Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Pamelaopen said:
I would like to understand what dispensationalism is in lay terms. I would like to understand the mystery and any other terms used to describe dispensationalism.

Thanks in advance.
Dispensationalism simply believes that God has dealt with different people in different ways. Scofield defines a dispensation thus:

DISPENSATION

A dispensation is a period of time during which man is tested in respect of obedience to some specific revelation of the will of God. Seven such dispensations are distinguished in Scripture. (See Scofield "Genesis 1:28") , note 5.

There are four main dispensationalisms:

1. Classical,

2. Revised,

3. Progressive, and

4. Ultra.

The first three are explained here: http://www.theologicalstudies.org/dispen.html

and so I will deal with defining ultradispensationalism :)

Ultras can be split into three main groupings, Acts 9, Acts 13 and Acts 28. However we tend to think of two Mid-Acts (9 and 13) and Ultras (28). All of these positions TEND to reject water baptism but not all do, however most of those who are Acts 28 also reject the Lord's Supper.

The mystery is Jew and Gentile being formed into one body, a new creation, and this did not start until after Paul because it was unto Him that the dispensation was given and the mystery revealed. Charles Ryrie states that a dispensational shift must have new revelation however most Acts 2 dispensationalists start the dispensation of Grace BEFORE its revelation which is just plain wrong. I will stop to take questions :)

Here are some good ultra links:

http://www.therain.org/appendixes/

http://www.heavendwellers.com/hd_dispensational_menu.htm

Upvote 0

Leimeng

Sep 25, 2004
Arizona USA
✟1,772.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
~ Much of Dispensationalism is a false teaching in the same way that calvinism, arminianism and pelegarianism are.
~ The Bible clearly states that God is not a God of Changes, and that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. The plan of redemption from Eden was though Jesus Christ. To say that people are saved by different means at different points in history is to call Jesus liar as well as discount the contents of the Bible.
~ Will believing in Dispensationalism affect YOUR salvation? Probably not, but why be believe it at all?
~ Continue to discuss amongst yourselves.

Peace,

Leimeng

Flatulo Ergo Sum ~~

Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Pamelaopen said:
I would like to understand what dispensationalism is in lay terms. I would like to understand the mystery and any other terms used to describe dispensationalism.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Pamelaopen . .

Basically dispensationalism is a form of pre-millenialism that takes the idea of dispensations mentioned in the bible and builds a system of belief based on the idea that certain promises of God to Israel have not been fulfilled yet, and as a result, see certain promises as still having a future fulfillment. To explain how this would be, and how God would fulfill them in light of Christ's death and resurrection and the Church and the promises to it, the main developers of this system of belief, Darby and Scofield, with others, have divided human history into Dispensations . . periods of time in which God dealt with man in a specific manner, with specific promies and requirements.

Dispensationalism sees that the dispensation of the Law to Israel was "interrupted" - that when the Jews refused Chrsit, God then instituted the Church age as a parenthesis between when God stopped dealing with Israel as a nation and when He will begin dealing with Israel as a nation once more sometime in the future. At that future time, dispensationalsim teaches that God will fulfill all remaining promises to Israel as a nation which as of yet unfulfilled (as seen by dispenationalism) in the end times.

Part of this end times belief system is the teaching of the Rapture . . the snatching away of the Church before God begins His final dealing with Israel as a nation . . .Since Dispensationalism sees the Church age as a paranthesis, the Church does not belong on earth when this happens according to their teaching. Dispenationalism also teaches that there will be a 7 year Tribulation period. Most Dispensationalists see the Rapture occuring before this 7 year Tribulation envisioned by Dispensationalism (some see it happening mid way or at the end of this Tribulation period).

After this 7 year Tribulation, dispensatinaism teaches there will be a 1000 year reign of Christ on earth in Jerusalem with Israel fully resotred as a nation on earth and will be their earthly king. Then all promises that dispensationalism sees as yet unfulrilled to Israel as a nation are to be fulfilled.

Now, what I believe is important to understand about this belief system is that while a related and very basice belief system, premillenialism, was held to by some in the Early Church, while others did not hold to it (pre millnenialism meaning that Christ would return to earth just prior to a literal 1000 year reign on earth), eschatology (end times belief systems) was not really foremost on their minds as they were facing severe persecution . . .

