Visit site
✟202,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think there is a tendency of many of us to get so entangled in the theological issues that we forget the more important aspect: the application of scriptural truth. I feel led to share a devotional message that I preached a few weeks ago in our Church regarding the second coming. I hope it is an encouragement to you.
Why do we need to be watching, looking and be ready for the Lord’s return?

Mat 24:43 know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
Mat 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

· It is easy to get caught up with the natural earthly responsibilities that we carry as humans and forget that there is a day coming in the future that we have to prepare for.
· It is easy to get caught up in Christian ministry and forget that there’s a day coming in the future that we have to prepare for.

But, in the midst of our busy lives, we should take time out to consider: Christians are expected to have their eyes towards the glorious climatic return of the Lord Jesus Christ.

The sad thing is, many seem to have:

· lost their anticipation of Christ’s return.
· lost their excitement about Christ’s return.
· lost their hope about Christ’s return.

Most Christians do not seem to be looking for Jesus. They’re more interested in earthly distractions or they’re caught up with looking for antichrist rather than Christ.

The problem is: we have put our tent pegs too deep in this life.

I have news for you: that beautiful house, that new vehicle, that beautiful sofa, that job that you love, etc, etc, is all going up in a puff of smoke real soon, along with the rest of this sin-cursed world.

Every so often I step back and look what I have, and I am blessed, but I have to remind myself that I only have it for a few years in this life, and then I’m out of here.

Scripture after Scripture, text after text, and writer after writer, in the Bible instructs us to prepare for that great final day. As you read throughout the New Testament, there is a constant admonition for God’s people to be watching, waiting and be ready for the Lord’s return. We saw that in our main passage this morning.

But how many are actually looking, anticipating, and yearning for that great and glorious day?

Listen to our Lord’s instruction to His people in the gospels.

Jesus said in Mark 13:35-37: Watch ye … for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.”

Jesus said in Luke 21:36: Watch … therefore, and pray always.”

Jesus admonished the Gentiles in Asia minor, in Revelation 3:3, “If … thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.”

He also said to the same audience in Revelation 16:15, Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth.”

In Revelation 19:7 He declared: Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.”

When you read the New Testament epistles and study their exhortations, you find the exact same instruction.

In 1 Thessalonians 5:4-5, Paul reminded the Greeks: “ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.”

Heb 9:28 unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Titus 2:13

13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ

The word translated “hope” here [Gr. elpis] means anticipation and expectation.

You and me are expected to be diligently looking out for our Blessed Hope.
So it might be wise to ask the question this morning, what is the “blessed hope” of God’s people?

Jesus coming in majesty, power and glory to overthrow every enemy and all wickedness, to exercise final and eternal justice, to regenerate this sin-cursed world, and introduce everlasting righteousness.

Why should believers be watching, looking and be ready for the Lord’s return?

1.It is at this glorious event that we will finally see Jesus face-to-face.
2.It is at this glorious event that we will see final and eternal justice.
3.It is there that that we will see the deliverance of all creation from the awful bondage of corruption.
4.It is there that we must give account for our lives before the throne of God.

Let us look at our 1st point:

(1) Why do we need to be watching, looking and be ready for the Lord’s return?

It is at this glorious event that we will finally see Jesus face-to-face.

The heart of every genuine Christian is to see Jesus Christ. The moment they give their life to Him they have a yearning to be close to Him. But there will be nothing to compare with the great day when Jesus appears and we join Him to be with Him forever.

Why?

Because we have already established a relationship with Him in this life. We know him personally! We love Him! We want to see Him!

While we enjoy a degree of intimacy down here, it is nothing to what it will be like when we are able to behold Him in our new perfected bodies. Listen to how the old hymn writer put it:

Raised with Him to endless life
He will hold me fast
Till our faith is turned to sight
When he comes at last.

