Did Elijah die?

T

TruthSeeker2012

Elijah was a sinner yes? Is it a common belief that Elijah was caught up to heaven without having to die? If so....how so? How was he able to skip death?

Who told you he skipped death? The Bible doesn't say it, so where are you getting your information from?

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2Ki 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

It does say he went up into heaven, but WHICH heaven? Did you know the Bible talks about 3 different heavens? Did you know that?

And where does Bible say he remained in heaven?

Your comments contain a lot of ASSUMPTIONS.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

largeli

May 27, 2011
✟7,936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dude....what is your problem! My comments contain a lot of assumptions????? What comments???? I asked a couple questions!!!

I'm sooooo sick of the combative, chip on your shoulder, self righteous, always defensive, "Christian" crowd around here!!!

All you "Christians" are so ready to start a fight!

Reactions: Isatis
Upvote 0
C

Christownsme

Dude....what is your problem! My comments contain a lot of assumptions????? What comments???? I asked a couple questions!!!

I'm sooooo sick of the combative, chip on your shoulder, self righteous, always defensive, "Christian" crowd around here!!!

I'm referencing some new testament info from Matthew 17:10-13

Then the disciples asked Jesus, "Why do the teachers of the Law say Elijah has to come first?"
"Elijah is indeed coming first," answered Jesus, "and he will get everything ready. But I tell you that Elijah has already come and people did not recognize him, but treated him just as they pleased. In the same way they will also mistreat the Son of Man."
Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist.

So John the Baptist and Elijah have some connection, and I don't have the smarts to figure out what. It's a mystery to me, for sure.

Upvote 0

Victorium

Oct 21, 2009
Perth.
✟9,988.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
I copied and pasted this from: GotQuestions.org

Why did God take Enoch and Elijah? The Bible does not specifically give us the answer. Some speculate that they were taken in preparation for a role in the end times, possibly as the two witnesses in Revelation chapter 11:3-12. This is possible, but not explicitly taught in the Bible. It may be that God desired to save Enoch and Elijah from experiencing death due to their great faithfulness in serving and obeying Him. Whatever the case, God has His purpose, and while we don’t always understand God’s plans and purposes, we know that “His way is perfect” (Psalm 18:30).

Hope this answers your questions?

Victor.

Upvote 0

Biker Angel

Never coming back to this mad house
Sep 12, 2009
California
✟17,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Why did God take Enoch and Elijah? The Bible does not specifically give us the answer. Some speculate that they were taken in preparation for a role in the end times, possibly as the two witnesses in Revelation chapter 11:3-12. This is possible, but not explicitly taught in the Bible. It may be that God desired to save Enoch and Elijah from experiencing death due to their great faithfulness in serving and obeying Him. Whatever the case, God has His purpose, and while we don’t always understand God’s plans and purposes, we know that “His way is perfect” (Psalm 18:30).

Victor.
I like this answer.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Isatis

Disciple of Christ
Sep 12, 2011
✟21,193.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Victor.

Thanks Victor. :)

largeli
Some 900 years after Elijah's time, John stated that no one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man" (John:3:13). But how can we reconcile this scripture with 2 King 2:11, which states that "Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven" (2 Kings:2:11).

In fact, the Bible teaches that there are three "heavens" and in order to determine which heaven scripture talks about, we must carefully consider the context.

1) The atmospheric heaven that envelops the earth (Genesis:1:8).
2) The planetary heaven or what is commonly called "space" (Genesis:15:5).
3) The divine heaven or the location of God's throne (2 Corinthians:12:2). God's dwelling place where Jesus is today (Hebrews:8:1)

hope additional info helps :)

Upvote 0

lifesinsane

Life is insane!
Aug 24, 2011
Nowhere
✟7,646.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Elijah was a sinner yes? Is it a common belief that Elijah was caught up to heaven without having to die? If so....how so? How was he able to skip death?

God took him. Same as Enoch was taken. That is how and the why is clearly in the scriptures for all to read.

Upvote 0

Biker Angel

Never coming back to this mad house
Sep 12, 2009
California
✟17,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks Victor. :)

largeli
Some 900 years after Elijah's time, John stated that no one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man" (John:3:13). But how can we reconcile this scripture with 2 King 2:11, which states that "Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven" (2 Kings:2:11).

In fact, the Bible teaches that there are three "heavens" and in order to determine which heaven scripture talks about, we must carefully consider the context.

1) The atmospheric heaven that envelops the earth (Genesis:1:8).
2) The planetary heaven or what is commonly called "space" (Genesis:15:5).
3) The divine heaven or the location of God's throne (2 Corinthians:12:2). God's dwelling place where Jesus is today (Hebrews:8:1)

hope additional info helps :)

Well he (Elijah) can't be in #1 "atmospheric heaven" cause if he was, he would have been spotted by now (radar) and what would he be doing there anyway? #1 is earths atmosphere and would still be considered earth.

#2 is outer space and if he was floating around up there then he would be dead and burned up by the sun by now.

So it would have to be #3 "divine heaven" where Jesus is today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NOTurTypical

Out of the Closet Jesus Freak
Jun 29, 2011
Indianapolis
Visit site
✟8,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian

Precisely! Amen to that.

Upvote 0
T

TruthSeeker2012

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Matthew 7:1-4 1 “Do not judge so that you will not be judged. 2 For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. 3 Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye?[/FONT]

Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

largeli

May 27, 2011
✟7,936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Matthew 7:1-4 1 “Do not judge so that you will not be judged. 2 For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. 3 Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye?[/FONT]

Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

This isnt "Zoolander" and Im not gonna do the Christian version of a Zoolander male model "walk off" with you. We're not gonna have a "scripture walk off" or "scripture 'battle'" to pat your ego for the day...

I asked a question. Thats all I did. Whatever it is about my question that promted you to be rude and want to fight, Im sorry.

Upvote 0