As this changed, this pre-millenialism of some gave way to an amillenial beleif in the Church. Amillenialsim teaches that there is no literal 1000 year reign of Christ, but that the verse which mentions this in Revelation is highly symbolic and symboizes the reign of Christ in the Church on earth now .. the 1000 years standing for a very long period of time. Revelation is the only place this is specifically mentioned, and given its highy symbolic nature the Church embraced this amillenial belief. . that Christ is reigning now in the Church.

From the Early Church on till the 1800's the view of the Church as a whole (with excpetions of some people here and there) has been this amillenial position . . . It was the view of the reformers and thoee who followed them, and continues to be for the vast majority of Christians today.

In the 1800's Darby of the Plymouth brethern developed the belief system known as Dispensationalism . . this system went well beyond anything premillenialism had ever promoted and was a very new belief system regarding end times. Though a basic element of it had been promoted by some in the Early Church, pre millenialsim, what Darby had come up with was new. Scofield created the Scofield reference bible which put dispensationalist notes along side scripture to demonstrate how dispensationalist beliefs lined up with and were supported by scripture (accordign to Darby and Scofield).

However, anyone can make the bible say anything and can make a reference bible that makes it appear that the bible says what they want it to say . . . so a study bible in and of itself is no proof that what is claimed there in is true.

Scofield's reference bible became very popular in evangelical circles, and so this belief system has spread into a large portion of evangelical chrsitianity.

I was dispenationalist in my beliefs for most of my 30 years as a protestant.

However, I am no longer due to several problems I have found with it.

First, it is based on the premise that God has not yet fulfilled all His promises to Israel as an earthly nation . ..

Because it is dispenationalism's claim that this is factually so, then this premise must be proven true . . otherwise it is an assumption, a theory.

What I have seen from my investigations into this is that God has indeed fulfilled all His promises to Israel as an earthly nation. So I cannot find any foundation for such a belief system as proposed by Darby, Scofield and others in Dispensationalism. Without this premise, there is no Dispenationalism. (this must be understood as a particular belief system and something seperate from the idea of dispensations as actually described in the bible).

Second, it requires a secret. hidden 3rd coming of Christ to "rapture" His Church out of the world prior to a 7 year Tribulation where no one will see Him but those being raptured.

The bible prophesies 2 comings of Christ, not 3. The first has come. The second will be when EVERY eye will see Him come in the clouds . . . There is no teaching in the bible that Christ comes to get His Church and hides Himself from all eyes . .

The 7 year Tribulation is also a result of the way Dispensationalism must interpret th bible to make this work.

Third, it requires that even though Christ came to die for all men, and to do away with the Temple sacrifices by His one sacrifice, dispensationalism teaches that the physical earthly Temple will be rebuilt in Jerusalem and the daily sacrifices reinstituted forever.

However, the bible says:
Heb 10:8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

Heb 10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

Heb 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Heb 10:11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:

Heb 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

The Temple sacrifices have been taken away. Dispensationalism teaches that they were temporarily removed, but will be restored (though they vary greatly as to even why this would be so). However, the words Paul used, "taketh away" don't carry a temporary meaning at all . . they mean this:
G337

ἀναιρέω

anaireō

Thayer Definition:

1) to take up, to lift up (from the ground)

1a) to take up for myself as mine

1b) to own (an exposed infant)

2) to take away, abolish

2a) to do away with or abrogate customs or ordinances

2b) to put out of the way, kill slay a man

Part of Speech: verb

A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G303 and (the active of) G138

To abolish, do away with, put out of the way as in death. A thing of finality.

These are some of the issues I have found with dispensationalism.

I would recommend that you research it for yourself, especially the claims made by dispenationalism.

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Excellent explanation, TLF!

I was, myself, a dispensationalist for 30 years.

