✟9,971.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John 7:6-10 NLT
Jesus replied, "Now is not the right time for me to go, but you can go anytime. [7] The world can't hate you, but it does hate me because I accuse it of doing evil. [8] You go on. I'm not going to this festival, because my time has not yet come." [9] After saying these things, Jesus remained in Galilee. [10] But after his brothers left for the festival, Jesus also went, though secretly, staying out of public view.

I think Jesus was lying. Therefore he sinned. Therefore he is not the perfect sacrifice. What is your opinion?
Edit. It seems that some translations differ. E.g. the kjv has a "yet".

Last edited:
Reactions: Godistruth1

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Jesus replied, "Now is not the right time for me to go, but you can go anytime. [7] The world can't hate you, but it does hate me because I accuse it of doing evil. [8] You go on. I'm not going to this festival, because my time has not yet come." [9] After saying these things, Jesus remained in Galilee. [10] But after his brothers left for the festival, Jesus also went, though secretly, staying out of public view.

I think Jesus was lying. Therefore he sinned. Therefore he is not the perfect sacrifice. What is your opinion?
We all change our minds, sometimes, when circumstances change.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What you might do is ask yourself what the term "going to the festival" means in this case? Does it mean going so that one openly and actively participates IN the festival? OR, does it mean simply going to the proximity of the festival in covert fashion and observing it from the outskirts?

These two ideas aren't the same.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a rabbinic principle that HE appealed to (thereby approving of it) when He was charged with breaking Sabbath. (a very bad sin)

That is a positive command in the Law trumped a negative command, if the 2 are in conflict. In this case the positive command to preserve life (including His own) trumped the negative command prohibiting lying. It was not yet his time to die.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟252,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
God cannot lie although it is an ability he wished he could use. God being light and truth, cannot cast a shadow or tell a lie. He does ask of the angels of light if one will volunteer to go acting as a lying spirit for him.

Jesus was God and yet man. So how could he be tempted, lie or die? And of course he has another range of abilities in his humanity. So he could lie without sinning, and experience life as one of his creations, to be our perfect high priest.

1Ki 22:19 And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left.
1Ki 22:20 And the LORD said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner.
1Ki 22:21 And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him.
1Ki 22:22 And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.
1Ki 22:23 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee. KJV

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I heard that the kjv has a "yet" in there. So this is a translation issue.

This is from the Young's Literal Translation:

6 Jesus, therefore, saith to them, `My time is not yet present, but your time is always ready;

The word "yet" changes the whole narrative. Though it sounds as if he went right away, and he may have, apparently the timing of his arrival had to be precise. And showing up with a band of followers might have changed the way it was to play out.
I used to think about this too.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I read it in KJV and it has no contradiction , he simply told them to go first and not wait for him .
Jesus was fulfilling prophecy so he had to be exactly where he had to be every time he did something but the apostles were not fulfilling anything so they were free to go whenever they wanted . Jesus did only this what Father told him .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟252,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
This is from the Young's Literal Translation:

6 Jesus, therefore, saith to them, `My time is not yet present, but your time is always ready;

The word "yet" changes the whole narrative. Though it sounds as if he went right away, and he may have, apparently the timing of his arrival had to be precise. And showing up with a band of followers might have changed the way it was to play out.
I used to think about this too.
Does this mean Jesus' brothers knew he would only attend later on?

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I can't read minds nor can I speak to dead sorry .
We don't even know who was getting married , maybe one of his brothers so he would need to be there if mother asked him to .

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
John 7:6-10 (NASB)
6 So Jesus said to them,
“My time is not yet here, but your time is always opportune.
7 The world cannot hate you, but it hates Me because I testify of it, that its deeds are evil.
8 Go up to the feast yourselves; I do not go up to this feast because My time has not yet fully come.”
9 Having said these things to them, He stayed in Galilee.
10 But when His brothers had gone up to the feast,
then He Himself also went up, not publicly, but as if, in secret.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟692,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

They didn't have to know.

This was the Feast of the Tabernacles, a week long event. Jesus's brothers tried to get him to go at the beginning of the festival and Jesus clearly said no, its not His time.

He went secretly later on, and then made His public appearance, debut if you will, halfway through the festival.

Nothing needed explained. The beginning of the Festival wasn't Jesus's time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why would they know that?
Even at this point in the story, they still didn't "get it". After seeing all the miracles and hearing his words, they still didn't understand the message Jesus was bringing. Peter was so off track at one point that Jesus yelled at him to shut up and basically say that Satan was controlling Peter. Even after he rose from the dead, he had issues with at least Thomas.
I wouldn't guess they had a clue. Even though they were apostles, they were still just people like you and me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JakeyB123

Jul 10, 2018
bakersfield
✟12,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John 7:6-10 King James Version (KJV)
6 Then Jesus said unto them, My time is not yet come: but your time is alway ready.

7 The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

8 Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast: for my time is not yet full come.

9 When he had said these words unto them, he abode still in Galilee.

10 But when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret.

It's the translation..

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

In my Hebrew translation the text is clearer. Simply put, He is not going there to make a public appearance because the time of his arrest and dying on the Cross had not come yet. They fully understood that He was going to the Festival a part from them so not to draw attention to himself.

It would be like a Rock and Roller saying I am not going to the Concert to play, but to enjoy someone else performing.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But after his brothers left for the festival, Jesus also went, though secretly, staying out of public view.
This was Tabernacles, an eight day festival. The first half (recorded history)Jesus was with us in secret. Day one is the Garden of Eden 6,000 years ago. Half way though on the fifth day 2,000 years ago Jesus began to teach / preach openly in public. The fifth and sixth day is the church age, Holy Spirit Dispensation, Time of the Gentiles. The 7 day is the 1,000 year reign of Christ. The 8th day is the New Heavens and the New Earth. Jesus did this as a teaching lesson so we could better understand what the festival of tabernacles represents. The current age we live in took God 6 days and He rested on the 7 th day. Then on the 8th day we find Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. They fell into sin. So God begins a program to restore the Earth and Creation that takes the same amount of time as creation: 7 days or 7,000 years. If a day in Genesis was 24 hours as some suggest then God would have been able to restore the world in 7 24 hour days. We know that this is taking God 7,000 years to accomplish His purpose. The on day 8 there is the New Heavens and the New Earth. Jesus still inhabits the Earth. His kingdom is forever. WE know that in the Kingdom age the Kingdoms of this world are restored onto God. Thy kingdom come thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What did Jesus mean by "my time is not yet."?
The first 4,000 years Jesus dwells with mankind in secret. It was not until middle of the festival on the 5 day that Jesus begins to teach openly in public.

290389_b37e043a70b5dd142ff3310d426ab334.jpg

Attachments

• Creation-Chart-2000-x-1545-EARTH.jpg
    Creation-Chart-2000-x-1545-EARTH.jpg
    914.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Upvote 0