Distinctive Doctrines that DEFINE the SDA denomination as a distinct entity

Is this new news or old news to you?

• This is not news to me and it makes perfect sense

• I knew this but I don't know how that list defines a denomination's distinctiveness

• I never new this before - but it makes sense that that would define a distinct denomination

• I have my own ideas of what the distinctive doctrines should be

• I prefer some other doctrines for the SDA denomination to start believing

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Interesting article on Wikipedia : Pillars of Adventism - Wikipedia

Says this:
"the Pillars of Adventism are landmark doctrines for Seventh-day Adventists; Bible doctrines that define who they are as a people of faith; doctrines that are "non-negotiables" in Adventist theology. The Seventh-day Adventist church teaches that these Pillars are needed to prepare the world for the second coming of Jesus Christ, and sees them as a central part of its own mission. Adventists teach that the Seventh-day Adventist Church doctrines were both a continuation of the reformation started in the 16th century and a movement of the end time rising from the Millerites, bringing God's final messages and warnings to a world.
Contents
To me it is a little odd that they lump "state of the dead" and the Millennium - together. I think the wiki article should have had something like "Pre-mill Rapture as The Second Coming event" - which does get to the topic of the Millennium - and then "State of the dead" as its own link/topic

Last edited:

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
what are your thoughts?

I'm still a newbie, starting to learn but the first thing I looked up after listening to Doug Batchelor was the SDA official webpage. What I read made sense. I can't explain it, it just made sense. So, I've dived further into SDA doctrine and still can't find a showstopper. I firmly believe that the SDA has it right in so many ways, including the emphasis on education. So, unless or until I find something that stands out to me as non-biblical, I will continue on my path into the SDA. It just works for me. I've found tremendous community in my church, it's amazing to get emails, texts and phone calls from folks who just want to say "I'm thinking of you and praying for you"...never, ever had that before in any church community. The pastors are all about "call if you need ANYTHING" and I know they mean it. I walk into the church and feel folded into love.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm still a newbie, starting to learn but the first thing I looked up after listening to Doug Batchelor was the SDA official webpage. What I read made sense. I can't explain it, it just made sense. So, I've dived further into SDA doctrine and still can't find a showstopper. I firmly believe that the SDA has it right in so many ways, including the emphasis on education. So, unless or until I find something that stands out to me as non-biblical, I will continue on my path into the SDA. It just works for me. I've found tremendous community in my church, it's amazing to get emails, texts and phone calls from folks who just want to say "I'm thinking of you and praying for you"...never, ever had that before in any church community. The pastors are all about "call if you need ANYTHING" and I know they mean it. I walk into the church and feel folded into love.

Amen! I am happy you are on the right path.

Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
By contrast SDAs talk about the Bible - and how it shows our Fundamental Beliefs to be correct.

I've listened to heaven knows how many hours of SDA preaching lately (like AFTV and 3ABN all day every day) and the mentions of anyone or anything else besides the Godhead and scripture, I think I could count on one hand. The only talk I remember that quoted other writers outside the bible was the one about health and nutrition. But, in that one, many experts were quoted, AFTER the scriptural reasons to avoid certain foods. I'll admit that giving up shrimp will be tough, but considering I refuse to eat seafood that has been in transit for more than 24 hours, it's not a big deal. Now, if I still lived on the east coast, it might be a little rougher. Here in the frozen tundra of Colorado, not a big deal.

Hi, I'm Enilorac and I'm a AFTV/3ABN junkie!

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Have you read the Richest Caveman by Doug? He has talks about his life in the cave on TV, but the book goes into so much more detail. It is amazing how the Holy Spirit worked through him. From living in a cave to where Doug is today with his church and the direction he took Amazing Facts, it's an incredible story. God bless!

Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
@BobRyan I'll start the study this September. Once everyone gets through the whole summer/back to school thing, they'll start. I have a feeling I'm going to be REALLY busy this fall. I'm going back to school myself to finish my mechanical engineering degree, teaching 2 AutoCAD classes, then there's bible study at church. Oh, and I have to take the CAPM test so I can teach that class too. I know I'll REALLY be looking forward to the Sabbath by then...a chance to ditch the books and relax!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
@BobRyan I'll start the study this September. Once everyone gets through the whole summer/back to school thing, they'll start. I have a feeling I'm going to be REALLY busy this fall. I'm going back to school myself to finish my mechanical engineering degree, teaching 2 AutoCAD classes, then there's bible study at church. Oh, and I have to take the CAPM test so I can teach that class too. I know I'll REALLY be looking forward to the Sabbath by then...a chance to ditch the books and relax!

whew - sounds busy busy! I had to step down from my software dev life and press the "retire" button recently - so now I have "more time" for things like this in my day. :)

Reactions: Enilorac
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Does "church fathers" = Scripture?

Christ address this in Mark 7:6-13 proving that there is such a thing as tradition getting crossways with scripture -
Mark 7
6 And He said to them, “Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:
‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far away from Me.
7 ‘But in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’
8 Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
@BobRyan I grew up Catholic...I know all about those traditions that are doctrines of men not of God. #1 reason I left that behind...I finally bought a bible and actually READ it!

I have to admit - I really like the way you think. :)

The SDA evangelist Mark Finley is another person that grew up in a somewhat Catholic home (his mother was Catholic and his father was SDA) then had to decide which way to go as a young man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mod Hat On

Some Posts and Responses
have been Removed
in
Thread Clean

RV: Statement of Faith - Traditional Adventists Statement of Faith

Community Rules
In addition, if you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against this group's theology. You may post in fellowship. Active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of this group will be considered off topic. All posts within this faith community must adhere to the site wide rules.

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0