Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I attend a Christian school over in Sydney, Australia.
In recent weeks, I've discovered quite a few homosexuals (which indeed surprises me for the nature of the school I attend), with one friend being gay himself.

I've felt their overly progressive values are attempting to pull me away from God. I'm a relatively conservative Christian, for those that do not know.
I've tried praying, but nothing is working as of yet.

What can I do to resolve this? As the majority of my year group is quite progressive, I don't want to call them out for being gay or tell them they deserve death as God himself requires, as I'll be labelled a homophobe and lose all of my reputation, a typical thing the left does to silence opposition.

If this is posted in the wrong thread, I apologise, and please relocate it.

• Prayers
Reactions: fat wee robin

Mrs.PGL

Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2015
windsor ontario
✟69,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In recent weeks, I've discovered quite a few homosexuals (which indeed surprises me for the nature of the school I attend), with one friend being gay himself.

I've felt their overly progressive values are attempting to pull me away from God. I'm a relatively conservative Christian, for those that do not know.

What can I do to resolve this? As the majority of my year group is quite progressive, I don't want to call them out for being gay or tell them they deserve death as God himself requires, as I'll be labelled a homophobe and lose all of my reputation, a typical thing the left does to silence opposition.

Romans 132Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them."
I think that's worse than reminding someone that Jesus loves them enough to tell them the truth so they can be in His blessings.
Someone attending a Christian school does not make them a Christian. Homosexuals are not Christian, as the Lord would not send a Christian to Hell for their behaviour. Christ condemned homosexuality from Genesis to the Book of Revelation.
I think it's better to be on Christ's side, than satan's.
Start a conversation. Ask them how they reconcile what they are doing with:
Revelation 21:8 ESV

But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Revelation 22: 14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. 15 But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.

Homosexuality is also idolatry.

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship

First, What do you mean by "What can I do to resolve this"?
Secondly, let me tell you a story: When I was in high school, I very conservative and like you did not want to associate with gay people in any way. Anyway, my speech teacher was gay, and this did not set well with me at all. In fact, I went to my school counselor and asked to change classes to another speech teacher. She obviously told him of my request, and one day during a slow day in class he pulled me aside privately to discuss it. He told me that while he understood where I was coming from, wasn't happy to receive the news; however he was not going to force me to stay or leave, but that I couldn't stay in my Christian bubble forever. In other words, I could face reality and learn to interact with gay people or stay in my comfortable bubble. I stayed in his class, and I have no doubt in my mind that was the right choice because it's caused me to be blessed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tim hopkins

Feb 24, 2016
mexico, mo
✟15,701.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Well, one suggestion is not to try praying but to pray. First ask the Lord to guide you into all truth and to use wisdom when speaking to your peers. Don't call your peers out for being gay, they know they are gay. You live the Love of God and be pure. Love your peers by treating them like you would want to be treated. Don't preach to them, live the love of God. It sounds like your're struggling in your walk with God. So I suggest if you are a reader, to repeatedly read the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. If you are a listener, purchase these books on audible.com, Spotify, Apple Music, etc. Listen to the word everyday and faith will come. The Holy Spirit will show you how to remain in God and not to compromise.
www.mexicowordoflifeministries.com

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Why do you think you need to do anything about it at all? If they're gay, they're gay. If that bothers you, avoid them like you would anyone else you have issues with. Having you make a big deal about it won't change them, and will only end up making life unnecessarily hard for both them AND you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

What a mature post. You seem to have a really good grasp of your situation already.
I would advise be very careful what you say. Better actually to avoid the topic in a group. Only in strict confidence when you get to know someone on a deeper personal level. Your survival is important in the school, so better to focus on study and sports and other interests.
Because bullying and harassment can be so destructive and distracting, especially in a school environment, I think you need to keep your distance on the subject. But keep in touch with your own private thoughts. maybe journal or go on forums like this to keep you in touch with "the truth" which I think you are closer to, than your progressive friends. If you have to debate the topic, remember you "condemn the sin, not the sinner". Good luck.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is possible the parents have made them go to your school. The parents may not know they are gay, also. Or they are trying to use the school to change them. But you can let each one speak for oneself, about why he or she is there. You might have a very interesting adventure in discovering how people can be unique in their ways and reasons and background, not with one explanation which fits all :)

I've felt their overly progressive values are attempting to pull me away from God.
Well, if you can tell that their ways are not right, be thankful that you know this. And trust God to have you doing what is good. You can win by example :)

Like I say, each person can be different. It is possible that not all people are into that conformity pressure thing. But ones into it can make a big scene so they seem to speak for everyone. So, let each person speak for oneself??

