Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2006
✟51,559.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In more ways than one, but here is one example:

John 8:58-59 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM. Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Exo 3:13-14 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Upvote 0

cCensor

Feb 13, 2008
USA
✟8,130.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

John 8:58-59 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM. Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Exo 3:13-14 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

These are great verses. Love them both, but would not have used them. There are so many, but I love the I AM THAT I AM. You did great!

If you read in John 18 when they came for Jesus, Jesus asked whom to you seek? The troops said "Jesus of Nazareth". Jesus said I AM he. The word he is not in the Greek. Jesus was saying I AM as He did in Ex 3. It was the same God. Jesus was in the burning bush and all the way through the bible.
When Jesus said I AM when they came to take Him they all fell down like Moses had before the burning bush.

Love Censor:wave:

Upvote 0

Bdsimon

Feb 21, 2008
✟15,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Did Jesus say he is a God?
Not a God. God. And the answer is yes. The Jews wanted to crucify Him and accused Him of blasphemy for this very reason. If you are searching, study the two above passages and their meanings to the audiences to which they were spoken.

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But it's not said direclty "I am your God and you have to Worship me"...
All are just your conclusion, a God won't let this to chance, if jesus was God had to make it clear...am waiting for clear claiming of Jesus that he is God...
Thank you
Then you will be waiting a long time, friend.

You cannot view another's belief through the eyes of your own faith (Islam).

If you are genuinely asking, why Christians believe Jesus is God ..... and are seeking understanding of another person's faith, then your question has already been answered by Angelmom and Censor.

Shalom to you...:)

Upvote 0

Jesus_islam

May 23, 2008
✟15,186.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private

john 8:58-59 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM. Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Before Abraham wa I M, does not mean I AM the GOD!!!Jesus hid himself, it's human natural reaction of defending not God's, Is God afraind from people and need to hid himself.....God is not Powerful can't he protect himslef whitout hiding?

And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: God said not Jesus..I AM sent me, shall someone send himself, or did God send Him...

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So are you trying to understand our faith more or trying to push your POV?

If you're trying to understand the faith more, then God willing I will help...

In John 8: 58-59 it's important to note the reaction in verse 59 of His remark. It's stated in verse 59 that they picked up stones to throw at Him. What would prompt such a reaction? It was the combination of Y'shua's sentence:

"Before Avraham came into being, I AM!" (Complete Jewish Bible)

Such a remark in 1st Century Jerusalem was considered blasphemous because of what you later quoted in Ex 3:14-15, the penalty of which was stoning!

You referred to Ex 3:13-14 but you must also read the rest of that section. Verse 15 goes on to say:

"God said further to Moshe, "Say this to the people of Isra'el: 'YHVH' [Adonai] the God of your fathers, the God of Avraham, the God of Yitz'chak (Issac) and the God of Ya'akov (Jacob) has sent me to you.' This is my Name forever; this is how I am to be remembered generation after generation." (Complete Jewish Bible)

YHVH is the Name above all Names. It is typically replaced throughout the OT by Adonai or "THE LORD" because it is not to be used flippantly. The name Jesus (you do realise that Jesus is merely the Greek-to-English rendering of Y'shua) means "The Lord's salvation" some say "The Lord SAVES".

He was not able to reveal who he was until the appointed time in order to fulfill what the earlier prophets wrote about him, (to explain your query, "why did he hide himself").

I hope this helps you to understand your initial query in your OP.

Shalom.

Last edited:
Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Iefan

non compos mentis
May 29, 2008
Great White North
✟15,287.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
He was not able to reveal who he was until the appointed time in order to fulfill what the earlier prophets wrote about him, (to explain your query, "why did he hide himself").
As well, it's traditional Christian belief that Jesus was both the Son of Man and the Son of God. Avoiding death is hardly an evil act, however exerting a show of physical power against the "stoners" would be.

Upvote 0

angelmom01

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2006
✟51,559.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus came to do the will of the Father and glorify the Father, not himself.

We either believe the testimony of those who have given us the record of the person of Jesus Christ and the events that took place or we don't.

