Difference between flaming and just being honest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Intention.

Everyone who thinks X is wrong is stupid.

One I said because I honestly felt that way.
One I said because I wanted to point out to an Xer that I thought they were stupid.

The problem? Which is which?

Intent cannot always be seen, and that causes problems.
Exactly.
And those problems are caused on the receiving end (by trying to do that which can´t be done). If we abstain from mind and intent reading altogether (or, at least, always keep to the most work from the most positive option available) there isn´t any problem.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You can't discuss one without being cognizant of the other. It's a combination of what's being said, who's saying it, who's hearing it, where it's being said and a host of other dynamics that might be at play.

Yes I agree those things do play a part but they are secondary.

There is always a way of telling someone the truth without being intentionally insulting.

You just can't say that anything is 'honest' or a 'flame' ... every bit is situational to some degree or another.

I am not sure I agree with that, but I would need to see some examples.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Intention.

One I said because I honestly felt that way.
One I said because I wanted to point out to an Xer that I thought they were stupid.

The problem? Which is which?

Intent cannot always be seen, and that causes problems.

Both "everyone who thinks X is wrong is stupid" may be a flame or truth.
The point is, even if it were truth, in a formal debate, you would lose points.

One should demonstrate WHY it is stupid (and probably not use that word.)
Then you don't have to worry about intent, but will demonstrate that if the claim is clearly false, and the poster still claims it to be true, to demonstrate themselves as stupid, with no help from you.

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
the condition of ones head and heart at the time
the view(beliefs) of the writer and reader
what is constructive criticism to one is flaming to another
a conservative view on a liberal site, probably is "flaming"
no one wants to hear comments, true or otherwise.....sad

Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Jesus Christ himself was against flames:

First of all he said: "But anyone who says 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell." (Jesus) Mat 5:22

Then:

"You fools!" (Jesus) Luke 11:40
"You blind fools!" (Jesus) Mat 23:17
"How foolish you are" (Jesus) Luke 24:25
"But God said to him, 'You fool!' " (Jesus) Luke 12:20
"You foolish Galatians!" (St. Paul) Galatians 3:1
"You foolish man" James 2:20

oh...

Reactions: sidhe
Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Being Honest: Dude, um, you stink. Seriously. People talk about it. But if you would shower more, and use some deordorant, you could get it under control. I'm telling you this because I care about you.

Flaming: Girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl, yo so stanky, I would open the window in a Submarine. Yo so stanky, that your Sure deodorant is not Confused. Chillllllllll you could use Right Guard ANNNNNND Left Guard. Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay?

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I define flaming as being ad hominem attacks, where as just being honest has a focus on the issue at hand.
I'm sure I can write an ad hominem attack without flaming. I would note that ad hominem is not equivalent to insult.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 5:22 is specifically something for fellow Christians, look at the full text:

But I say to you, anyone who is angry with his brother without a cause will be subject to punishment. And whoever says to his brother 'Raka!' will be subject to the Council. And whoever says 'You fool!' will be subject to hell fire.

It is to keep Christians as a united body...

But on the topic:

I have always disagreed with rules of flaming. I do not mind hostility in debates.

It doesn't bother me.

I thought we all learned the 'sticks and stones' bit when we were kids, didn't we? I am unaffected by the hostilities of others and I shrug.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Disrespectful:
Person A: I think strawberry sorbet is a great frozen dessert because it is healthy, low in sugar and fat, and yet still cool and refeshing.
Person B: What a loser, you're totally wrong. There is only one great one, and that's strawberry icecream

Respectful:
Person A: I think strawberry sorbet is a great frozen dessert because it is healthy, low in sugar and fat, and yet still cool and refeshing.
Person B: Sorbet is nice, but it lacks creamy texture and can contain too much sugar, depending on who manufactures it. Strawberry ice-cream, on the other hand, is creamy, fulfilling, and, if made with milk, low in fat and also be low in sugar, yet also provide a small dose of protein

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
What about telling nonChristians that Jesus is the Way/Truth/Life and no one comes to the Father but by him, interpreted to mean that only Christians are saved, and everyone else is going to hell?

That could be said to be truth (for some Christians) and be taken as a flame by those on the receiving end.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.