There is something wrong if you do not have a desire to see Jesus. The religious phony does not possess that desire. They cannot even grasp why we Christians yearn to see Jesus face-to-face. Paul says in Philippians 1:21-24 (I will read it in the New King James Version):

21 For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
22 But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell.
23 For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better.
24 Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you.

Even when we approach death, we have this incredible comfort that when we breath our last breath we are going to see the Lord face-to-face. The heart of the believer is summed up in that old song:

What a day that will be
When my Jesus I shall see
When I look upon His face
The One who saved me by His grace
When He takes me by the hand
And leads me to the Promised Land
What a day, glorious day that will be

(2) Why do we need to be watching, looking and be ready for the Lord’s return?

It is at this glorious event that we will see final and eternal justice.

If you are looking for real justice in this life you’re probably going to be disappointed. There is much injustice all around us. According to Scripture, that will get worse and worse as the day approaches for Jesus to return.

We see the arrogant march of the Liberals today, including the LGBT community, wanting to force their wickedness on the rest of us. Liberalism has taken God out of the equation, or has corrupted what He says. When that happens, there is no such thing as right and wrong. Anything goes. All you have is lawlessness.

There is no value to human life. A baby in the womb is worthless and possesses no human rights whatsoever.

We are seeing an exponential growth in lawlessness in our land. That is what Liberalism produces. It is wicked and it is destructive. It has no boundaries. We see chaos, anarchy and violence prevailing in our day and it causes us to yearn within us for true justice.

Jesus said in Rev 22:20: Surely I come quickly.” And John immediately replied: Amen. Even so, come.” And we could all say a hearty amen to that!

Listen to the cry of the souls of the redeemed in heaven today in Revelation 6:10:

Rev 6:10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

The good news is: when Jesus comes He will address every wrong, overthrow every rebel and punish every injustice.

There is a solemn warning for the wicked, if they refuse the grace of God in this life: they will, as a consequence, encounter the justice of God when Jesus comes (X2). This is where God must give you what you deserve, which is eternal punishment.

For those who are not ready, the consequences are both unthinkable and irreversible.

There will only be two types of people on judgment day: those who say to God, “Thy will be done,” and those to whom God says to them, “Thy will be done.” One is welcomed into heaven, the other cast into hell.

Luke 13:24-30

24 many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:
26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.
27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.
28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth,

The great news about the Gospel message is: God wants you to experience His grace. Grace is God giving you what you do not deserve. But justice is God giving you what you deserve. Friend, I can assure you on the authority of this Book: God’s justice is not something anyone would want to experience.

If Jesus was to return today (and He could): either you will be welcomed into His presence with open arms because you embraced the cross of Jesus Christ or you will be damned and doomed for all eternity because you refused to accept His way of escape.

· The wicked go to the Lake of Fire because they love their sin rather than Jesus.
· The wicked go to the Lake of Fire because they think they do not need the cross.
· The wicked go to the Lake of Fire because they think they are smarter than God.

There is an awful cost when Jesus comes. They are going to be caught unprepared.

Mat 24:43 know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
Mat 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

Why do they miss it? They are not ready!

Christ describes this day as an unanticipated day for many – one that will find many unprepared. For those who are playing at religion they will be caught on.

The good news is: there is still time to change. The door of grace is still open.

(3) Why do we need to be watching, looking and be ready for the Lord’s return?

It is at this glorious event that we will see the deliverance of all creation from the awful bondage of corruption.

We are reminded every day of our fallen state, by looking at the gradual decay of our own bodies. Our aging bodies testify to the fact that we are dying. Every funeral we go to, every family member, friend, brother or sister we lose, reinforces the fact, we are all dying.

If you do not believe me that you are decaying then might I suggest that you look at a photograph of yourself 10 years ago, and tell me whether you look the same. You’d be shocked how many people put an old photograph up on Facebook or social media in order to give the impression that they are 10 years younger.

· Our hair is gradually going gray or falling out.
· Our skin is increasing with wrinkles.
· Our bones are stiffening up.
· Our muscles are weakening.
· Our bodily organs are starting to slow down.

