's up" for them. And just think about all the beautiful animal imagery in the Bible. I think there's something to that.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think animals have souls per se, but I think it's possible that they might be in Heaven. I know I certainly would hope so. Scripture is of course silent on this matter, but silence usually doesn't necessarily imply either acceptance or rejection of any one topic.

Upvote 0