Nashville
✟40,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Why does a church support the abuser and shun the abused (the one who left)? Some churches believe that you must remain married no matter what. I thought the Bible was more clear on remarriage. Patriarchal churches seem particularly hard on a woman who leaves an abusive relationship. This encourages men to never change (imo). Also, some churches wait until the divorce has occurred until they reach out to the family. Is this usual in all churches?

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It shouldn't be.

Our church community has never been hard on an abused spouse; in fact, the opposite. Abuse has no place within the sanctity of marriage; therefore neither do abusers.

Any form of abuse should be condemned and the sufferers supported in their decisions. In turn, abusers should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

All good things
Emmy

Upvote 0

Nova2216

If truth is discounted then lies become normal.
May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Why does a church support the abuser and shun the abused (the one who left)? Some churches believe that you must remain married no matter what. I thought the Bible was more clear on remarriage. Patriarchal churches seem particularly hard on a woman who leaves an abusive relationship. This encourages men to never change (imo). Also, some churches wait until the divorce has occurred until they reach out to the family. Is this usual in all churches?
Abuse is just as much as a sin as adultery. (1Jn 3:4)

You may find some comfort here.

1Co 7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You would need a scientific poll or study of all churches to answer that question.

When physical safety is in danger, separation should be permitted (Luke 21:20-21) - but it should not be taken as a license to remarry (Matt 19:9, 1 Cor 7:10-11).

• Agree
Reactions: Salvadore
Upvote 0

Toynbee

Trump Won
Sep 22, 2011
✟40,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every congregation, regardless their denominational or non-denominational affiliation, deals with this issue differently. I've seen some very conservative congregations ignore the subject of divorce altogether and I've seen more liberal groups be very dogmatic about it. Runs the gamut.

Upvote 0