:)

And there are other things which are worthy of death . . . by the way.

And Jesus cares about what is in our hearts. So, if someone in one's heart prefers what is wrong, this is wrong . . . even if the person does not act on one's wrong preferences.

And only God is able to change our nature so we desire what pleases Him. So, we ourselves need however our Father corrects us; we need to seek our Heavenly Father for how He personally corrects each of us > Hebrews 12:4-11.

Make sure you get wise to what your own problems are, then. And then you can tell people about how you yourself need correction :)

The Bible gives us good things about what is right loving, and what is the wrong way to love. Pay prayerful attention to things the Bible says about real loving; you probably will discover that you yourself have plenty to deal with, which needs correction :) You will have enough to do, and as you grow and learn how to love, your example can help others.

For example, Jesus says, "if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" in Matthew 5:46. Wrong people can have a way of loving only or mainly those who love them and agree with them and who they can use for the pleasures they want. This can be part of how gay stuff is wrong > how ones can mainly associate with and love those they can use for what they prefer. So, this would be anti-love.

A lot of wrong things are about the pleasure. And so, if there were no pleasure in gay stuff, would they be doing it? Possibly, then, the real preference is pleasure more than God. But plenty of non-gay people value their treasure pleasures more than they value personally submitting to God and obeying how He rules us in His peace (Colossians 3:15).

There are people who value criticizing gays, more than they give themselves to submitting to God and sharing with God in His love (1 Corinthians 6:17, Romans 5:5, 1 John 4:17). This is self-righteous!!

We Christians also can have our way of staying mainly with and loving only those who have our preferences, can't we?

So . . . you can learn how the Bible says to love, then you can talk with people about how real loving is. There is plenty in the Bible to help you with this :) It is not enough for wrong people to know that what they are doing is wrong; they need to find out what is right, so they don't just go into another way of pleasure seeking and using people.

Love does not have us just using any person; God's love is all-loving.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Romans 132Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them."
I think that's worse than reminding someone that Jesus loves them enough to tell them the truth so they can be in His blessings.
Someone attending a Christian school does not make them a Christian. Homosexuals are not Christian, as the Lord would not send a Christian to Hell for their behaviour. Christ condemned homosexuality from Genesis to the Book of Revelation.
I think it's better to be on Christ's side, than satan's.
Start a conversation. Ask them how they reconcile what they are doing with:
Revelation 21:8 ESV

But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Revelation 22: 14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. 15 But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.

Homosexuality is also idolatry.

Key phrase there being "sexually immoral". Homosexual attraction is something you can't consciously control. Think about when you had your first crush on someone—did you say "I choose to have a crush on that person", or did you just start feeling that "blushing, butterflies in your stomach" kind of feeling that you get with crushes? It's the latter, it's biology. For instance, I tend to not have crushes on guys with beards or mustaches (unless they're small kind of beards like Benedict Cumberbatch playing Dr. Strange), so someone couldn't point to a guy with a long beard and super-hairy mustache and say to me "try to force yourself to crush on that guy". Well, they could say that, but it's not something I could consciously force myself to do.

Sexual acts you can definitely control. Sexual attraction you cannot.

And "Homosexuality is also idolatry"? What? How does that make any sense?

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Homosexual acts are what are "worthy of death" in the Bible. Nothing is ever said about attraction. Also apparently wearing mixed fabrics, eating shellfish, or picking up sticks on the Sabbath are also "worthy of death" things according to the Bible, and no one has a problem with those.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
My thoughts are to be polite to your gay classmates. However, don't condone the idea of homosexual practice or gay marriage. Be on guard against a weakening of your beliefs. It's okay to be in the minority.

Sadly, along with embracing universalism, affirming homosexuality is a major problem in the church. This is a book that I'm now reading, which exhaustively defends the traditional teaching of the church. Use some of the arguments from this book if an opportunity for discussion with your classmates presents itself.

Reactions: FoundInGrace
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My thoughts are to be polite to your gay classmates. However, don't condone the idea of homosexual practice or gay marriage. Be on guard against a weakening of your beliefs. It's okay to be in the minority.

Sadly, along with embracing universalism, affirming homosexuality is a major problem in the church. This is a book that I'm now reading, which exhaustively defends the traditional teaching of the church. Use some of the arguments from this book if an opportunity for discussion with your classmates presents itself.

