Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've had a foot in both denominations as well.

Contrary to opinions, both Baptists and Methodists draw from Calvin. Arminius (for which Arminianism itself is named) was originally a Calvinist, just with some disagreements. Wesley came along with another flavor heavily influenced by Moravian (think Anabaptist, pietist) thought, but still traced many aspects back to Arminius. There are some commonalities, but these are influenced by other forces as well.

The Cliff Notes version is that Baptists believe in submersion and Methodists believe in sprinkling primarily as a child baptism. (There are exceptions to this, I is one.) Methodists have a more traditional view of communion/Lord's supper whereas Baptists are total memorialists. Methodists have a loose episcopacy with some congregational tendencies and Baptists are ultimately congregational.

I would say that with Methodists, there were two strands: one that was a closer cousin to higher church Anglicanism (which Wesley himself came from) and then a pietist low church revival strand. The latter heated up in America for the early years and gave Methodists a lot of spirit that would see them transform to the largest denomination. The former eventually won out and brought Methodism itself more to the middle and closer to other mainline traditions with a more liturgical focus. You really get a unique blend in Methodism between elements of a more conservative style theology and the robust side of the social gospel (eg: actually outreaching to serve others).

It's almost a best of both worlds thing.

Baptists have their own trends, it's less about low versus high church as it focused around Arminianism vs Calvinism. It's probably safe to say that most Baptists are heavily influenced by Calvinism in their soteriology (how people are saved). With that said, there are a number of Arminians in the ranks, particularly as previously mentioned in certain Baptist denominations. I think key to understanding Baptists is that even the SBC itself is not monolithic. Baptists, by nature, are going to have a little more variation on individual beliefs. Get outside of the cliff notes paragraph earlier, and you can almost go all over the map. I think one thing that the Particular Baptist (Calvinistic Baptists) won't admit is that they themselves are influenced by Anabaptist thought when it comes to separation of church and state.

Hopefully, I painted enough of a very broad-stroked picture for you to get a basic feel. I would be happy to answer any questions, as would others here I am sure!

• Informative
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
There are some churches/charges within the UMC that have pastors who still belong to other denominations. My assigned clergy mentor is an ordained Southern Baptist minister but pastors a charge of two United Methodist churches.

Upvote 0