Differences between “Artos” and “antidoron”?

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was at a Greek Orthodox Divine Liturgy again this morning, and at it there were both artos and antidoron. Both seemed to be blessed bread. Can someone please explain the significance of each and the difference between them?

Thanks again to any who take the time to answer what must seem very basic questions (especially since I have so many).

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I was at a Greek Orthodox Divine Liturgy again this morning, and at it there were both artos and antidoron. Both seemed to be blessed bread. Can someone please explain the significance of each and the difference between them?

Thanks again to any who take the time to answer what must seem very basic questions (especially since I have so many).

Artos is just "bread" in Greek. Antidoron is bread which is blessed but not consecrated. I guess you could say that antidoron are pieces of artos :)

• Informative
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for the reply.That is helpful.

In the preparation for the Divine Liturgy, a cube is cut from the center of a "prosphora" loaf which is called "the Lamb". It is this Lamb which is consecrated for Holy Communion. The remainder of the "prosphora" is cut up for the antidoron, the blessed bread which is distributed at the end of the Liturgy. There are usually 5 of these Prosphoron, where small pieces are taken from each one to commemorate Mary, The angels and Saints, the living and the dead.

• Informative
Reactions: Via Cassian
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the preparation for the Divine Liturgy, a cube is cut from the center of a "prosphora" loaf which is called "the Lamb". It is this Lamb which is consecrated for Holy Communion. The remainder of the "prosphora" is cut up for the antidoron, the blessed bread which is distributed at the end of the Liturgy. There are usually 5 of these Prosphoron, where small pieces are taken from each one to commemorate Mary, The angels and Saints, the living and the dead.
Thank you for the further explanation. I have so much to learn, and am grateful for the assistance.

Upvote 0