Divorce and remarriage: ongoing adultery?

iLearn

Jul 12, 2019
Sabah
✟14,765.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is he not behaving like an unbeliever in this case? The verse (Matthew 5:32) she uses to condemn herself is written for HIM, not her. ALSO, the NIV translates it, "...makes her the victim of adultery.", which is in keeping with the versions that say, "...makes her commit adultery." or "makes her an adulterer." One version even goes so far as to say, "...makes her appear to be an adulterer." which may well be the intended meaning.

Many versions of (1 Corinthians 7:15) use the word 'but': "But God has called you into peace."; "but God hath called us to peace." Sounds to me like, there's an overriding principle of peace, in the matter. Matthew 5:32 is a remonstrance against divorce, not a condemnation of the wife who has been divorced.

1 Corinthians 7:15 doesn't say, "in the case where the unbelieving husband wants to leave..."; it says, "in such cases". To me, that includes cases LIKE the one described.

This is not a black and white issue, and in the end, what's done is done. But he calls us to peace.
No to me, he acted like an ignorant believer. Unless he embraced another religion or became atheist, or he committed fornication first before she got herself married again then she is in my opinion living in sin.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would not risk marrying a divorced woman personally.
No. She is not living in adultery. The husband is the one who left her and remarried. She really should talk to a priest or pastor to set her mind at ease about her marriage now.
You identify as Catholic. Where in Catholic teaching is this affirmed?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would not risk marrying a divorced woman personally.

You identify as Catholic. Where in Catholic teaching is this affirmed?
Well Catholics have annulment when marriages prove to be invalid for whatever reason. But I do not think Catholic teaching applies here. I’m giving my opinion on what I have read in Scripture. He left her. She is not responsible for his actions. And were they believers at the time? I know divorce and remarriage is very common in Protestant Churches unfortunately but we do not know what the situation was at the time in this case. :pray:

As far as the Catholic view, you can read up on it here.
Answering Common Questions about Annulments

What Are the Grounds for an Annulment?

Upvote 0

TatiG

Nov 17, 2021
Florida
✟25,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Coincidentally I was researching this just last night. This pastor on a website explained it perfectly well.

"What is the status of a Christian who divorces without biblical grounds and remarries? Is he living in perpetual adultery? What about the concept of forgiveness? If someone has remarried unbiblically and seek forgiveness, is he forgiven?"

"In Matthew 5:31-32, Jesus says, “It has been said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.”

Jesus is saying that the act of remarriage is an act of adultery. He is not teaching that the ongoing conjugal relationship with the new spouse is a state of “perpetual adultery”--as if God refused to recognize the remarriageas legitimate in any sense.

If that were the case--if the ongoing physical relationship between the remarried couple constituted one long, continuous, adulterous affair—the proper remedy, and the only way to end the chain of adultery, would be to dissolve the second marriage and insist that everyone return to his or her original spouse. On the contrary, Scripture teaches that the new marriage is now binding. In order to avoid further acts of adultery, the remarried person needs to remain faithful to the new spouse.

As a matter of fact, in the same passage where Moses permitted husbands to issue a certificate of divorce, the law added this restriction: “When she has departed from his house, and goes and becomes another man’s wife, if the latter husband detests her and writes her a certificate of divorce, puts it in her hand, and sends her out of his house, or if the latter husband dies who took her as his wife, then her former husband who divorced her must not take her back to be his wife after she has been defiled; for that is an abomination before the LORD” (Deuteronomy 24:2-4, emphasis added).

Clearly, the second marriage—whether biblically justified or not—becomes as binding as the original marriage was supposed to be. A return to the original spouse is strictly forbidden.

So Jesus’ words in Matthew 5:32 (and Mark 10:11-12) mean simply that entering into an illegitimate remarriage is an adulterous act. Nevertheless, once that new marriage covenant is sealed, the remarried couple needs to remain married and be faithful to one another. Their on going physical relationship is not to bethought of as “perpetual adultery.”

On the other hand, as long as they remain unrepentant about the illegitimate remarriage, they cannot expect God’s blessing on their marriage. Like all sins, that unauthorized remarriage must be confessed and repented of.

Because marriage entails a covenant that God deems holy, any remarriage (even remarriage after an unbiblical divorce) cannot be—and should not be—forsaken as we would forsake virtually any other sin. But people who have entered into such a relationship do need to seek God’s forgiveness with sincere repentance.

And yes, God does grant forgiveness for such sins to those who seek His pardon in Christ."

Phil Johnson
Executive Director

(Are people who remarry in danger of committing perpetual adultery?)​

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the old days, a few stout men from the church would pay him a visit, whereby he would either change his ways or leave the area for good. Nowadays, that means is no longer available.

That actually did happen in Calvary Chapel of Honolulu when we attended there in the early 90s. They had a series of confidential safehouses called "House of Ruth" where they'd secure the wife while a team of "stout men from the church would pay him a visit."

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,344.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That actually did happen in Calvary Chapel of Honolulu when we attended there in the early 90s. They had a series of confidential safehouses called "House of Ruth" where they'd secure the wife while a team of "stout men from the church would pay him a visit."
What if the wife was lying? It happens frequently.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,344.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They had experienced counselors who had both professional and spiritual discernment about such things.
Even experienced counselors make frequent mistakes and can be influenced by a good liar.

Thats why there should be no "street justice".

Upvote 0