There should be a desire within you to be delivered from the reality of decay and death. After all, these are punishments from the Garden of Eden which will be rectified when Jesus comes.

Paul cried in Romans 7:24:

Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

This is the cry of every sincere believer. He then answers his own question:

Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

John Knox died in 1572. Near the end he said he was “weary of this world and thirsting to depart.” This world can have this affect upon believers.

Peter looked forward by faith to an age approaching as an age when he will be a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed. (1 Peter 5:1).

He was talking about resurrection day, when Jesus comes.

John tells us in I John 3:1: when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.”

It is not only us - the people of God - that desire to see the end of corruption – namely, decay and death. All mankind does. Creation does as well. Everything around us is dying – animals, plant life, the earth, the planets.

Romans 8:19-23 says (I will quote it from the NKJV as it is more accurate): “For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God (that is the glorification of God elect) … the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body (that is the glorification of God elect).”

It doesn’t matter whether you are a Christian or not, no sane person likes the aging process of our bodies. No one likes the gradual loss of mobility and strength. But we cannot stop it.

It’s not just that we will be with Him but that we will be delivered from this sinful body when He arrives. That should be a burning desire within every heart of every believer.

The world is yearning for a perfect day.
The world is yearning for true peace.
The world is yearning for justice.

The world is yearning for a world without war, hatred, poverty, inequality, death, decay, sickness, pain and brokenness.

When you read Genesis 3:17-19 you cannot help but see the link between the creature and creation. When man fell then all creation felt the consequences and fell with him, equally, though, when man is finally glorified at Christ’s coming, being immediately and eternally freed from the “bondage of corruption” then all creation similarly parallels.

1 Corinthians 15:50 declares, “flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

See the connection between the creature and creation.

The new earth is glorified. We must therefore be suitably changed in order to qualify us to inherit it. Mortality cannot possess it. The wicked cannot possess it. This is why we should be looking and yearning for the return of Christ.

In Luke 20:34-36 Jesus basically compares the temporal imperfect state of this present age/world to the glory of the age/world to come. Jesus says: “The children of this world (or aion or age) marry, and are given in marriage: But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world (or aion or age), and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.”

This couldn’t be any clearer.

Those that are worthy to obtain the age to come are not mortals and not sinners; they are the glorified saints – who are said to never die. We cannot overlook the clear teaching that one must be “accounted worthy to obtain” the “world (or age)” to come. This is a very definite precondition for entering the new earth. That worthiness is obviously found in Christ.

Last edited:

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(4) Why do we need to be watching, looking and be ready for the Lord’s return?

It is at this glorious event that we must give account for our lives before the throne of God.

1 Peter 4:1-5 tells us that we “shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick (or the living) and the dead

We need to prepare to give an account of our life on this earth.

What do we have to account for? Surely by this stage we are good? Yes, your salvation is already long-determined before judgment. But you will have to account for:

· What you did with your time.
· What you did with your finances.
· What you did with your gifting’s and abilities.
· What you did with your opportunities.

How does it look for you? It is never too late to get your act together!

1 Corinthians 4:5 says, “judge nothing before the time, until the lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.”

There is a day coming when the spotlight is going to be shone upon your life. There’s going to be no excuses. There’s going to be no concealment. There’s going to be no hiding. There’s going to be no manipulation. The God that knows everything, even what do you think and what you feel, will be examining you on this day.

While this is not to determine your eternal abode, it will determine your reward.

1Co 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
1Co 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
1Co 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

There are many born-again believers that are going to get a massive shock at the judgment seat. They are going to be empty-handed. Everything they have done is going to go up in a puff of smoke.

The reason is: it was not done for the glory of God or for the betterment of others. There was no sacrifice. It was all for the benefit of self!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But, in the midst of our busy lives, we should take time out to consider: Christians are expected to have their eyes towards the glorious climatic return of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Most Christians do not seem to be looking for Jesus. They’re more interested in earthly distractions or they’re caught up with looking for antichrist rather than Christ.