Apart from an end-times scenario that is reminiscent of a sci-fi movie, I had even greater problems with the way dispensationalists treat the words, sayings and commands of Our Lord: in short, they don't apply to the Church because Jesus' time on earth was part of a different dispensation than we belong to. Boy, talk about taking all the joy out of reading the Gospels! The Beatitudes aren't for us, neither is the Lord's prayer, or hardly anything else. You can read the Gospels for historical interest if you like, but you've always got to be remembering that Jesus was only talking to Israel ("offering them the Kingdom") and not to us. Piffle.

Again, great post, Theresa. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PS

A dispensationalist pastor friend of mine believes that during the Millennium, not only will there be temple sacrifices offered but David himself will be sitting on the throne in Jerusalem.

This future animal sacrifice stuff is beyond the pale, if you ask me. Apart from what Theresa already explained, consider this: the literalist interpretation of passages in Isaiah tell about a time when lions will lie down with lambs and little kids can play with them. This sounds like peace will once again be restored to the animal kingdom... everywhere except in Jerusalem where wholesale slaughter of sacrificial animals will be a daily occurence. That's a bit jarring, doncha think?

Upvote 0
I

In Christ Forever

xenia said:
PS

A dispensationalist pastor friend of mine believes that during the Millennium, not only will there be temple sacrifices offered but David himself will be sitting on the throne in Jerusalem.

This future animal sacrifice stuff is beyond the pale, if you ask me. Apart from what Theresa already explained, consider this: the literalist interpretation of passages in Isaiah tell about a time when lions will lie down with lambs and little kids can play with them. This sounds like peace will once again be restored to the animal kingdom... everywhere except in Jerusalem where wholesale slaughter of sacrificial animals will be a daily occurence. That's a bit jarring, doncha think?

For one thing, the bible never mentions a 1000yr earthly reign of Christ except in revelations. And why would Christ come back to reinstitute an Old Convenant after destroying the first one in the first century and after sacrificing Himself on the Cross 2000yrs ago:confused:

When the author says what is obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away, does that mean we are still waiting on the OC to vanish away? Was only part of it taken away when God destroyed the temple and sacrifices in the first century? How much of the OC would remain. Just curious about this. God bless.

Hebrew 8:11
"None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. 12 "For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more." 13 In that He says, "A new [covenant,"] He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

matt 21:43 "Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it. 44 "And whoever falls on this stone will be broken; but on whomever it falls, it will grind him to powder." 45 Now when the chief priests and Pharisees heard His parables, they perceived that He was speaking of them. 46 But when they sought to lay hands on Him, they feared the multitudes, because they took Him for a prophet.

Jeremiah 23:1 "Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of My pasture!" says the LORD. 2 Therefore thus says the LORD God of Israel against the shepherds who feed My people: "You have scattered My flock, driven them away, and not attended to them. Behold, I will attend to you for the evil of your doings," says the LORD.

Upvote 0
I

In Christ Forever

xenia said:
PS

For one thing, the bible never mentions a 1000yr earthly reign of Christ except in revelations. And why would Christ come back to reinstitute an Old Convenant after destroying the first one in the first century and after sacrificing Himself on the Cross 2000yrs ago:confused:

When the author says what is obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away, does that mean we are still waiting on the OC to vanish away? Was only part of it taken away when God destroyed the temple and sacrifices in the first century? How much of the OC would remain. Just curious about this. God bless.

Hebrew 8:11
"None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. 12 "For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more." 13 In that He says, "A new [covenant,"] He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

It appears Christ came to take the kingdom away from the corrupt sheperds who were leading the Lost Sheep astry. So Christ would come back and give those Priest a second chance and bring the OC back??? That doesn't make sense.

matt 21:43
"Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it. 44 "And whoever falls on this stone will be broken; but on whomever it falls, it will grind him to powder." 45 Now when the chief priests and Pharisees heard His parables, they perceived that He was speaking of them. 46 But when they sought to lay hands on Him, they feared the multitudes, because they took Him for a prophet.

Jeremiah 23:1 "Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of My pasture!" says the LORD. 2 Therefore thus says the LORD God of Israel against the shepherds who feed My people: "You have scattered My flock, driven them away, and not attended to them. Behold, I will attend to you for the evil of your doings," says the LORD.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Pamelaopen said:

Thanks in advance.
Dispenstionists believe that God looks at the world as His household. Salvation was alsways of grace through faith - but what was required of man to show that faith that was changed. For those under the Mosaic Law, those of faith followed the Law with all it's rituals and animal sacrifices. We are in a dispensation of grace in that we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ as a Risen Savior. We receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. The OT Jews did e not, though their prophets had God speak through them.

