Flower Mound, Tx (DFW)
✟2,553.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have been researching alternatives to my current, war-torn denomination, and I feel that the Catholic Church is the right one. However, when I went to look for local parishes to visit, I found not only regular and induits (along with a sspx chapel), but also Maronite and Ukrainian Catholic, and I have heard of other catholic rites on the internet. What are the differences between rites? Is one better or more true than the other?
Thanks a lot for answering!

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to OBOB:wave:

None of the actual Catholic Rites are better than another. However, SSPX is a schismatic group, so steer clear of them.
The Eastern Rites (Melkite, Byzantine, Ukranian,etc) allow married men to become priests, but they do not allow those single men already ordained to marry. Their spirituality is more Eastern, but there is no difference in beliefs.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Carly said:
The Eastern Rites (Melkite, Byzantine, Ukranian,etc) allow married men to become priests, but they do not allow those single men already ordained to marry. Their spirituality is more Eastern, but there is no difference in beliefs.
The Eastern rites do allow married men to become priests, but even within that there are some differences. For example, some of the Eastern rites in the US do not allow their priests to marry as a matter of alignment with Rome.

Also, while there is no difference in beliefs (all are fully Catholic), there are differences in theology ... how an individual rite might go about explaining the Faith. For example, the Eastern rites tend to be content leaving more things a mystery, while the West wants explanations and distinctions. The East will draw lines earlier about what theological questions they will or will not ask.

The Holy Father has encouraged the Eastern rites to keep their cultures and practices. I just returned from my friend (a Chaldean)'s priestly ordination. Their liturgies are in Chaldean or Arabic and look different from Latin rite Masses. They have different customs, and different points of emphasis, but in keeping faithful to Rome, they must do this ... and we Latin riters should encourage them.

So to answer your question, Eastern rite Catholics are Catholics. No one rite is better than the other, and all are in communion with Rome.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.