Note that in the Bible homosexual sex was considered to be wrong. Nothing is said about attraction. You can't control who you're attracted to anyway.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Note that in the Bible homosexual sex was considered to be wrong. Nothing is said about attraction. You can't control who you're attracted to anyway.
I agree. This difference though is getting lost in so many churches. Younger people especially are under pressure to conform with the Modern Family model, or risk being ostracized.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
OP, your profile says you're 19. I'm assuming then, that you're in year 12, and next year will be out in the world, at university or TAFE, or doing an apprenticeship, or taking up work of some sort.

None of those environments are sheltered. You are going to need to learn to get along with people with whom you disagree about every imaginable thing, being polite, respectful and appropriate. In a way, you've been given an opportunity to have a head start on learning how to do that, in a relatively friendly environment for you. I'd make the most of it.

(I say that as someone who struggled in my first year out of school because I had been so very very sheltered that I was not at all prepared for the normal range of opinions and views I would encounter; it was not easy to go straight into the deep end. Your experience might be easier).

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
You think you are uncomfortable now? It's only going to get worse when you get out of school.

Lots of us are OK with both being Christian and knowing openly gay people. Have faith that God is going to help you sort it out. Being confused at times is part of growing up. Part of it is learning the world is a morally complex place and often its ambiguous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You think you are uncomfortable now? It's only going to get worse when you get out of school.

Lots of us are OK with both being Christian and knowing openly gay people. Have faith that God is going to help you sort it out. Being confused at times is part of growing up. Part of it is learning the world is a morally complex place and often its ambiguous.
Knowing openly gay people isn't the issue though. Faith in God should lead to an ability disambiguate moral truth from error.

Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv
May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't want to call them out for being gay or tell them they deserve death as God himself requires
Gay people deserve death? Really? This is an absolutely disturbing and egregiously grotesque claim. Even if one is going to defend the levitical claims, which is hard to do considering that they were clearly descriptive of socio-religious culture of the time and not prescriptive for us today, many scholars point out that those penalties were almost never actually carried out.

Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv
May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
What can I do to resolve this?
Speaking as a gay Christian, lay congregational leader, and seminarian who is partnered in a civil union, I would recommend being polite, respectful, and considerate of others. Jesus said "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Afford that courtesy and respect to others, and also expect that people are polite and respectful to you. There is no reason for Christians not to be able to have and live in good disagreement while seeking one another's mutual flourishing. We don't have to agree on everything, but we do have to be loving and respectful.

In my ministry context, I pray with and work with people who do not necessarily share my views. Christian congregations, regardless of denomination, have a multitude of opinions and there is a spectrum of acceptance regarding this issue. Part of healthily living with this tension is respecting my peers or colleagues who share views diametrically opposed to my own and mine to theirs. I pray with them and they pray with me. God loves us all in the end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I understand your situation. Holding to biblical views is more unpopular now than ever, but it's really is nothing new that those who do are the minority.

There is a great apostasy in the Church, and while freedom from such perversions as homosexuality in a Christian school should be a given, unfortunately, you now know differently. Homosexuality and many other vile sins have been normalized by culture and even those within the church; however, Christians don't take their lead from culture, and just because a person refers to himself as a Christian doesn't mean he is.

Don't let those who oppose God's clear prohibition against sins such as homosexuality sway you. They will one day be justly punished.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

You are wrong in this... Jesus said that if a man so much as looks at a woman to lust over her then he has already commited adultry with her in his heart... So even if a man looks at another man to lust over him he has already commited an abomination before God.. We are all sinners and thus we all sin in what we have done in what we have failed to do and in our thoughts....

But salvation is assured through the Atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ for all sin.. Both acted out sins and sins of our thoughts.. The important thing is never to try and justify our sins... In saying that we cannot control our thoughts it seem <- Note i said seems,,, that you do not see sinfull thoughts as being sins?

This is where many people fall down, Because they are not aknowledging these sins and thus are not believing in the teachings of the LORD Jesus Christ.. Remember believing the Words of Jesus is believing Jesus.. Once we start to disregard some of the teachings of Jesus then we are creating another made up jesus who is not the true Word of God, the Jesus of the Gospels..

All we need do to be saved is believe Jesus and aknowledge that all His words are Spirit and they are life and we shall be forgiven all our sins.. But once we no longer aknowledge a sin as such then we are no longer depending on the Atonement of Jesus for that sin and thus we cannot expect to have those sins covered by His presious Atoning Blood..

John 6:KJV

63 "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."

Upvote 0