So it is simply a way of looking at how God dealt with mankind since Genesis. We believe that God revealed His plan of salvtion progressively over the dispensations. We also believe that God is not done with Israel yet based on several scripture, including Romans 11.

You will receive responses from anti-dispensationists but I would advise that you go to the Dispensationism forum and get some responses there. :)
Pm me if you have more questions of my post, okay?

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Pamelaopen said:

Thanks in advance.
One more thing.... the future millennial reign is mentioned in Rev. 20, and is referred to in Isaiah 49-50, 60, and in the end of 65, Zechariah 14, and more. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
I

In Christ Forever

Thanks in advance.
This site has a rather lenghthy article on it, but in essence dispensationalists believe the Isralites, both jew and hebrew Israelites are going to get a second chance with Jesus, building a third temple for the antichrist to sit in, even though Jeremiah appears to tell us that the House of Judah/Levi [the jews] would be in God's anger forever, but not the House of Israel. According to malachi, the jews are still under a curse and they would have to be cleansed of this curse to ever serve in a temple again I think. Both Israel and gentiles believers are one in Jesus as far as I can see. Jesus on the CROSS saved us all in His Blood. God bless.

http://www.graceonlinelibrary.org/full.asp?ID=653

Malachi 2:1 "And now, O priests, this commandment is for you. 2 If you will not hear, And if you will not take [it] to heart, To give glory to My name," Says the LORD of hosts, "I will send a curse upon you, And I will curse your blessings. Yes, I have cursed them already, Because you do not take [it] to heart. 3 "Behold, I will rebuke your descendants And spread dung on your faces, The refuse of your solemn feasts; And [one] will take you away with it.

Jeremiah 17:1 "The sin of Judah [is] written with a pen of iron; With the point of a diamond [it is] engraved On the tablet of their heart, And on the horns of your altars, 2 While their children remember Their altars and their wooden images By the green trees on the high hills. 3 O My mountain in the field, I will give as plunder your wealth, all your treasures, [And] your high places of sin within all your borders.3 O My mountain in the field, I will give as plunder your wealth, all your treasures, [And] your high places of sin within all your borders. 4 And you, even yourself, Shall let go of your heritage which I gave you; And I will cause you to serve your enemies In the land which you do not know; For you have kindled a fire in My anger [which] shall burn forever."

Upvote 0

ChristianMuse

Oct 1, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
✟1,272.00
Faith
Christian
Through time God has made covenants: with all of mankind, to groups, to individuals. Salvation is based on faith in the covenant that was revealed at the time it was made. Dispensation is the time of one particular covenant. There are still more covenants to come that have been prophesied but not enacted. You can break these down, mix and match to get a wide variety of flavours. The main views have been adequately explained above by others... and yet there are still a few to be heard from.

At least that is my perspective.

:)

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
xenia said:
PS

Hi xenia

That is a very astute observation!

You are right, it does not make sense at all that when the animal kingdom experiences the peace that once was theirs in eden, when no animal ate another, when humans did not eat animals, and so the animals will again be restored to the SAFETY they had in eden, that man would continue to slaughter them in sacrifice . . .

When the Jews killed the sacrificial animals they were consumed, usually by eating them . .

If dispensationalism's literal interpretation of this passage is correct, and the peace and safety of Eden is restored (the lion lays down with the lamb and a little child leads them), then shoud not the animal kingdom expect to be safe from human hurt and consumption as well?

If the animal kingdom no longer needs to consume other animals to subsist but be able to live on their original herbifore diet as in Eden, should not we expect that humans would no longer eat meat, but be able to subsist on the plants given to us originally as in Eden?

How will the animals be willing to be led by a little child if that means they will be led to the hurt and slaughter of sacrifice?

