Defcon

------ Dr. Greg Bahnsen
Sep 14, 2005
✟17,065.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Curious to know how you all view George Barna and his ideas on church growth. My PCA church attempted to watch an old seminar concerning church growth but it was abandoned pretty quickly. The contradictions seemed to role from beginning to end .

For instance, he presented a study that something like 60% of the Americans were "unchurched" (defined as "not being involved with a church for 6 months or longer). He then said beyond that number rougly 50% of the churched aren't saved. Then he gave solutions on how to reach the unchurched (i.e. targeting an age group, lifestyle, etc. to meet a specific need). Yet the solution itself solves nothing because half the churched aren't saved! So we have ineffective churches and the solution to evangelism is to get the unchurched into these churches ? Not to mention all the theological implications of targeting only certain folks! (sorry, a little ranting there. :sorry:.)

I heard recently that the PCA looks to him for guidance on church growth. Do you all have any opinions or insights concerning Mr. Barna?

Sep 10, 2005
SE
✟24,268.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I know that back in the late '80s our PCA church used a lot of Barna's ideas. Not sure that it was terribly successful. I love the way our church here (different city, PCA still) has operated. We basically build relationships with people we know/meet and invite them to church. None of the "church growth movement" stuff.

CC&E

Upvote 0