• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Did the SBC ever retract their condemnation of the NIV 2011?

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by Leevo, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Leevo

Leevo Well-Known Member

+279
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I thought I read something a few months back that stated that they did. I have not been able to find anything besides the original resolution from 2011 condemning the version. Any help?

Also, what are your thoughts on the NIV 2011?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+16,291
    Non-Denom
    Married
    20 years ago the publishers IBS tried to issue a gender neutral NIV. But it aroused such opposition that they put out a statement about how it wasn't providential, or something.

But of course they had invested a lot of money in the project. So after they though the fuss had died down they tried again.

Those of us familiar with Latin America will be aware of the influence of huge corporations there. Churches in North America are not immune, either.

3. dysert

dysert Member

+2,201
    Christian
    Married
    I haven't heard that they retracted it. And I've never really used the NIV anyway, so no, I don't use the 2011 edition.

4. AACJ

AACJ Please Pray

+1,376
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Republican
    Is it much different from the other NIV Bible preversions?

5. Leevo

Leevo Well-Known Member

+279
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Preversions?

6. dysert

dysert Member

+2,201
    Christian
    Married
    My understanding is that the 2011 edition uses gender neutral language, which would be consistent with its dynamic equivalence translation philosophy.

7. Leevo

Leevo Well-Known Member

+279
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    It does. I have concerns about using it if an entire denomination has denounced it. I used to not think it was a very big deal but my perspective has changed since then.

8. dysert

dysert Member

+2,201
    Christian
    Married
    And a fairly conservative denomination at that.

9. Leevo

Leevo Well-Known Member

+279
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Indeed. Considering that I am more or less a Southern Baptist, and agree with them on almost every theological point, I take caution when approaching this subject, given that they denounced the version. I wish I had thought about that before I ordered a NIV LASB overnight and can't cancel it. Here's hoping that ChristianBook will let me via phone.

10. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+661
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    'The NIV and the Southern Baptists' was published in 2011. This article by Scott McKnight hopes that the SBC will reverse its decision. I have not seen anything that confirms this - yet!

However, I live a long way away - in Australia. I enjoy the dynamic equivalence of the New Living Translation as well. For new Christians, I find the NLT to be very easy for them to understand. As one who reads and teaches NT Greek, I am pleased to recommend the NIV 2011 and the NLT as reliable, dynamic equivalence translations. I know from teaching NT Greek that a literal translation is impossible to achieve without inserting words to explain sentences.

Why don't you read Daniel Wallace's article, 'Fifteen Myths About Bible Translation'?

Oz

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  11. Leevo

Leevo Well-Known Member

+279
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Thanks! I read through it and saw the point specifically regarding the NIV. Still not sure how I feel about it yet.

12. SeekerOfChrist94

SeekerOfChrist94 Grandma ♡ June 26, 1942 - January 10, 2017 5:32 pm

+1,959
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    You can return it as long as it's in its original wrappings, for example don't unwrap the plastic from off of the Bible.

13. Leevo

Leevo Well-Known Member

+279
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I called them and it had not processed yet so luckily I was able to cancel until I can consider it more.

14. AACJ

AACJ Please Pray

+1,376
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Republican
    Gender neutral Bible? Is that a literal descriptor?

15. SeekerOfChrist94

+1,959
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    The NIV 2011 uses 'they' or 'them' in place of 'he' or 'him'. Basically trying to be politically correct. I find it very confusing when translations do this, which is why I don't like the ESV too much since it uses this type of wording.

16. SeekerOfChrist94

+1,959
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    Yeah their processing times can take a bit, even if you do order overnight, it can still take a few days to process.

17. Leevo

Leevo Well-Known Member

+279
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I am not sure if it is being politically correct, or if it is more trying to be accurate. In Greek, the masculine forms "him, he, brothers" etc. is always used. In English, it would more accurately carry over to mean something like "them" in our language.

18. AACJ

AACJ Please Pray

+1,376
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Republican
    These modern Bible perversions continue to get worse and worse. When witches, warlocks, queers and homosexuals praise a Bible version (perversion), its time to admit.....its not authoritative. Satan has stealthily and deceptively slithered through the back door of the Church, with a bible perversion under each arm, whispering into the minds and hearts of Christians...."Yeah, hath God said...?"

19. AACJ

AACJ Please Pray

+1,376
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Republican
    I am sure the queers in the world will love this gender-neutral version, and I am sure that the makers of this abomination are hoping to profit handsomely from it in expectation that "Christian" queers everywhere will buy it by the truck load. Commercial enterprise, I say.

Thank God the KJV committee was not bound by copyright law and commercial incentive.

Inspired or God-directed modern bible versions? The makers of these abominations must bow the knee to copyright law, not to the Holy Spirit.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  20. Leevo

Leevo Well-Known Member

+279
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    No, the KJV committee were only bound by the king to translate the way he wanted it translated.