My faith is founded on many different things, the written record being only a part of it. But I do believe that there is sufficient evidence in the written record to show that Jesus Christ is God manifest in the flesh, the only begotten Son, through whom salvation has been wrought. :amen:

Upvote 0
N

NavyGuy7

But it's not said direclty "I am your God and you have to Worship me"...
All are just your conclusion, a God won't let this to chance, if jesus was God had to make it clear...am waiting for clear claiming of Jesus that he is God...
Thank you

Umm... to say that exact statement would kinda be unloving, and Jesus was HUMBLE. He would not say that.
He also said "I and the Father are One." And why did the Pharisees take him to be blasphemous if he was NOT claiming divinity?

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did Jesus say he is a God?

Jesus is never directly said in the Bible the exact words, “I am God.” That does not mean, however, that He did not proclaim that He is God. Take for example Jesus’ words in John 10:30, “I and the Father are one.” At first glance, this might not seem to be a claim to be God. However, look at the Jews’ reaction to His statement, “We are not stoning you for any of these, replied the Jews, but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God” (John 10:33). The Jews understood Jesus’ statement to be a claim to be God. In the following verses, Jesus never corrects the Jews by saying, “I did not claim to be God.” That indicates Jesus was truly saying He was God by declaring, “I and the Father are one” (John 10:30). John 8:58 is another example. Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was born, I am!" Again, in response, the Jews take up stones in an attempt to stone Jesus (John 8:59). Why would the Jews want to stone Jesus if He hadn’t said something they believed to be blasphemous, namely, a claim to be God?

John 1:1 says that “the Word was God.” John 1:14 says that “the Word became flesh.” This clearly indicates that Jesus is God in the flesh. Acts 20:28 tells us, "...Be shepherds of the church of God, which He bought with His own blood." Who bought the church with His own blood? Jesus Christ. Acts 20:28 declares that God purchased the church with His own blood. So, Jesus is God!

Thomas the disciple declared concerning Jesus, “Lord and my God” (John 20:28). Jesus does not correct him. Titus 2:13 encourages us to wait for the coming of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ (see also 2 Peter 1:1). In Hebrews 1:8, the Father declares of Jesus, "But about the Son He says, "Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom."

In Revelation, an angel instructed the Apostle John to only worship God (Revelation 19:10). Several times in Scripture Jesus receives worship (Matthew 2:11; 14:33; 28:9,17; Luke 24:52; John 9:38). He never rebukes people for worshiping Him. If Jesus were not God, He would have told people to not worship Him, just as the angel in Revelation had. There are many other verses and passages of Scripture that argue for Jesus’ deity.

The most important reason that Jesus IS God is that if He is not God, His death would not have been sufficient to pay the penalty for the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2). Only God could pay such an infinite penalty. Only God could take on the sins of the world (2 Corinthians 5:21), die, and be resurrected, proving His victory over sin and death.

Yes, Jesus is God.:amen::clap::bow:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesus_islam

May 23, 2008
✟15,186.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Hello hentenza,

Jews asked Moses more than that, they asked him to show them God....does it mean Moses is God or said he is...every messenger was treated as liar by his people in the begining...Jesus never said He is God, the person who wrote you the bible said that, it's human "conclusion" not necessarely a fact...do you trust people who wrote down the Bible....( i belive the Bible is divine, but man hand changed few things in it adding such conclusion and imaginations).
1-In Mathieu the story of young jew come to him (Jesus) and says: good master (teacher),what good things shall we do to go to heaven, Jesus says:what you're calling me good for? goodness belongs to God, God does not deny His goodness.....
2-Concerning His son Jesus Christ our Lord, who wa born of the seed of David according to the flesh,
Romans 1:3
God coming from David seeds Transmitted man to man,man to man until it reaches Mary??? is David father of Jesus or God, in both cases one of them is father and God can't be son of someonelse....
3-According to Bible Jesus kingdom is restricted on Jacob's house for ever, chapter 1,23.How come God who created earths and heavens restrisct his Kingdom to the house of Jacob? they say for ever, look now days the jews (Israel) are rooling in the city of Jesus,so what does ever mean?