The end of the world happens every day for someone. Every day. Eschatological concerns are nothing when it comes to that, as we know not at which hour WE will personally be standing to give account. THAT is why Gods Word and our salvation are important, and why its important we are ready at every minute of every day.

I say this not to diminish, but for you to realize...

Reactions: One Son
Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The end of the world happens every day for someone. Every day. Eschatological concerns are nothing when it comes to that, as we know not at which hour WE will personally be standing to give account. THAT is why Gods Word and our salvation are important, and why its important we are ready at every minute of every day.

I say this not to diminish, but for you to realize...

... but the Bible talks about a distinct end of time, sin, sinners, corruption, Satan, and all rebellion. That occurs at the coming of Christ.

Upvote 0

TribulationSigns

Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2017
Colorado
✟415,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
... but the Bible talks about a distinct end of time, sin, sinners, corruption, Satan, and all rebellion. That occurs at the coming of Christ.

Hebrews 9:27 KJV
[27] And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Yes, Hazelelponi, we already know that almost everyone will die on their appointed day before Christ returns. But what Sovereigngrace was saying from the Eschatology's point of view, when some PROFESSED Christians who expect Christ's soon coming, they should not get caught worrying about their worldly things or waste time arguing with someone over abortion, divorce, politics, social culture, and remarriage, homosexualities, inappropriate content, "IF" their life is not right with Christ at this moment. For example, beating up your wife, did not train your children, drinking, spiritually lazy, etc thinking you are "Christian" and not repent over these.

2 Peter 1:10 KJV
[10] Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

Hebrews 12:17 KJV
[17] For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 9:27 KJV
[27] And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Yes, Hazelelponi, we already know that almost everyone will die on their appointed day before Christ returns. But what Sovereigngrace was saying from the Eschatology's point of view, when some PROFESSED Christians who expect Christ's soon coming, they should not get caught worrying about their worldly things or waste time arguing with someone over abortion, divorce, politics, social culture, and remarriage, homosexualities, inappropriate content, "IF" their life is not right with Christ at this moment. For example, beating up your wife, did not train your children, drinking, spiritually lazy, etc thinking you are "Christian" and not repent over these.

2 Peter 1:10 KJV
[10] Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

Hebrews 12:17 KJV
[17] For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

We should live our lives in the light of that great and glorious day.

• Agree
Reactions: Marilyn C
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think there is a tendency of many of us to get so entangled in the theological issues that we forget the more important aspect: the application of scriptural truth. I feel led to share a devotional message that I preached a few weeks ago in our Church regarding the second coming. I hope it is an encouragement to you.
Why do we need to be watching, looking and be ready for the Lord’s return?

· It is easy to get caught up with the natural earthly responsibilities that we carry as humans and forget that there is a day coming in the future that we have to prepare for.
· It is easy to get caught up in Christian ministry and forget that there’s a day coming in the future that we have to prepare for.

The problem is: we have put our tent pegs too deep in this life.

I have news for you: that beautiful house, that new vehicle, that beautiful sofa, that job that you love, etc, etc, is all going up in a puff of smoke real soon, along with the rest of this sin-cursed world.

Every so often I step back and look what I have, and I am blessed, but I have to remind myself that I only have it for a few years in this life, and then I’m out of here.

Scripture after Scripture, text after text, and writer after writer, in the Bible instructs us to prepare for that great final day. As you read throughout the New Testament, there is a constant admonition for God’s people to be watching, waiting and be ready for the Lord’s return. We saw that in our main passage this morning.

But how many are actually looking, anticipating, and yearning for that great and glorious day?

Listen to our Lord’s instruction to His people in the gospels.

Jesus said in Mark 13:35-37: Watch ye … for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.”

Jesus said in Luke 21:36: Watch … therefore, and pray always.”

Jesus admonished the Gentiles in Asia minor, in Revelation 3:3, “If … thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.”

