Eastern Time Zone US
✟163,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible teaches us of three wills: The will of man, the will of Jesus, and the will of the Father. They are distinctly different.

Man's will: "9 What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; 10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. 12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one." - Romans 3:10-12. Our wills are not free, but a slave to sin. Since we have this will of the flesh, we are not robots. God is God, so of course, He is in control of all things (omnipotent), thus He knows all things from everlasting to everlasting.

Jesus' will:
"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." - 2 Peter 3:9.
"And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people." - Luke 2:8.
“15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.” - John 3:15-17.
These verses are often confused with preaching free will, but they say nothing of will, free or otherwise. They teach salvation by belief. Whosoever believes shall be saved. Whosoever won't believe, won't be saved. These are facts, future tense, not speaking of our will as being in control. Jesus' will is to save the whole world.

The Father's Will: "38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. 39 And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. 40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day." - John 6:38-40.
In John 17 Jesus prays to the Father, not for the world, but those whom the Father gives to Jesus out of the world, not only up to that time, but for all believers in the future as well (verses 20-21).
" 37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." - John 6:37.
"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." - John 6:44.
"64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. 65 And he said, ‘Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.’ 66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him." - John 6:64-66.
"Jesus saith unto him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.’" - John 14:6.

So, we can't come to the Father but by the Son, and we can't come unto the Son except it be given to us of the Father; that He draws us to the Son, that He gives us to the Son, who will not cast us out for any reason and will raise us up at the last day. All that the Father gives to Jesus shall come to Him. There is not even an inkling of man's responsibility or will involved here, neither indeed can be; it is all the work of God. Three wills, starting with the Father, completed by the Son with the Holy Spirit, and man who strives with God in this life, even after salvation.

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can you include the Will of the Holy Spirit, the 3rd Person of the Trinity?

John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

Upvote 0

Sound Doctrine

Endure Sound Doctrine
Site Supporter
May 31, 2018
Eastern Time Zone US
✟163,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you include the Will of the Holy Spirit, the 3rd Person of the Trinity?

Jesus came to do the will of His Father. Jesus gives us who believe, the Holy Spirit so that we may do the will of the Father: "...Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven." The will of the Holy Spirit and of Jesus are the same in this regard.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The will of the Father is also the same? John 4:24 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. In the beginning... all Spirit... And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2. And God said LET US...

Just wondering since you were splitting the Personalities apart, why you forgot the Holy Spirit. Carry on.

Upvote 0

Sound Doctrine

Endure Sound Doctrine
Site Supporter
May 31, 2018
Eastern Time Zone US
✟163,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Three wills, starting with the Father, completed by the Son with the Holy Spirit

I didn't forget the Holy Spirit in my OP. Yes, the three persons of God are one God. The will of the Father and the will of the Son are clearly defined, as I posted. The Holy Spirit is truly also part of the Godhead, but from what I see in Scripture so far, His will is the same as the Father's. Jesus came to do the will of the Father, which is to save all whom He gives to the Son. In John 17, Jesus prays for only those whom the Father gives Him, and not for the world, nor everyone in it; just God's children. The rest are of the Devil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0