aleylueyah

He is big.
Jan 26, 2004
I love you.
✟139.00
Faith
Protestant
Hear my testimony:
I went to Russia two summers ago, and God told my mom that I would recieve my prayer language while I was there. He prepared me by making me aware of the fact that there WAS a thing called tongues. I had never heard of it before. My mom didn't tell me this would happen because she didn't want there to be any pressure on me. Our sister-church turned out to be charismatic. I had never seen anything like that before--people went up to the front and recieved healing. I did not actually know that people were speaking in tongues, because I couldn't tell the difference between Russian and tongues during worship. During worship I got frustrated because I didn't know the words to the majority of the songs, so I thought, "I'll just open my mouth and let whatever comes out glorify God." I had no idea that I was praising in tongues.

Obviously, I have not been raised in the charismatic church. Only in the past few months have I really been searching out answers to everything in the charismatic realm. I was extremely curious about everything and have even began to claim healing on friends and family through Jesus' name based on my new knowledge and experience. Praise God! I love having this kind of emotional bond with God.

Sadly, when I look around and ask people questions about pentecostal stuff, I see that the charismatic movement tends to cause a great amount of division in the body of Christ. People will not accept that God will go outside of the box in this kind of way, and if they do, they are somewhat bitter towards those who do not.

That's okay--people are welcome to not share in the blessing of the sign gifts. What matters is that they confess with their mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in their hearts that God raised Him from the dead.

I don't care about the specifics of what you believe, what denomination you are, or how you show your love to God. All I care about is that you focus on Jesus. It's all about Jesus.

I used to let the numerous, diverse denominations really dissilusion me. It scared me that there were so many different beliefs based on the same Bible. Now I look at it positively: we have the freedom to interpret the Bible for ourselves. Imagine if we did not! When we're in heaven we'll probably find out what Christianity was supposed to look like, and I look forward to that. Once again, I'll say that it is all about where you are with JESUS.

What can we draw from the rantings of my adolescent self? Fix your eyes on Jesus. Be blinded by the SON-LIGHT. Respect our denominational differences. If Christians keep being so caught up in making sure that everyone else knows the RIGHT denomination or belief system, how are we going to bring anyone else into the body of Christ?

"Christians, we're all afraid of fire. We prefer to suck on pacifiers. Baby pacifists, we're throwing fits, we don't shake hands, we shake our fists. We're cannibals, we watch our brothers fall. We eat our own the bones and all...finally fell asleep on the plane, to wake to see we're going down in flames."
-Relient K, "Down in Flames"

Let's stop that, NOW. :clap:

Reactions: cyberwing

dotcomguy

Jan 31, 2004
Dover, PA
Visit site
✟7,730.00
Faith
Christian
aleylueyah said:
I used to let the numerous, diverse denominations really dissilusion me. It scared me that there were so many different beliefs based on the same Bible. Now I look at it positively: we have the freedom to interpret the Bible for ourselves. Imagine if we did not! When we're in heaven we'll probably find out what Christianity was supposed to look like, and I look forward to that. Once again, I'll say that it is all about where you are with JESUS.

What can we draw from the rantings of my adolescent self? Fix your eyes on Jesus. Be blinded by the SON-LIGHT. Respect our denominational differences. If Christians keep being so caught up in making sure that everyone else knows the RIGHT denomination or belief system, how are we going to bring anyone else into the body of Christ?
Excellent post. There can be unity among the body of Christ despite differences in certain aspect of that faith, so long as we have the same foundation. The open and thoughtful discussion I found to be harboured here is what caught my attention about this forum and which brings me back. :)

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
aleylueyah said:
Obviously, I have not been raised in the charismatic church. Only in the past few months have I really been searching out answers to everything in the charismatic realm. I was extremely curious about everything and have even began to claim healing on friends and family through Jesus' name based on my new knowledge and experience. Praise God! I love having this kind of emotional bond with God.

Sadly, when I look around and ask people questions about pentecostal stuff, I see that the charismatic movement tends to cause a great amount of division in the body of Christ. People will not accept that God will go outside of the box in this kind of way, and if they do, they are somewhat bitter towards those who do not.

That's okay--people are welcome to not share in the blessing of the sign gifts. What matters is that they confess with their mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in their hearts that God raised Him from the dead.

I don't care about the specifics of what you believe, what denomination you are, or how you show your love to God. All I care about is that you focus on Jesus. It's all about Jesus.

"Christians, we're all afraid of fire. We prefer to suck on pacifiers. Baby pacifists, we're throwing fits, we don't shake hands, we shake our fists. We're cannibals, we watch our brothers fall. We eat our own the bones and all...finally fell asleep on the plane, to wake to see we're going down in flames."
-Relient K, "Down in Flames"

Let's stop that, NOW. :clap:
Good preaching! Biblical preaching, too! We are all one in Christ. We made the divisions, not Him, and He won't care what kind of church dinner we susbscribe too :D as long as BELIEVE in Him.

Some time ago, someone described my denom (Church of God, Cleveland TN) as Baptists who speak in tongue. I couldn't stop laughing at that.

Upvote 0

PatrickM

What? You're not a Fightin' Irish fan????
Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Perhaps we could look at our diversity as an act of God! If we were walking lock-stepped in every doctrine, we might be viewed as a "cult"?

A mosaic, when viewed as a whole, can be a beautiful picture. However, when we take out each stone and view them individually, this removes the contribution to the whole.

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Maybe our interpretaion of "Father, I pray that they all become one as we are one," is already fulfilled. After all its Jesus that makes us all one. Not a doctrinal concept. We are all one in Him now, and always have been, and we're the ones that do the chiseling at the body, until it's hard to see that anymore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.