• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

disability

amishparadise

Jan 1, 2007
✟8,088.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I finally got up the nerve to try to apply for disability again. (I have had severe OCD all my life, and it has recently gotten too bad to spend much time around the public at all.) I am not sure how I feel about this. Might be nice not to be broke and in danger of having no healthcare; but I feel like it's giving up. I don't know. They'll probably just deny me again. In the meantime, I wait. :help:

Onlythingavailable

Senior Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
✟274,478.00
Faith
Christian
OCD might not be as well known as physical ailments, but that doesn't make it any less real. It hinders you from supporting yourself, just as any other disability, so I don't think applying for disability is giving up at all. Giving up would be not fighting the OCD, and just accepting it.

I suffer from OCD too, not to the same severity, but enough to understand what you are going through. I'll pray for you.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Instead of seeing the darkside of being on disability, look at this as an opportunity to serve the Lord. Seek studying the Bible and ask the Lord to help you find a way to use your spiritual gifts, and ask for Him to help you overcome your symptoms enough to do that.

Good luck with the latest application.

Trish

Upvote 0

amishparadise

Jan 1, 2007
✟8,088.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really don't want to do it, though. I would only do it because it seems to be the only way you can get any help at all from private charities (Kennedy Ctr., Goodwill Industries, many others). If you ask me, that's kinda messed up, but, that's how it goes, I guess.

But, I think I've pretty much run out of other options. I can't keep burdening my loved ones forever. And I can't get any kind of work that I can tolerate, and can't afford to do so much as dream of going back to school for anything better. There's no possible way I could hold down any more work at any more bottom-of-the-barrel low-wage jobs in high-stress environments. I have been trying that, and failing every time, for nearly a decade. I'm truly at the end of the line with employment.

Disability is depressing, though, and conflicts with my political beliefs as a Libertarian. I don't want to get into much detail, here, because I'm sure I'll accidentally offend somebody- so, I'll just leave it at that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rushingwind62

Debi1967 is the love of my life!!!!
Sep 24, 2005
Green Valley, IL.
✟10,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just remember that hardly no one gets disability the first or even second try. It usually takes a couple years and a third go around. You my try talking to a disability lawyer and see if they will represent you. It cost you nothing unless you get Social Security. Just a though for you....God Bless!!

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If you are interested in school, you can apply for financial aid. If you live in the US, go online and file a FAFSA. Then, contact a school you are interested in and inquire about financial aid. The less money you have, the better your chances of getting aid.

God bless.
Trish

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have you considered or looked into vocational rehabilitation? I had a friend who had anxiety, her husband left her and she had to become the sole provider for her and her children. Because of her situation, they interviewed her, put her through some tests and paid for her classes to gain the skills to do a job that she could handle with her limitations. If voc rehab say that you don't qualify because your disability is too severe, that is generally something that you can tell the disability people to add to your case.

Unless your parents are still claiming you on their taxes, or you've already gotten a bachelor's degree, it's likely you would qualify for financial aid and sometimes that will pay for most or all of the cost of a community or state college.

What rushingwind said is true.. many people are denied a couple times. Sometimes an attorney is necessary. They can help secure the records that show a person is disabled and they tend to know what the disability judge is looking for on appeal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums