Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Another question I have concerning the Orthodox Church (that may be answered in some of the reading suggestions that have been previously offered and that I am slowly working through) concerns the various types of Orthodox churches and how they relate to each other?

For instance, I see Greek Orthodox, Syrian Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, the Orthodox Church in America, etc. What is the relationship between these administratively, theologically, etc.? Are all Orthodox "denominations" (for having a lack of a better term, though I gather this is not an accurate one) essentially the same?

Thank you for your patience with my ignorance and for any responses.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
everyone in this communion is Orthodox:

Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the United States of America

so the Orientals (Copts, Armenians, etc) and the Old Calandarists (Genuine True Church of Greece, etc.) while calling themselves Orthodox are not.

so Russians, OCA, Greeks, etc are all in the same communion and express the same faith. it is just local flavor and nuance that makes the distinction.

Upvote 0

WadeTheophan

Falling and getting up to fall again
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Houston Texas
✟89,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

so the Orientals (Copts, Armenians, etc) and the Old Calandarists (Genuine True Church of Greece, etc.) while calling themselves Orthodox are not.

so Russians, OCA, Greeks, etc are all in the same communion and express the same faith. it is just local flavor and nuance that makes the distinction.
Well said Matt! I know it's a horrible analogy, please forgive me, but I've always thought of the different elements of the Church as being kind of like Bar B Q. You will find different sauces in different places but it's all wonderful. Again,sorry, I'm from Texas. I've attended liturgy in 4 different types of Orthodox churches- Antiochian, Greek, OCA and Serbian. All were different but there is absolutely no hint of division. Definitely one Family.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well said Matt! I know it's a horrible analogy, please forgive me, but I've always thought of the different elements of the Church as being kind of like Bar B Q. You will find different sauces in different places but it's all wonderful. Again,sorry, I'm from Texas. I've attended liturgy in 4 different types of Orthodox churches- Antiochian, Greek, OCA and Serbian. All were different but there is absolutely no hint of division. Definitely one Family.

that's a good analogy, my point was only that there are some called Orthodox who aren't.

Upvote 0

WadeTheophan

Falling and getting up to fall again
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Houston Texas
✟89,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
that's a good analogy, my point was only that there are some called Orthodox who aren't.
I wasn't disputing your point just adding my perspective my friend. It has always made me so very sad that most of our Protestant family,where I spent most of my life, can smell the bread in the oven and want it but very few are able to taste it (Him). I know it's off topic.

• Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't disputing your point just adding my perspective my friend. It has always made me so very sad that most of our Protestant family,where I spent most of my life, can smell the bread in the oven and want it but very few are able to taste it (Him). I know it's off topic.

I gotcha, and you are pretty spot on.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Thank you both for your replies. They are quite helpful.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Eastern Orthodox - North American groups:
-Greeks
-Russians
-Arabs (Antiochian)
-Romanians
-Bulgarians
-Serbs
-The OCA
-Carpatho-Rusyns

Oriental Orthodox:
-Copts
-Armenians
-Ethiopians
-Syriac Orthodox Church (based in Syria; Syriac is the official English usage to avoid confusion with the Syrian government and it's been like this since the 1970s or so)
-Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (from southwest India)

Now, the biggest differences among the Eastern Orthodox will typically be that of food, people's names, and their main saints; i.e. cultural things. Eastern Orthodox have the same Liturgy across the board but with minute differences, like delivering the homily after the Gospel Reading vs. doing so at the end of Liturgy. The candle holder stands here instead of over there, etc.

The Oriental Orthodox are more like a confederation. Each of their Churches have their own cultural things, but they also have their own Liturgies.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
-Greeks
-Russians
-Arabs (Antiochian)
-Romanians
-Bulgarians
-Serbs
-The OCA
-Carpatho-Rusyns

Oriental Orthodox:
-Copts
-Armenians
-Ethiopians
-Syriac Orthodox Church (based in Syria; Syriac is the official English usage to avoid confusion with the Syrian government and it's been like this since the 1970s or so)
-Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (from southwest India)

Now, the biggest differences among the Eastern Orthodox will typically be that of food, people's names, and their main saints; i.e. cultural things. Eastern Orthodox have the same Liturgy across the board but with minute differences, like delivering the homily after the Gospel Reading vs. doing so at the end of Liturgy. The candle holder stands here instead of over there, etc.

The Oriental Orthodox are more like a confederation. Each of their Churches have their own cultural things, but they also have their own Liturgies.
Thank you. That was helpful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
-Greeks
-Russians
-Arabs (Antiochian)
-Romanians
-Bulgarians
-Serbs
-The OCA
-Carpatho-Rusyns

don't forget the Albanians, Georgians, and the Ukrainians

• Informative
Reactions: Via Cassian
Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe it's not fair to ask this, but how do the Copts differ from the Orthodox? I thought they weren't orthodox and that they had different ideas about key (to all of us, speaking as a Protestant) topics but an acquaintance says they do not

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Christie,
Copts are non-Chalcedonian christians. They reject the Chalcedonian definition of faith (EO, RC and Protestants all accept Chalcedon). Christologically they teach there is only one nature of the Word of God incarnate after the hypostastic union.

Copts do not believe there ican be any noticeable discernment between human actions and divine actions of Christ. While they acknowledge Christ is Human and Divine, there can be no categorizing of his actions between a human side or a divine side, as nature is an abstract thing, while He who acts and wills is the single divine Person of Jesus, not a notional conglomerate of natures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe it's not fair to ask this, but how do the Copts differ from the Orthodox? I thought they weren't orthodox and that they had different ideas about key (to all of us, speaking as a Protestant) topics but an acquaintance says they do not

they are very close to us, but as buzuxi said, they reject Chalcedon and the subsequent Councils, and they believe certain condemned heretics (from our POV) are saints.

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks for your replies, buzudxi and Army Matt. So - - at Gethsemane, when Jesus prayed, "Father, if it be thy will, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless, not my will but Thine be done" (quoted from loose memory) is this an example of the dual nature of Christ? Dualities make me wonder. Wasn't the Hebrew mindset at the time of the Incarnation more holistic while the Greeks tended to divide these things up? . I hope I sound polite and curious because my implicit belief must be Calcedonian, and if I am a heretic, I am an ignorant one.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your replies, buzudxi and Army Matt. So - - at Gethsemane, when Jesus prayed, "Father, if it be thy will, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless, not my will but Thine be done" (quoted from loose memory) is this an example of the dual nature of Christ? Dualities make me wonder. Wasn't the Hebrew mindset at the time of the Incarnation more holistic while the Greeks tended to divide these things up? . I hope I sound polite and curious because my implicit belief must be Calcedonian, and if I am a heretic, I am an ignorant one.

you are good, and that verse actually shows the Chalcedonian understanding. the single Christ has two Wills that work in perfect harmony. you see the balance of the duality of nature and the singleness of Christ

Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0