Did Jesus Laugh?

He put me back together

Official Hog washer
Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
✟4,092.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Jesus was and is full of life, and he was full of laughter. This is crucial to his character--if Jesus never laughed, we are serving the wrong God and believing the wrong religion. He was burdened with the sadness of his children in ruins and the weight of what he had to do, but at the same time he had joy unspeakable by the anticipation of reunion with his friends, and the freedom his sacrifice would bring them. He was full of hurt, and full of joy, both of which were unutterable. Perhaps the teachers of the law didn't laugh, but Jesus most certainly did. Where do the scriptures say that Jesus breathed? Did he breathe? Where do the scriptures say that Jesus cut wood? Well, he was a carpenter's son--does anybody wish to contest that he never handled a saw, for thirty years of being a carpenter's son, simply because the scriptures found it unnecessary to mention that he did? Did Jesus ever squish mud between his toes? Do the scriptures say that he did? Did he pee? I don't remember the scriptures saying he did...or any Apostle for that matter... Did Jesus go swimming? Did he pet dogs? Did he ever feed a donkey as it walked up to the fence beside the road he was walking on? Did he cut his hair? Did he not cut his hair? Did he ever brush his hair to the side of his face when it got in his eyes?

"Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written. " --John 21:25

Anyone who knows Jesus knows that he laughed when he was here--if he didn't, I don't know him. As for the hilarious things that he did, here are a couple that the scriptures mention:

1. In the middle of a storm, while the boat he was in was filling with water, he slept on a pillow! His disciples woke him up, he griped at them for not having faith, and rebuked the storm. I almost believe he went back to sleep after that. (Matt 8:23-27)

2. After SETTING US FREE and RISING FROM THE GRAVE, he chills on a shorebank and cooks some fish on a fire. (John 21:1-14)

Notice his words in the second example. "Friends, do you have any fish?" Is that really so solemn? Sounds more like "Fellers, yuns catchen em ALL this mornin?" to me. :)

Upvote 0

babyjenny1976

Taking that step out of the boat can be hard!
Oct 21, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
✟7,710.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
The first time i heard this song it made so much sense to me. I think it relates well to what is being discussed here. It really makes you think. It helped me relate well to Jesus being young and growing up. I've always heard people say everything that we've been thru Jesus has already experience but i had never quite thought about it like this. Anyway... heres the song!​

Boy Like Me / Man Like You​

You was a baby like I was once
You was cryin' in the early mornin'
You was born in a stable Lord
Reid Memorial is where I was born
They wrapped You in swaddling clothes
Me they dressed in baby blue

But I was twelve years old in the meeting house
Listening to the old men pray
And I was tryin' hard to figure out
What it was that they was tryin' to say
There You were in the temple
They said You weren't old enough
To know the things You knew

Well, did You grow up hungry?
Did You grow up fast?
Did the little girls giggle when You walked past?
Did You wonder what it was that made them laugh?
And did they tell You stories 'bout the saints of old?
Stories about their faith?
They say stories like that make a boy grow bold
Stories like that make a man walk straight

And You was a boy like I was once
But was You a boy like me
Well, I grew up around Indiana
You grew up around Galilee
And if I ever really do grow up
Lord I want to grow up and be just like You

Well, did You wrestle with a dog and lick his nose?
Did You play beneath the spray of a water hose?
Did You ever make angels in the winter snow?

Did You ever get scared playing hide and seek?
Did You try not to cry when You scraped Your knee?
Did You ever skip a rock across a quiet creek?

And I really may just grow up and be like You someday

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Luke 10:21
At that very time He rejoiced greatly in the Holy Spirit, and said, "I praise You, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants. Yes, Father, for this way was well-pleasing in Your sight.

Matthew 25:21
"His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.'

Luke 1:47
And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.

Luke 6:23
"Be glad in that day and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven. For in the same way their fathers used to treat the prophets.

Luke 15:7
"I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

John 3:29
"He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom's voice. So this joy of mine has been made full.

John 4:36
"Already he who reaps is receiving wages and is gathering fruit for life eternal; so that he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together.

John 15:11
"These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.

Galatians 5:22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness

Philippians 4:4
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!

1 Thessalonians 5:16
Rejoice always;

Revelation 18:20
"Rejoice over her, O heaven, and you saints and apostles and prophets, because God has pronounced judgment for you against her."

[size=-1]Revelation 19:7
"Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready."
[/size]

[size=-1]I'm kinda surprised that no one else has yet just posted all these verses dealing with rejoice and joy. Of course Jesus was a happy man!! :D :clap:[/size]

[size=-1]That 2 Thes 5:16 verse comes before "for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus." If it is the will of God to rejoice, and we know that Christ was perfect, then we know that He also rejoiced :D
[/size]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tpony298

Aug 27, 2005
Penna.
✟8,547.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Arkanin said:
For those who say he laughed, there are other "human" things Jesus did not do that were perfectly healthy.

For example, Jesus was also celibate, in theory, but there is nothing wrong with marriage and reproduction. This would be because he is believed to be the son of god. I guess what I am getting to is there is no reason he wouldn't have laughed, but also no reason we know he laughed. Beats me. :)

Are you suggesting "celibetcy" is unhealthy:scratch:

Upvote 0

tpony298

Aug 27, 2005
Penna.
✟8,547.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I know Jesus made jokes: so he must have laughted too;

Mat 15:11 Not that which goes into the mouth defiles a man; but that which comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.

Mat 15:12 Then His disciples came and said to Him, Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?

Mat 15:13 But He answered and said, Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted shall be rooted up.

Mat 15:14 Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

When my husband first read this he was a baby Christian and he broke out laughing in a belly roll and said.."Jesus is a funny man!"

Upvote 0

NothingButTheBlood

Feb 27, 2005
✟4,508.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I would imagine he did. We are to be joyful in the Lord and being joyful puts a smile on your face. Smile isn't far from laughing. There is humor in fellowship and I see no reason that Christ would not have been someone to laugh or say things to make people laugh. He also loved children. How can you not laugh at the things kids do sometimes?

Upvote 0