He also said to the same audience in Revelation 16:15, Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth.”

In Revelation 19:7 He declared: Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.”

When you read the New Testament epistles and study their exhortations, you find the exact same instruction.

In 1 Thessalonians 5:4-5, Paul reminded the Greeks: “ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.”

Heb 9:28 unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Titus 2:13

13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ

The word translated “hope” here [Gr. elpis] means anticipation and expectation.

You and me are expected to be diligently looking out for our Blessed Hope.
So it might be wise to ask the question this morning, what is the “blessed hope” of God’s people?

Jesus coming in majesty, power and glory to overthrow every enemy and all wickedness, to exercise final and eternal justice, to regenerate this sin-cursed world, and introduce everlasting righteousness.

Why should believers be watching, looking and be ready for the Lord’s return?

1.It is at this glorious event that we will finally see Jesus face-to-face.
2.It is at this glorious event that we will see final and eternal justice.
3.It is there that that we will see the deliverance of all creation from the awful bondage of corruption.
4.It is there that we must give account for our lives before the throne of God.

Let us look at our 1st point:

(1) Why do we need to be watching, looking and be ready for the Lord’s return?

It is at this glorious event that we will finally see Jesus face-to-face.

The heart of every genuine Christian is to see Jesus Christ. The moment they give their life to Him they have a yearning to be close to Him. But there will be nothing to compare with the great day when Jesus appears and we join Him to be with Him forever.

Why?

Because we have already established a relationship with Him in this life. We know him personally! We love Him! We want to see Him!

While we enjoy a degree of intimacy down here, it is nothing to what it will be like when we are able to behold Him in our new perfected bodies. Listen to how the old hymn writer put it:

Raised with Him to endless life
He will hold me fast
Till our faith is turned to sight
When he comes at last.

There is something wrong if you do not have a desire to see Jesus. The religious phony does not possess that desire. They cannot even grasp why we Christians yearn to see Jesus face-to-face. Paul says in Philippians 1:21-24 (I will read it in the New King James Version):

21 For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
22 But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell.
23 For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better.
24 Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you.

Even when we approach death, we have this incredible comfort that when we breath our last breath we are going to see the Lord face-to-face. The heart of the believer is summed up in that old song:

What a day that will be
When my Jesus I shall see
When I look upon His face
The One who saved me by His grace
When He takes me by the hand
And leads me to the Promised Land
What a day, glorious day that will be

(2) Why do we need to be watching, looking and be ready for the Lord’s return?

It is at this glorious event that we will see final and eternal justice.

If you are looking for real justice in this life you’re probably going to be disappointed. There is much injustice all around us. According to Scripture, that will get worse and worse as the day approaches for Jesus to return.

We see the arrogant march of the Liberals today, including the LGBT community, wanting to force their wickedness on the rest of us. Liberalism has taken God out of the equation, or has corrupted what He says. When that happens, there is no such thing as right and wrong. Anything goes. All you have is lawlessness.

There is no value to human life. A baby in the womb is worthless and possesses no human rights whatsoever.

We are seeing an exponential growth in lawlessness in our land. That is what Liberalism produces. It is wicked and it is destructive. It has no boundaries. We see chaos, anarchy and violence prevailing in our day and it causes us to yearn within us for true justice.

Jesus said in Rev 22:20: Surely I come quickly.” And John immediately replied: Amen. Even so, come.” And we could all say a hearty amen to that!

Listen to the cry of the souls of the redeemed in heaven today in Revelation 6:10:

Rev 6:10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

The good news is: when Jesus comes He will address every wrong, overthrow every rebel and punish every injustice.

There is a solemn warning for the wicked, if they refuse the grace of God in this life: they will, as a consequence, encounter the justice of God when Jesus comes (X2). This is where God must give you what you deserve, which is eternal punishment.

For those who are not ready, the consequences are both unthinkable and irreversible.

There will only be two types of people on judgment day: those who say to God, “Thy will be done,” and those to whom God says to them, “Thy will be done.” One is welcomed into heaven, the other cast into hell.