Nothing will hurt any more in all of God's Holy Mountain . .
Isa 11:6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
Predators and prey together, the prey now safe from being preyed upon, and a little child, representing humanity, leading them.
Isa 11:7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
Predators will no longer eat other animals, but will return to being herbavoirs as they were in Eden.

Isa 11:8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.
Again, the relationship between man and the animal kingdom, one of saftey.
Isa 11:9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

"THEY" meaning ALL mentioned above . . animals and humans . . WILL NOT HURT NOR DESTROY in ALL God's Holy Mountain!

God's Holy Mountain is where the temple was located . . and where the temple is to be located again according to Dispensationalism . . .

If 'THEY' shall not HURT or DESTROY in all of God's Holy Mountian, how can there be any sacrifice in the Temple which is on God's Holy Mountaing?

Animal sacrifices hurt and destroy! But God says that will not happen (if this verse is to be literally interpreted which obviously then would have a future fulfillment; and according to dispenationalism, this is after Christ has returned to earth.)

How can both be true?

They can't!

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
I

In Christ Forever

AV1611 said:
Or anti-dispensationalist heresay? I know of no-dispensationalist that believes that temple sacrifices will be reinstituted. :)
But dispernsationalists maintain that Jesus is coming back for the jews and in order for future prophecy to be fulfilled, a temple has to be built for an antichrist to sit in and if no temple is built, how can Jesus come back[Note Daniel, Matt 24 and revelation with a temple and worshippers being measured for judgement chapt 11]. Without that 1000yr period in revelation, I wonder how dispensationalism would work then?
So why would God come back for Israel if not to bring back the Old Convenant Law of sacrifices and ordinances instituted by God in the OT which God and Jesus both condemened? Besides, Jesus no one would ever have to go to worship in Jerusalem again.God bless.

Hebrew 8:11 "None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. 12 "For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more." 13 In that He says, "A new [covenant,"] He has made the first obsolete[OC judaism?]. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Comparing this to Hebrew 8, it appears the OC temple and priestly forms of sacrifices/ordinances would be destroyed, with the Jerusalem above being the one True place to worship through the spirit of Christ. Jesus even mentioned to the samaritan woman that Jerusalem would never again be the place to worship God at, for we must worship God in spirit and truth, and that can only mean through the Spirit of Christ that dwells in those that come to the faith that is of Jesus Himself.

hebrew 12:26 whose voice then shook the earth; but now He has promised, saying, "Yet once more I shake not only the earth, but also heaven." 27 Now this, "Yet once more," indicates the removal of those things[OC temple/judaism?] that are being shaken, as of things that are made, that the things which cannot be shaken may remain[NC worshipping in the spirit, Jerusalem above]. 28 Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. 29 For our God [is] a consuming fire.

John 4:20 "Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and you [Jews] say that in Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship." 21 Jesus said to her, "Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22 "You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. 23 "But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him.

gala 4:25 And, the Hagar, is Mount Sinai, in Arabia,--she answereth, however, unto the present Jerusalem, for she is in bondage with her children; 26 But, the Jerusalem above, is free,--the which is mother of us ALL;

1 corin 7:29 But this I say, brethren, the time [is] short, so that from now on even those who have wives should be as though they had none, 30 those who weep as though they did not weep, those who rejoice as though they did not rejoice, those who buy as though they did not possess, 31 and those who use this world as not misusing [it.] For the form of this world is passing away[OC temple and Judaism?].

21 For since by man [came] death, by Man also [came] the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. 23 But each one in his own order:

Christ the firstfruits, [For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet.]

afterward those [who are] Christ's at His coming[for those elect in Christ and sealed by His Holy Spirit?]. 24

Then [comes] the end[passing away of the OC temple/Law?], after which Christ delivers the kingdom to God the Father.

when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. 25 For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet[the rulers and priest of the OC law?]. 26 The last enemy [that] will be destroyed [is] death.

