San Antonio, Texas
✟15,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Several believers and non-believers have questioned the validity of the Bible because there is no reference to Dinosaurs. I'd like to run a theory past someone that in that group by asking you to answer a few questions. So I'll start with the most obvious, Do you believe in God but have a problem with the Bible because it has no reference to Dinosaurs?

Nu

General Mung Beans

Resident Conservative Christian
Aug 25, 2009
Anaheim, CA
✟8,496.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That is a ridiculous argument against the validity of the Bible. The Bible doesn't mention American Indians either. The Bible wasn't meant to be a biology textbook thus not mentioning the dinosaurs is unsurprising.

Upvote 0

NuRelic

WOF Game Show host
Mar 23, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
✟15,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
That is a ridiculous argument against the validity of the Bible. The Bible doesn't mention American Indians either. The Bible wasn't meant to be a biology textbook thus not mentioning the dinosaurs is unsurprising.

I'm not making an argument against the validity of the Bible, just the opposite.

You can force the Bible to have references to dinosaurs, if you want to, by quoting Job 40:15+16 and Job 41:1-3............

Many, many people do............

Don't need to force the Bible to do anything. There's a better way to explain it the is seemingly always overlooked. But it's my thread, my rules.
I'm still looking for someone who to answer my original question - Do you believe in God but have a problem with the Bible because it has no reference to Dinosaurs?

Nu

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm still looking for someone who to answer my original question - Do you believe in God but have a problem with the Bible because it has no reference to Dinosaurs?

I think General Mung did answer your question, and Tim did in a way as well. Both have good points.

First, as Tim points out, there are verses that could be taken as a reference to dinosuars. If so, then your question is irrelevant. At the same time, one must be careful not to read one's desires into scripture. (I know that wasn't quite Tim's point. I put my own spin on it. But there it is.)

That's where the General's comment comes into play. Suppose those aforesaid verses don't refer to dinosaurs. So what? It doesn't mean anything about the validity of scripture. So, the answer to your question would be: no.

Why did you ask the question?

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Nu,

The bible doesn't mention elephants either. It doesn't mention porpoises or turtles or probably some several thousand other animal creatures. It does however mention the leviathan and some animal with a tail like a cedar which has strength beyond any man. What animal might that be?

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

NuRelic

WOF Game Show host
Mar 23, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
✟15,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Okay ... clarification. This is largely me fault because it appears I didn't make my opening statement clear. I have NO PROBLEM with the Bible not mentioning Dinosaurs. Moreover, I have had conversations with fellow Christians and Athiest alike that question the validity of the Bible because the Bible omits any reference to Dinosaurs. I think that holding that kind of position is a little childish (for my own personal reasons) but I was not adaquetly able to answer their questions at the time so I came up with my own theory.

It is that theory I wanted to discuss with someone here whi has a problem with the Bible notmentioning Dinosaurs. If you reread my opening post with that in mind I think you see that. The reason I don't just type it out here is because I want the debate to see what and how the person(s) who replies to certain questions and answer I give in response to their own.

My appologies if I upset someone if the thread came across the wrong way.

Nu

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The Bible isn't meant to be the all inclusive book on all things that are or have been. It is meant to teach us something of God, of ourselves, our fall and how we can be reconciled to God. God could have included the science behind creation in the Bible instead of wording it like He did but to what point as it is likely far beyond even the greatest scientists to understand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I didn't get the impression that anyone was upset. I'm not either. You have to realize that since the Internet only uses the written word, you're missing the body language that would tell you people's mood as they reply. That's the reason for those (very annoying - yes, I despise them) emoticons.

So, you may not get the exact person you were hoping to debate, but I'm still curious to here your idea. Just be prepared for people to disagree.

Upvote 0

NuRelic

WOF Game Show host
Mar 23, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
✟15,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
The Bible isn't meant to be the all inclusive book on all things that are or have been. It is meant to teach us something of God, of ourselves, our fall and how we can be reconciled to God. God could have included the science behind creation in the Bible instead of wording it like He did but to what point as it is likely far beyond even the greatest scientists to understand.

Agreed ... and your missing my point. Read my previous post please.

Nu

I didn't get the impression that anyone was upset. I'm not either. You have to realize that since the Internet only uses the written word, you're missing the body language that would tell you people's mood as they reply. That's the reason for those (very annoying - yes, I despise them) emoticons.

So, you may not get the exact person you were hoping to debate, but I'm still curious to here your idea. Just be prepared for people to disagree.

I didn't figure anyone was "mad", but I wanted to quell any motion towards angering anyone as soon as possible since I want to make it clear that is not my intent.

As far as the theory (or idea) I will lay it out here in a few days or so, whether the someone(s) I'm looking for post in here or not. Thanks for being curious, I think it's fairly basic as well as a logical and straight forward answer to that particular question. I guess we'll see.

Nu

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dustinthewind

Alive in Christ
Feb 3, 2011
at sea
✟15,349.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would like to play this out as if we're having a conversation if you don't mind so that I can explain myself as I go. But I'll start with a seemingly simple question, how long is a day?

Nu

I feel like this is somehow a trick question, but I'm gonna go with the obvious "24 hours".

Upvote 0

dustinthewind

Alive in Christ
Feb 3, 2011
at sea
✟15,349.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Okay 24 hours equals one day, the time it takes the Earth to rotate on its axis one time. Second question, how long is a day on Jupiter or Saturn or the moon? (There is a point to this, please trust me).

Nu

Had to google this...

Jupiter day = 9.9 hours
Saturn day = 10-11 hours
Moon day = 27 days 7 hours 43.2 minutes (earth time)

Upvote 0

mmmtacos

Apr 3, 2011
✟15,180.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
OK Ill chime in.

Your question, "How long is a day?", really depends on what you mean. Literally it would be about 24 hours for one day on earth.

But..............

My Granddad used to say something like, "...Back in my day..." meaning and era of an un-designated length of time.

Then.........................

You have the "Day of the Lord" that doesn't mean a 24 hour period either......

Daniel's weeks refer to 7s of years.........

So there is all sorts of meanings for the terms we use to mark time.

You really need to provide some context to define what you are driving at. (I think a debate about the age of the earth is coming though:))

Upvote 0