• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Distraction Ideas for Masturbation/Sexual Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Open the Scriptures: When facing urges, look to scripture to help challenge your thoughts.
Romans 13:14 Rather clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.

James 1:21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

Ephesians 5:3 but among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.

1 Peter 1:16 For it is written: "Be holy, because I am oly."

Job 31:1 I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a girl/guy.

2 Timothy 2:22 Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Pray: Begin to pray for others. Thank God for all He's done for you. Ask Him for strength to abstain.

Rubberband: Some professionals have advocated putting a rubberband around your wrist. Then when having urges, snap the rubberband to associate a negative reponse to the urges.

Filters: Put a filter on your computer to prevent yourself from seeking out sexual pictures.

Do Something:
  • Go outside and sit
  • Take a walk
  • Go to the library
  • Visit the mall
  • Change rooms
  • Go to church
  • Visit a friend
  • Go bowling
  • Visit a museum
  • Exercise
  • Take a cold shower
  • Play a game
  • Read your child a story
  • Call your pastor
  • Dance
  • Read a book
  • Play basketball
  • Play the piano or another instrument
  • Make jewelry
  • Work on the car
  • Other - what else would help you distract?
Accountability: Identify someone you can be acountable to. When you have urges, call your accountability partner so he/she can help you get through the urges. Your accountability partner should be abstaining or working on abstaining and understand your belief about abstaining so they can encourage you without mocking you.

Charge Yourself: Every time you give in and touch or sexually fantasize, charge yourself $5 that you donate to the charity of your choice.

Visualization: Visualize yourself at the feet of Jesus and His desire to help you.

JussiOlavi

God's multi - purpose workman
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2010
Middle-Finland
✟49,413.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
:wave:Well, I'm not looking this forum very often! So when I look this forum and posts it looks like I'm finding a piece of gold everytime.

I would like to know from which translation are those Bible sentences taken?
I have eleven Bible versions in English and literally I did not found those places but contents are the same.

Blessings with God full joy!:clap:

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Rubberband: Some professionals have advocated putting a rubberband around your wrist. Then when having urges, snap the rubberband to associate a negative reponse to the urges.
Self injury?:o What professionals recommended that?

Just for clarification when you say "urges" do you mean sexual feelings/impulses, lust...?

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:wave:Well, I'm not looking this forum very often! So when I look this forum and posts it looks like I'm finding a piece of gold everytime.

I would like to know from which translation are those Bible sentences taken?
I have eleven Bible versions in English and literally I did not found those places but contents are the same.

Blessings with God full joy!:clap:

Most are the old NIV version.

Self injury?:o What professionals recommended that?

Just for clarification when you say "urges" do you mean sexual feelings/impulses, lust...?

Hopefully you won't snap the rubberband hard enough to cause injury! :o It has been used for dealing with sexual addiction, inappropriate contentography, self-injury, and other habits.

I think the urges are open to whatever a person is struggling with. Of course, a counselor would be better to answer the questions of all the things this might work for. :)

Upvote 0

JussiOlavi

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2010
Middle-Finland
✟49,413.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi,
the best of course is when Jesus heals so that you do not have weakness in this area in your life so when temptation comes you can say no thanks and it really works...

But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. (1. Peter 5:10)

No matter how long it takes - DO NOT GIVE UP!

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,133.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Open the Scriptures:When facing urges, look to scripture to help challenge your thoughts.
Romans 13:14 Rather clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.

James 1:21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

Ephesians 5:3 but among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.

2 Timothy 2:22 Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
Pray: Begin to pray for others. Thank God for all He's done for you. Ask Him for strength to abstain.

Filters: Put a filter on your computer to prevent yourself from seeking out sexual pictures.

Do Something:
  • Go outside and sit
  • Take a walk
  • Go to the library
  • Visit the mall
  • Change rooms
  • Go to church
  • Visit a friend
  • Go bowling
  • Visit a museum
  • Exercise
  • Take a cold shower
  • Play a game
  • Call your pastor
  • Dance
  • Read a book
  • Play basketball
  • Make jewelry
  • Work on the car
Accountability: Identify someone you can be acountable to. When you have urges, call your accountability partner so he/she can help you get through the urges. Your accountability partner should be abstaining or working on abstaining and understand your belief about abstaining so they can encourage you without mocking you.

Charge Yourself: Every time you give in and touch or sexually fantasize, charge yourself $5 that you donate to the charity of your choice.

Visualization: Visualize yourself at the feet of Jesus and His desire to help you.
Well, I don't view inappropriate content, but I like those ideas to cut masturbation, which I do too much of. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Baz

Nov 20, 2011
✟7,705.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Whenever I touch, it is out of need to feel loved. It creates this illusion of well being. Quite often, I am most susceptible when stressed or depressed. It makes me feel so dirty and ashamed and it keeps me away from God, making me feel lonelier than ever. I've have to learn to redirect that need for love towards God and it's really been helping me because masturbation confined me to a very small, selfish, lonely world.It also started getting out of control, fanning an unquenchable flame. It wears at your self-control like acid, you seriously don't need Doctor Phil to tell you that.

Ironically, reading Song of Solomon helps purify love for me because it helps me parallel my relationship with God to that of marriage. It is the overflow of his love, not the suppression of my desires that helps be leave it in the first place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChildofGod777

Keeping sight of the vow we made
Apr 25, 2012
St Louis
✟8,049.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's surprising to see women on this page. I always thought it was harder for men to abstain from such activity. Goes to show we ALL have weaknesses and things that are hard to control. Praise God for His forgivness. I'm sorry Lord tho for sinning against you

Upvote 0

JussiOlavi

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2010
Middle-Finland
✟49,413.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
When ever you go down you always have the possibility to come up again. What ever took you in that situation that you gave up there is always Jesus waiting for you. It may take time to trust Him again but He sure is trustworthy! In the end where could you go? Giving up to lust is easy - especially when you are down and weak. But start to fight today your way back to presence of Jesus. He is waiting for you!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::clap::amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoyalToGod

Prayer Warrior for Christ
Mar 21, 2012
New York, NY
✟53,695.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Open the Scriptures:When facing urges, look to scripture to help challenge your thoughts.

Do Something:
  • Go outside and sit
  • Take a walk
  • Go to the library
  • Visit the mall
  • Change rooms
  • Go to church
  • Visit a friend
  • Go bowling
  • Visit a museum
  • Exercise
  • Take a cold shower
  • Play a game
  • Call your pastor
  • Dance
  • Read a book
  • Play basketball
  • Make jewelry
  • Work on the car

these ideas are perfect for cutting out the urge to touch out of our lives. I sure could use these ideas. Thank you!

Upvote 0

CollectsBooks

Feb 17, 2013
Roanoke, Va
✟15,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm realizing that I don't have the strength to "endure" temptation. As soon as it appears I run, not try to remain near it and fight. I appreciate the list. Another tool I use is John Piper's videos on youtube concerning inappropriate content and masturbation. They remind me why I abstain when I try to convince myself it's not a bad thing.

Upvote 0

seutol85

Mar 4, 2013
✟15,107.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Great tips.

In addition, Romans 12:2 says "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." We renew our mind through the daily intake of God's Word. Urges have their root in the mind...so when God's Word dominates our mind, unholy urges have no place in our life. Remember, light and darkness NEVER co-exist.

Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Every night, I unmake, then remake my bed before I go to sleep. I usually wait until I'm tired to go to bed, so it helps me be even more tired, then I'm usually too tired to touch. Also, whenever I have those thoughts in my head, I immediately start to say,"I bind these thoughts in the name of Christ," and they immediately leave.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.