Did Jesus or God speak to Ananias of Damascus?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acts 9:

1 Meanwhile, Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the disciples of the Lord.
5 “Who are You, Lord?” Saul asked. “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” He replied.
Jesus was the Lord.

10 In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord spoke to him in a vision, “Ananias!”
Jesus, the Lord, spoke to Ananias.

“Here I am, Lord,” he answered.
11 “Get up!” the Lord told him.
13 But Ananias answered, “Lord, many people have told me about this man and all the harm he has done to Your saints in Jerusalem.
15 “Go!” said the Lord. “This man is My chosen instrument to carry My name before the Gentiles and their kings, and before the people of Israel.
17 So Ananias went to the house, and when he arrived, he placed his hands on Saul. “Brother Saul,” he said, “the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here, has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit.”
All the references here point to Jesus as the Lord.

Did Jesus or God come in a vision to Ananias?

From the texts as well as the context, according to the point of view of Ananias, it was Jesus who spoke to Ananias in a vision.

Later, Paul recounted this story to the crowd at the Jerusalem temple in Acts 22:

12 “A man named Ananias came to see me. He was a devout observer of the law and highly respected by all the Jews living there. 13 He stood beside me and said, ‘Brother Saul, receive your sight!’ And at that very moment, I was able to see him. 14 “Then he said: ‘The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will and to see the Righteous One and to hear words from his mouth. 15 You will be his witness to all people of what you have seen and heard. 16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized, and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’
Paul met Ananias. Paul said that Ananias said that "the God of our ancestors has chosen you". There was no contradiction. As far as Paul was concerned, Jesus was God. Paul didn't say that Jesus did not come to Ananias in a vision.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or was it the Holy Spirit? We're kind of talking about "mechanism" here, perhaps treading close to Modalism in some sense, but not really (modalism precludes simultaneity of distinct Persons and specifies sequentiality of a single Person).

IMO and my reading, whenever the Lord has appeared in a manner perceptible to human physical senses, it has always been a theophany, and that Person has always been the Son.

But whenever the Lord has been perceived spiritually, it has always been through the Person of the Holy Spirit.

I'm not sure that the Father has ever been directly perceptible as a distinct Person in our material existence.

And I hasten to add that I don't think these distinctions make a difference in the tasks from the Lord that each of us is given each day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Acts 9:

Jesus was the Lord.

From the texts as well as the context, according to the point of view of Ananias, it was Jesus who spoke to Ananias in a vision.

Later, Paul recounted this story to the crowd at the Jerusalem temple in Acts 22:

Paul met Ananias. Paul said that Ananias said that "the God of our ancestors has chosen you". There was no contradiction. As far as Paul was concerned, Jesus was God. Paul didn't say that Jesus did not come to Ananias in a vision.

If the thought here is Jesus or God the Father (one or the other) .... the entire bible is interaction with Jesus (who is God - having the same character as the Father) .... no one has ever seen God the Father ... except Jesus.

John 1:18
King James Bible
No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

ihadavision

Dec 15, 2023
Hayward
✟994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Acts 9:

Jesus was the Lord.

What do you mean? There is no separation.
1 John 5:7
7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Upvote 0

ihadavision

Dec 15, 2023
Hayward
✟994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Unity is not identity.
I don't know what you mean RDKirk. The bible says there is only ONE name under heaven by which men should be saved, and that is Jesus Christ, The Father has His own name, the Son has His own name, and The Holy Spirit has His own name...but they are the same GOD.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what you mean RDKirk. The bible says there is only ONE name under heaven by which men should be saved, and that is Jesus Christ, The Father has His own name, the Son has His own name, and The Holy Spirit has His own name...but they are the same GOD.
Do you think "...has His own name" is meaningless? What do you think that means? Do you accept that God is in three Persons, and if so, what do you think is meant by "Persons?"

Upvote 0

ihadavision

Dec 15, 2023
Hayward
✟994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you think "...has His own name" is meaningless? What do you think that means? Do you accept that God is in three Persons, and if so, what do you think is meant by "Persons?"
I would never say His name is meaningless, they are the specific bodies of GOD, they are all one. The Father is the Godhead, the judge, but He gave the power to Judge to Jesus Christ, so all who believe in Him have everlasting life, GOD is Jesus Christ The Father as well, because Jesus Christ is GOD incarnated, The Son is The Father, and The Father and Son is The Holy Spirit, there is no separation (according to the Holy Bible)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would never say His name is meaningless, they are the specific bodies of GOD, they are all one. The Father is the Godhead, the judge, but He gave the power to Judge to Jesus Christ, so all who believe in Him have everlasting life, GOD is Jesus Christ The Father as well, because Jesus Christ is GOD incarnated, The Son is The Father, and The Father and Son is The Holy Spirit, there is no separation (according to the Holy Bible)
What you seem to be saying is that "no separation" means no difference of Person.

Reactions: ihadavision
Upvote 0

ihadavision

Dec 15, 2023
Hayward
✟994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes there is no difference I believe. I should clarify. By no difference, I mean that GOD is still the same person, Father, Son, or Holy Ghost, and the only "difference" I wouldn't call it a difference, but a definition of His almighty power that cannot be explained by human words, so I call the indwelling of GOD since I am a temple of the LORD The Holy Spirit, The SON is GOD incarnated into flesh to pay the price for Sin. Jesus Christ said "I and The Father are One".

Upvote 0

ihadavision

Dec 15, 2023
Hayward
✟994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How about
Matthew 4:1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
What about it? The devil failed because God cannot be tempted to commit any sin. Are you suggesting a separation because He was led by the Spirit? Going to disagree with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course! Jesus is GOD.
Please stay focused on my question if you are able. This is the last time I ask you.

Everywhere in the Bible, when you see the string "Jesus", you can change it to the string "God".

True?

Upvote 0

ihadavision

Dec 15, 2023
Hayward
✟994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please stay focused on my question if you are able. This is the last time I ask you.

Everywhere in the Bible, when you see the string "Jesus", you can change it to the string "God".

True?
No, the words of the bible cannot be changed. In revelations, it says, whoever changes the words of the bible, will have their name taken out of the book of life.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 4:1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

Replace the string "Jesus" by the string "God". You are okay with that?
I think that @ihadavision answered your question in the response to my question at post #12.

Reactions: ihadavision
Upvote 0