Did God Indirectly Cause Job To Suffer, Be Sick, And Be In Poverty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
According to my Bible narrative at the beginning of Job by the writer, Job is written poeticly. And some writings of it are fragmented and incomplete. Some writings like the discourse in chapter 28, the Elihu material are considered added after the original texts. Chs. 32-37 and part of all the of Lords discourses 38-41. Chs. 24-27 are regarded as seriously disarraged. So if this be true, how can we come to any conclusions?

There are many books in your bible that are pieced together, this is only one.

Just because the narration says that this is poetry, then it disagrees with the narrators theology is all. This is why there are so many translations of scripture, and the reason why i choose to stick with the original, Hebrew translations.

Upvote 0

franky67

Senior Veteran
Jul 22, 2005
✟21,351.00
Faith
Word of Faith
could you explain yourself? I have no idea what you mean?
You said;
anyone can be zapped at anytime, denomination has nothing to do with it. Only g-d knows what is going to happen 5 minutes from now and 5 years or 5 million

If what you said above is true, then we have no assurance of the promises of God in Christ, ie, the New Covenant.

You're giving the "God is Sovereign theology", and I'm saying God keeps His Covenant.

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
There are many books in your bible that are pieced together, this is only one.

Just because the narration says that this is poetry, then it disagrees with the narrators theology is all. This is why there are so many translations of scripture, and the reason why i choose to stick with the original, Hebrew translations.
I used the KJV.

Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I used the KJV.

Job is the first of the poetical, or wisdom, books of the old testament. The other books included in this category are; Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Solomon.

This is also in my KJV as well. so, do you disregard all that is written in all these books as poetry?

–adjective Also, po‧et‧i‧cal. 1.possessing the qualities or charm of poetry: poetic descriptions of nature. 2.of or pertaining to a poet or poets. 3.characteristic of or befitting a poet: poetic feeling; poetic insight. 4.endowed with the faculty or feeling of a poet: a poetic eulogist. 5.having or showing the sensibility of a poet: a poetic lover. 6.of or pertaining to poetry: poetic literature. 7.of the nature of or resembling poetry: a poetic composition; poetic drama; poetic imagination. 8.celebrated in poetry, as a place. 9.providing a subject for poetry. 10.of or pertaining to literature in verse form. –noun 11.poetics.

Do all you find these books as poetry? Do you not believe any of these speak truth?

Do you all agree with this King James' theology then? I recall rome does not.

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Job is the first of the poetical, or wisdom, books of the old testament. The other books included in this category are; Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Solomon.

This is also in my KJV as well. so, do you disregard all that is written in all these books as poetry?

Well Ecclisatise is a bummer sometimes. A guy that hates life, but at the end he sees a reason to live. Psalms, no..I see a man of God with like feelings as we do. Very prophetic.
Proverbs, a mans wisdom, but Jesus said a man greater than Solomon is here.
Songs of Solomon? :blush:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ProAmerican

Veteran
Jun 1, 2005
✟1,696.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Did I ever say that God facilitates every bad thing that ever happens to people? No, I didn't.

But in the case of Job (and undoubtedly in other cases as well) God did facilitate certain things happening, and caused them to happen, either directly or indirectly.

Did God facilitate the killing of ALL the Amelikites (Deuteronomy 25:17-19), old women, young women, children, old men, young men, babies, when He told the Israelites to wipe ALL of them out? You tell me. Israel wasn't attacked by the babies and young women and young men, but God said to kill all of them anyway.

Did God (by reason of His edict) facilitate genocide?

There are some things we just cannot understand why God did what he did on this side of heaven. Why did God facilitate Genocide? Why did God facilitate what happened to Job? We just have to trust God completely, and trust that He knows what He is doing - Amalekites, Job and all.

In other verses in the OT, it says that the men (according to the laws of conquest) could take the young virgins for wives, while the Israelite men could kill the men [young, old, married, unmarried] and the women who were married.

Undoubtedly this taking of young virgins was for the purpose of marriage and sex.

But what kind of marriage was it? A forced marriage apparently. Is forced marriage rape? You tell me, QC.

Any answer at all QC? Hmmm?

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The book of job, Not God, said Job was considered by God to be a righteous man, and yet, to prove a point to satan, God let satan kill Job's kids, not a good God.

God flooded the world. Millions of children died. No one ever said He was a bad God. God is our creator and He will decide what to do according to His will. Pure and Simple. People have this strange idea that God will protect us all the time. They live in a fantasy world.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
IMO Job was word of mouth for so long, and finally written down, that it is possible that it does not paint a true picture of the nature of God. Job 2:3 for instance.