4-Jesus said "But of that day and that hour knoweth no manno, not angels which are in heaven neither the Son,but the Father"Mark 13:32

Means in this period He being Jesus He does not know about that day, his knowledge was limited, God is all knowing.

5-12:"And on the morrow,when they come from Bethany, he was hangry:
13:And seeing a fig tree afar off having leavesnhe came,if haply he might find any thing theron:and when he came to it,he found nothing but leaves;for the time of figs was not yet" Holy Bible.

-Being Jesus He is hangry, needs food and water, so He is dependant.
but God is independant.
-He did not have normal knowledge also, common sence: you don't need to be a farmer also to know figs were out of season, being God He did not know about it? he was not able to see what was there in tree also before being closed to it...than he cursed the tree because it was following the nature low, the God low!!! God created earth and heavens, He made the nature low..
6-7)"He was ASLEEP"(Matthew,8:24)who was taking care and leading the creatures....
God does not get sleep or fatigue in guiding his creations.
7-"Behold,thy King cometh unto thee,meek,and sitting upon ass"matthew 21:5)"and Jesus,when he had found a young ass,sat theron"(john,12:14)
Transport of God is donkey? God is all powefull can be anywhere anytime....

8-"And he went into the temple,and began TO CAST them that sold therin,and them that bought"luke,19:45
As human this bahavior is understood,but as a God!! God is wise and patient.

9-"And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit,filled with wisdom"luke 2:40.
spirituel developement of God!! his knowledge grew??God is self knowing,his knowledge it's his own, he doesn't grew in knowledge.

10-"And immedialtely the spirit driveth him into wilderness.And he was there in the wilderness forty days,empted of Satan" Mark 1:12,13.
How can a devil tempt God??? God does created devils, they are creatures weak having no power more than what God gave to them....!!!

11-"Jesus wept" john,11:35
God cry??when his friend had died, he was not there in the village for 3 days, when he knows start crying!!As he is the God din't he know about it, and wasn't he who took his life?? God who take creatures souls and decide when.

12-"If I bear witnes of Myself, My witness is not true"John 5:35
"the The Pharisees therfore said to Him"You bear witness of Yourself;Your witness is not true"John 5:31
then he changed his words and "Jesus answered and said to them "Even if I bear witness of Myself,My witness is true" john 8:14
God change his words...God does not say contradictions..

Thank you and big hello to the cute children in the picture..

Upvote 0

angelmom01

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2006
✟51,559.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus_islam,

Just wondering how (or if) you understand the distinction between the Father and the Son?

Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is A MAN. Not only was He the son of God, he was also the son of man.

However, unlike any other man, the fullness of the Godhead was in Him and all power and authority had been given to him (from the Father and excluding the Father).

Jesus Christ is not the Father, but He is God manifest in the flesh (the Son).

It looks like you expect him to have ONLY the attributes of the Father and none of the attributes of man (or THE MAN that He also is)?

Upvote 0

e. barrett

May 20, 2008
Visit site
✟15,324.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think you may be confusing two issues here. One is whether Jesus claims divinity. Which he clearly does on repeated questions (although he doesn't come out and say the words "I am God"). Instead he uses language which would have a clear meaning to the Jews of his day. There was no way Jesus could use the phrase "I AM" without Jews hearing Jesus saying he was God. As Hentenza pointed out, you don't stone someone for blasphemey if they are simply claiming to be human. ;)

We can't seperate the historical times from the documents themselves. We have to look at how the Jews would have responded in order to understand what Jesus was saying.

To your recent post, I think you're getting into the nature of Jesus divinity (or in your view, the lack of that divinity). In order to become "fully human" God had to give up some of his power, or at the very least restrain some of it. For instance, Jesus had a human body, and we all know that humans need to eat. It's part of the natural, scientific, world. So because God chose to become "fully human" he had to take on that characteristic as well.

The reason he needed to become "fully human" was so his death meant something. Jesus had to live a human's perfect life in order to make the atonement for all of our sin. If he wasn't human he couldn't have been tempted, and therefore, couldn't have resisted that temptation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.