This appears to have been Christ's and Paul's enemies also I believe:

The Sadducees rejected the concept of resurrection, because it was considered of pagan foreign origin. They followed the ancient Jewish beliefs about Sheol as they were before Greek influence modified them. They also did not believe in fate, in demons or in angels. The Sadducees believed that God would reward the righteous and punish the wicked during their lifetime on earth. They were in charge of the Temple and its rituals. They felt that as long as animal sacrifices and other rituals were continued in Jerusalem, that Israel would continue without major disasters. After the Roman army attacked and destroyed the Temple and the rest of Jerusalem in 70 CE, they were bitterly disillusioned.
They ceased to exist as a cohesive group shortly afterwards. By the end of the 1st century CE, they had essentially disappeared.

Upvote 0

Unnamed Servant

Aug 2, 2004
Powell, TN/ Louisville, Ky
✟453.00
Faith
Baptist
If you are looking into dispensationalism, I would urge you to also look into the other views such as covenant theology and new covenant theology, and see which one is most scripturally accurate.

Here are some resources from each, taken from desiringod.org

On covenant theology:

O. Palmer Robertson, Christ of the Covenants
Westminster Confession of Faith, chapter 7
Louis Berkhof, Systematic Theology
Charles Hodge, Systematic Theology
The Covenants: The Structure of Redemption

On dispensationalism:

Craig Blaising and Darrell Bock, Progressive Dispensationalism
Vern Poythress, Understanding Dispensationalists

On new covenant theology:

Sound of Grace
What is New Covenant Theology?
Sola Gratia's New Covenant Theology Page
John Reisenger, Abraham's Four Seeds
Tom Wells and Fred Zaspel, New Covenant Theology: Description, Definition, Defense

On a biblical theology of the Mosaic Law:

Tom Schreiner, The Law and Its Fulfillment
Frank Thielman, Paul & the Law
Wayne Strickland, ed., Five Views on Law and Gospel

Love-In-Christ,

Unnamed Servant

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
AV1611 said:
Or anti-dispensationalist heresay? I know of no-dispensationalist that believes that temple sacrifices will be reinstituted. :)
????

I don't think you are using the term heresy correctly here (for then it would have to be commonly accepted that dispensationalism is orthodox, and this is not the case) but nevertheless, I am not sure where you are coming from on this . . . this was discussed not all that long ago among dispensationalists in another forum here at CF which you praticpate in. The discussion, in part, revolved around the the purpose of the reinstitution of the temple sacrifices . . . whether they would be for forgiveness of sins or simply a memorial like the communion is for Christians . . . . but then again, not all dispesnationalists agree that communion is for christians . . .

From a chart comparing different end times beleifs:

Under Dispensationalism:
The millennium is future. Righteousness will prevail. The O.T. Jewish economy will be restored. Temple worship, priestly order and animal sacrifices will be restored.

http://www.reformedreader.org/mchart.htm

Here is a dispesnationalist answer to the question of why sacrifices in the millenium:
A: You certainly are not the only one wondering about these sacrifices. I just came across a summary of an article by Charles C. Ryrie from "Emmaus Journal 11" (winter 2002) called "Why Sacrifices in the Millennium?" It deals with the same problem of explaining the purpose of sacrifices inEzekiel 40-46 where the text clearly refers to the millennial temple.Ryrie gives three reasons . . . .

1. To provide temporal forgiveness for the sins of those living in the kingdom. . . . . . .

2. To point to the Saviour. . . . . ..

3. To provide an opportunity for obedience to the kingdom saints in
order to bear fruit and give evidence of their faith. . . . .

http://www.learnthebible.org/q_a_millennium_sacrifices.htm

Av .. I really don't understand your comment . .. dispensationalism is full of discussion on this topic.. .

I can point to at least one major dispenationalist who believed this .. Charles Ryrie as above . .

Peace to all!

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
Leimeng said:
~ Much of Dispensationalism is a false teaching in the same way that calvinism, arminianism and pelegarianism are.
~ The Bible clearly states that God is not a God of Changes, and that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. The plan of redemption from Eden was though Jesus Christ. To say that people are saved by different means at different points in history is to call Jesus liar as well as discount the contents of the Bible.
~ Will believing in Dispensationalism affect YOUR salvation? Probably not, but why be believe it at all?
~ Continue to discuss amongst yourselves.

Peace,

Leimeng

Flatulo Ergo Sum ~~

Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.

Good effort, most of what you say is right. Although I think it may affect a person's salvation

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.