Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
unbound said:
In Joseph Smiths history, he claims to have seen two personages. One says to the other " this is my son, hear him".

Were these personages actually God and Jesus appearing to JS?

FB: I am waiting with baited breath for your point on this post.

Upvote 0

AMMON

LATTER-DAY SAINT
Jan 30, 2004
Sacramento, California
Visit site
✟2,223.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
unbound said:
In Joseph Smiths history, he claims to have seen two personages. One says to the other " this is my son, hear him".

Yes. God the Father and His Divine Son, Jesus Christ of Nazareth, appeared to and spoke with the young Joseph Smith, who would later become the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ammon said:
Yes. God the Father and His Divine Son, Jesus Christ of Nazareth, appeared to and spoke with the young Joseph Smith, who would later become the Prophet Joseph Smith.

FB: Lets see if I can guess.

Unbound could say, what about the eight different versions of the first vision. Some only refer to an angel.

Upvote 0

AMMON

LATTER-DAY SAINT
Jan 30, 2004
Sacramento, California
Visit site
✟2,223.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
fatboys said:
FB: Lets see if I can guess.

Unbound could say, what about the eight different versions of the first vision. Some only refer to an angel.

I am aware that is their likely response. It always is.

Upvote 0

unbound

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2004
✟17,431.00
Faith
Christian
Lets see, Joseph Smith did not have the priesthood at that time, and according to this verse, he could not have been able to see him and live.

D&C 84:21 And without the ordinances thereof, and the power of the priesthood, the power of godliness is not manifest unto men in the flesh;
22 For without this no man can see the face of God, even the Father, and live.

Upvote 0

AMMON

LATTER-DAY SAINT
Jan 30, 2004
Sacramento, California
Visit site
✟2,223.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
unbound said:
Lets see, Joseph Smith did not have the priesthood at that time, and according to this verse, he could not have been able to see him and live.

D&C 84:21 And without the ordinances thereof, and the power of the priesthood, the power of godliness is not manifest unto men in the flesh;

Did I say he saw his face? Nope. Perhaps he had a mask on so that Joseph wouldn't die... get back to you with a serious response later. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
unbound said:

It was a vision. That's why it is called the First Vision.

People can see things in visions and withstand them better than seeing them in person.

Upvote 0

unbound

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2004
✟17,431.00
Faith
Christian
Jenda said:

People can see things in visions and withstand them better than seeing them in person.
I dont read anywhere in that account where JS called it a vision. Although if it was, JS was still a man, and bound by the verse in D&C, whether it was a vision or not.

However, one could claim the "personages" were not the "full" bodies of God and his son.

Do the LDS feel that JS saw the actual enities of God and Jesus as they would appear in heaven?

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
unbound said:
I dont read anywhere in that account where JS called it a vision. Although if it was, JS was still a man, and bound by the verse in D&C, whether it was a vision or not.

My interpretation of that verse is that one has to be standing in the actual presence of God in order for that to happen. But a vision is just a similitude of something that is real. It is not real in itself.

I had a vision of myself being ordained into the priesthood of my church. In the vision I saw the person ordaining me, I heard the music being played. Were those people really there? No. Was the music real music in the "vibrations in the air" sense? No. It was a similitude of something that was possibly going to happen.

Same thing, IMO, with Joseph Smith. He had a vision of God and Christ. And since a vision is a similitude, he was not actually standing in the direct presence of God the Father.

(Just out of curiosity, if it wasn't a vision, why is it called the First Vision?)

Upvote 0

ByGrace

Jul 18, 2003
Salt Lake City
✟1,928.00
Faith
Christian
Jenda said:

Sounds more like a peyote hallucination. Maybe in his rabid running from religion to religion he happened in on a vision quest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ByGrace

Jul 18, 2003
Salt Lake City
✟1,928.00
Faith
Christian
Jenda said:
(Just out of curiosity, if it wasn't a vision, why is it called the First Vision?)
Because once again joseph realized he screwed up.

How come this part of the experience is a vision but the first part where satan supposedly seized him and was about to kill him is physical reality????

Does that mean that his vision sent satan away?

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟394,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
unbound said:

Simple & Quick answer :)

[updown]

NO
JS did not see God at that time.

Now that he is dead ......

[/updown]

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
ByGrace said:
How come this part of the experience is a vision but the first part where satan supposedly seized him and was about to kill him is physical reality????

Because he prayed to God to release him from the clutches of Satan.

1 Peter 3:12 For the eyes of the Lord [are] over the righteous, and his ears [are open] unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord [is] against them that do evil.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.