Job was not under any covenant of God that I can find. I don't know when he lived, before Abraham or when.

Many books, which give a true- er picture of God's nature have been left out of the protestant canon. I don't know why, except that men have ruled so.

If Job's picture of God is authentic, then Your kids and mine could be zapped at any time to prove a point to satan how righteous we are, because there is no shadow of turning with God, He changes not. So that gives me pause.

Jim from ohio, not sure what you meant by saying Job was tempted, that is not what I said, I said that God was tempted by satan. Job 2:3

Satan never tempted God. God started the conversation as "Have you considered my servant, Job......" Satan replied what he thought and God responded. Simple as that.

Job 1:6-12
One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it." Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil." "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face." The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger." Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
According to my Bible narrative at the beginning of Job by the writer, Job is written poeticly. And some writings of it are fragmented and incomplete. Some writings like the discourse in chapter 28, the Elihu material are considered added after the original texts. Chs. 32-37 and part of all the of Lords discourses 38-41. Chs. 24-27 are regarded as seriously disarraged. So if this be true, how can we come to any conclusions?

Bible narrative are opinions depending what kind of Bible you have. If any Word in the Bible true false, then the whole Bible is no good. People have the same issue with Creation and the Book of Genesis. Many have put Genesis and Job in the same catagory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If that's true, then the New Covenant is irrelevant.

God made a Covenant to Adam that the Messiah would come. God always had a Convenant. People just don't really study the word unless its apply to their lives.

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Yes, we can all throw out the New Testament, and just live the life of Job..no faith required, no promises, no word, no hope, we can muster up some fear that God at any moment is going to wipe us out and our children. Pity the person that asks someone what God is like. We can throw out the angels words too.."Peace on earth, goodwill towards men".. If you have goodwill towards someone their not covering you with boils, and killing your wife and children. Jesus showed just about as much goodwill towards man that He could possibly do by taking our punishment upon Himself.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, we can all throw out the New Testament, and just live the life of Job..no faith required, no hope, we can muster up some fear that God at any moment is going to wipe us out and our children. Pity the person that asks anybody what God is like. We can throw out the angels words too.."Peace on earth, goodwill towards men".. If you have goodwill towards someone your not covering you with boils, and killing your children.

I don't know.. because both Old and New are both important. The main problem is that people are selective reading the Old Testaments to work around their doctrines.

Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, we can all throw out the New Testament, and just live the life of Job..no faith required, no promises, no word, no hope, we can muster up some fear that God at any moment is going to wipe us out and our children. Pity the person that asks someone what God is like. We can throw out the angels words too.."Peace on earth, goodwill towards men".. If you have goodwill towards someone their not covering you with boils, and killing your wife and children. Jesus showed just about as much goodwill towards man that He could possibly do by taking our punishment upon Himself.

if Job had no faith then there would have been no need for his sacrifices and he would not have feared g-d.

Satan, i'm sure, enjoys doing the dirty work. There are angels that cause destruction and angels that instill peace and probably things beyond anything that you mind can possibly imagine. That is the point to Job. Who are you, we, to question anything that father does?

Jesus said that we can be forgiven of our sins, and to sin no more. Jesus said there are some that will not hear his word and those are the ones that are tempted and given into satan. Jesus specifically mentions that they will be tossed into the fire, the tares ya know.

Satan is here among us, tempting and deceiveing man, do not let satan make you think every liveing soul on earth will make it through the narrow path, this simply is not true.

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
if Job had no faith then there would have been no need for his sacrifices and he would not have feared g-d.

Satan, i'm sure, enjoys doing the dirty work. There are angels that cause destruction and angels that instill peace and probably things beyond anything that you mind can possibly imagine. That is the point to Job. Who are you, we, to question anything that father does?

Jesus said that we can be forgiven of our sins, and to sin no more. Jesus said there are some that will not hear his word and those are the ones that are tempted and given into satan. Jesus specifically mentions that they will be tossed into the fire, the tares ya know.

Satan is here among us, tempting and deceiveing man, do not let satan make you think every liveing soul on earth will make it through the narrow path, this simply is not true.
Yes, the wheat and the tares. They do exist..but what are we? I'm not a tare..it's not about me, its about Him. But here's the thing..we sound so confused. We talk about God giving permission to wipe out the ungodly, and men women and children, bring a flood and such, and in the same breath talk about how righteous Job was. So to read these posts this leads me to understand that many believe that God wipes out the righteous, and the ungodly. Doesn't sound like received mercy and grace to me for the Christian. We identify too much with the ungodly of this world, instead of identifying with Christ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.