Did Moses really exist?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Ok so I came across this video made by a so called Jew:

For those who don't have the time to watch the video or plain don't want to I'll give a brief synopsis of what the Jew said in the video. He says that there is no archeological evidence that Moses existed and that Moses was just a person that scripture made up.

Really? God redeemed his people from slavery BY God through Moses and he's trying to make the case that Moses didn't exist? Moses wrote the very Torah that the Jew should have studied from childbirth of course Moses existed. But I guess Jesus summed it up right when he said that they don't listen to Moses and the Prophets so of course they don't believe in him.

I somehow doubt that there is no Archeological Evidence that Moses existed though. Moses DID exist. There is probably more evidence that Moses existed than there is that Jesus did and there are VERY few true historians that deny that there was a historical Jesus that existed when the Bible says he did.

Even if there is no Archeological evidence that Moses existed the Biblical evidence is insurmountable. Not to mention Jewish tradition that was passed down from the days of Moses . Moses existed and that is fact.

But, I doubt I'm going to get a single Jew or Christian or Muslim for that matter that will argue against my default position. Just another person who claims to be Jewish when they really don't hold to any of the laws and the Tanakh.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have seen a range of views held by Jews and Christians on this topic, and the view presented in the video falls within that range. (Your biblical-inerrantist view also falls with the range of views I've seen.) I am neither an archaeologist nor a historian, so I am not in a position to evaluate their evidence and reasoning at the moment. I've kinda figured I would wait it out, let the archaeologists and historians discuss it amongst themselves, and then see what they've settled on, and I'll reserve judgment until then.

I will, though, comment on two small points.

Ok so I came across this video made by a so called Jew:

But, I doubt I'm going to get a single Jew or Christian or Muslim for that matter that will argue against my default position. Just another person who claims to be Jewish when they really don't hold to any of the laws and the Tanakh.

I have no reason to doubt the Jewish faith or practice of the author of the video. Similarly, I have no reason to doubt the Christian faith of Christian scholars who hold view similar to those in the video.

There is probably more evidence that Moses existed than there is that Jesus did

Actually, no. One of the difficulties in assessing Moses' historicity is how very long ago he existed. Jesus and Mohammed are much more recent and thus much easier to document. Roughly speaking (and with exceptions for various emperors and such), the farther back in history you go, the harder this gets, for the multiple reasons addressed in the video.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
He says that there is no archeological evidence that Moses existed and that Moses was just a person that scripture made up.
The issue with reprobates is their logic and reason is nonsense. You cannot argue with nonsense, because it lacks logic and reason.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,089.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There's another more sympathetic account here.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have seen a range of views held by Jews and Christians on this topic, and the view presented in the video falls within that range. (Your biblical-inerrantist view also falls with the range of views I've seen.) I am neither an archaeologist nor a historian, so I am not in a position to evaluate their evidence and reasoning at the moment. I've kinda figured I would wait it out, let the archaeologists and historians discuss it amongst themselves, and then see what they've settled on, and I'll reserve judgment until then.

I will, though, comment on two small points.

I have no reason to doubt the Jewish faith or practice of the author of the video. Similarly, I have no reason to doubt the Christian faith of Christian scholars who hold view similar to those in the video.

Actually, no. One of the difficulties in assessing Moses' historicity is how very long ago he existed. Jesus and Mohammed are much more recent and thus much easier to document. Roughly speaking (and with exceptions for various emperors and such), the farther back in history you go, the harder this gets, for the multiple reasons addressed in the video.

What I meant was all we have for evidence that anyone or anything existed from around 6,000 BC and above is written evidence. The Bible is great evidence for the existence of Adam and Eve and Moses ...etc because as much as people tried to prove otherwise, the Bible has been found to be inerrant and historically true. For example, Babylon did conquer Israel in 597 BC. King Cyrus of Persia DID conquer Babylon and give the Jews their land back in 537 BC. These are two historically proven facts that no scholars have debated and both stories are written in the Old Testament. But that is only the tip of the iceberg on the historical accuracy of the Bible. I could go on and on about events from the Bible that were proven to be true. Another example would be that King Herod really did order the brutal execution of all the firstborn baby boys in an attempt to kill Jesus. And he really was King of Israel around that time. Pilate really did exist and order Jesus's execution. None of this is debated and the Bible proves its true because the Bible has been proven accurate time and time again.

People wrote about Moses, Moses wrote the Torah, and even Jesus said that Moses existed. You cannot deny that evidence. Also, i wasn't trying to "attack" the Jew I just thought it was odd that he didn't believe the Torah was written by Moses like, oh I don't know every other Jew that ive ever encountered ever?

They don't even deny Jesus existed. They just don't mention him in Jewish history because well, they killed him.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
He says that there is no archeological evidence that Moses existed
They deny the archeological evidence. Their camp sight out on the desert was shaped like a foot because Moses instructed them that the latrine was to be separated from their living area. Bruce Feiler wrote a book: Walking the Bible where he shows the archeology evidence. He did a PBS special on that book.
13357_web.jpg

Upvote 0