• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Did Jesus lust ???

Discussion in 'Christian Scriptures' started by Carl Emerson, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+5,249
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    One among us insists that Jesus lusted and Paul lusted - what thinkest thou ???

Most modern translations refer to 'strong desire' in these cases.

Throughout the OT ad most of the NT the references to lust are describing a sinful condition.

I think some are trying to argue that lusting is in fact morally neutral.

Your comments appreciated.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+3,300
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    No... tempted like all men, but no lust.

3. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+4,681
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Jesus did not.

"For we do not have a High Priest
    who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses,​
    but was in all points tempted as we are,
    yet without sin." Hebrews 4:15 NKJV​

Paul was not exempt from it, but he did not endorse it.

Paul did use a synonym once in a positive context,

"But earnestly desire the best gifts." 1 Corinthians 12:31 NKJV
    "But covet earnestly the best gifts:..." KJV

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+5,249
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Some argue that lust is necessary for procreation.

I think marriages can break down because they are lust driven.

I believe all activities in life should be motivated by Agape Love.

5. Paulomycin

Paulomycin Well-Known Member

+246
    United States
    Reformed
    "Tempted to lust" vs. "lust itself" is very blurry. One of my mentors said the difference between the two was determined when you took a second look.

6. Rene Loup

Rene Loup Saved Wolf Among Sheep

+548
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    The more I read, study, and know Scripture, the more awareness I gain from it. Quite frankly, it is downright terrifying just how easy it is to sin. I cannot imagine having to spend my life savings on sin offerings in the Old Testament times.

The Lord Jesus Christ is truly a remarkable Man for living a completely sinless life. Hallelujah!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  7. OceanPoet87

OceanPoet87 Husband 'N Wifi

+85
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Jesus is incapable of lusting. Lust is negative and essentially is coveting. Jesus has no need to lust for a woman. Being God he does not need anything. Now as a man, he suffered, wept, live, died, and rose but He Loves not lusts.

8. GOD Shines Forth!

GOD Shines Forth! Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,123
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Amen!

9. 2BeholdHisGlory

2BeholdHisGlory Formerly FireInFolding

+66
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Even in the OT the words are used interchangably

Exodus 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Deut 5:21 Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is thy neighbour's.

There in the bad sense and the same two words are found in the good sense in the NT also

10. Der Alte

Der Alte This is me about 1 yr. old. Supporter

+3,752
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Since Jesus was like us in every way I'm sure He was capable of being sexually aroused but IMHO He did not act on it.

11. venksta

venksta Jesus is humanity's most successful rebel.

+171
    Canada
    Christian
    Single
    Matthew 5:28
    "But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

Based on Jesus own words, he viewed each person as a family member. Men were either brothers or sons, woman had the opportunity to be a sister, daughter, or mother to Him.

12. Der Alte

Der Alte This is me about 1 yr. old. Supporter

+3,752
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    In those two verses the same word "chamad" is translated "covet" and "desire."

13. bèlla

bèlla ⭐️ Supporter

+12,672
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I don't believe Jesus lusted — actively engaged in lust. But He knew what it was and how it felt.

14. 2BeholdHisGlory

+66
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Deut 12:20 When the LORD thy God shall enlarge thy border, as he hath promised thee, and thou shalt say, I will eat flesh, because thy soul longeth H183 to eat flesh; thou mayest eat flesh, whatsoever thy soul lusteth after.

Deut 14:26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, H183 for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

The first verse and the second share just that one between them H183

15. 2BeholdHisGlory

+66
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Thank you! And good to see you again Der Alte, I hope you are doing well!

16. DragonFox91

DragonFox91 Well-Known Member

+424
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Everyone struggles w/ different sins. Just b/c you or a ton of other people struggle w/ lust doesn't mean Jesus or Paul did. I think neither struggled w/ lust or was even tempted to much w/ it. Other sins, probably. This one, not as much. Not much Biblical evidence. Jesus, maybe anger? Like the clearing of the Temple. This past Sunday School we talked how Jesus was surrounded by sinners who all felt short. I can't imagine that's a good feeling at all. I could see his disciples losing patience w/ him themselves & him wanting to lose his patience w/ them.

17. 2BeholdHisGlory

+66
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    If lust did conceive it would bring forth sin and we wouldnt have had a sinless Savior, so I would hope not.

18. bèlla

bèlla ⭐️ Supporter

+12,672
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Temptation isn't a sin. Indulgence is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. 2BeholdHisGlory

+66
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Lust (conceived) brings forth sin not being led into temptation

20. Paul4JC

Paul4JC It is for freedom that Christ has set us free

+1,070
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    [Mar 7:37 NIV] 37 People were overwhelmed with amazement. "(Jesus) He has done everything well,"

[Heb 4:15b NIV] ... one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet he did not sin.

[Psa 45:2-8, 17 NIV] 2 You are the most excellent of men and your lips have been anointed with grace, since God has blessed you forever. 3 Gird your sword on your side, you mighty one; clothe yourself with splendor and majesty. 4 In your majesty ride forth victoriously in the cause of truth, humility and justice; let your right hand achieve awesome deeds. 5 Let your sharp arrows pierce the hearts of the king's enemies; let the nations fall beneath your feet. 6 Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom. 7 You love righteousness and hate wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy. 8 All your robes are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia; from palaces adorned with ivory the music of the strings makes you glad. ... 17 I will perpetuate your memory through all generations; therefore the nations will praise you for ever and ever.