Luke 13:24-30

24 many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:
26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.
27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.
28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth,

The great news about the Gospel message is: God wants you to experience His grace. Grace is God giving you what you do not deserve. But justice is God giving you what you deserve. Friend, I can assure you on the authority of this Book: God’s justice is not something anyone would want to experience.

If Jesus was to return today (and He could): either you will be welcomed into His presence with open arms because you embraced the cross of Jesus Christ or you will be damned and doomed for all eternity because you refused to accept His way of escape.

· The wicked go to the Lake of Fire because they love their sin rather than Jesus.
· The wicked go to the Lake of Fire because they think they do not need the cross.
· The wicked go to the Lake of Fire because they think they are smarter than God.

There is an awful cost when Jesus comes. They are going to be caught unprepared.

Why do they miss it? They are not ready!

Christ describes this day as an unanticipated day for many – one that will find many unprepared. For those who are playing at religion they will be caught on.

The good news is: there is still time to change. The door of grace is still open.

(3) Why do we need to be watching, looking and be ready for the Lord’s return?

It is there that that we will see the deliverance of all creation from the awful bondage of corruption.

We are reminded every day of our fallen state, by looking at the gradual decay of our own bodies. Our ageing bodies testify to the fact that we are dying. Every funeral we go to, every family member, friend, brother or sister we lose, reinforces the fact, we are all dying.

If you do not believe me that you are decaying then might I suggest that you look at a photograph of yourself 10 years ago, and tell me whether you look the same. You’d be shocked how many people put an old photograph up on Facebook or social media in order to give the impression that they are 10 years younger.

· Our hair is gradually going gray or falling out.
· Our skin is increasing with wrinkles.
· Our bones are stiffening up.
· Our muscles are weakening.
· Our bodily organs are starting to slow down.

There should be a desire within you to be delivered from the reality of decay and death. After all, these are punishments from the Garden of Eden which will be rectified when Jesus comes.

Paul cried in Romans 7:24:

Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

This is the cry of every sincere believer. He then answers his own question:

Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

John Knox died in 1572. Near the end he said he was “weary of this world and thirsting to depart.” This world can have this affect upon believers.

Peter looked forward by faith to an age approaching as an age when he will be a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed. (1 Peter 5:1).

He was talking about resurrection day, when Jesus comes.

John tells us in I John 3:1: when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.”

It is not only us - the people of God - that desire to see the end of corruption – namely, decay and death. All mankind does. Creation does as well. Everything around us is dying – animals, plant life, the earth, the planets.

Romans 8:19-23 says (I will quote it from the NKJV as it is more accurate): “For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God (that is the glorification of God elect) … the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body (that is the glorification of God elect).”

It doesn’t matter whether you are a Christian or not, no sane person likes the aging process of our bodies. No one likes the gradual loss of mobility and strength. But we cannot stop it.

It’s not just that we will be with Him but that we will be delivered from this sinful body when He arrives. That should be a burning desire within every heart of every believer.

The world is yearning for a perfect day.
The world is yearning for true peace.
The world is yearning for justice.

The world is yearning for a world without war, hatred, poverty, inequality, death, decay, sickness, pain and brokenness.

When you read Genesis 3:17-19 you cannot help but see the link between the creature and creation. When man fell then all creation felt the consequences and fell with him, equally, though, when man is finally glorified at Christ’s coming, being immediately and eternally freed from the “bondage of corruption” then all creation similarly parallels.

1 Corinthians 15:50 declares, “flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

See the connection between the creature and creation.

The new earth is glorified. We must therefore be suitably changed in order to qualify us to inherit it. Mortality cannot possess it. The wicked cannot possess it. This is why we should be looking and yearning for the return of Christ.

In Luke 20:34-36 Jesus basically compares the temporal imperfect state of this present age/world to the glory of the age/world to come. Jesus says: “The children of this world (or aion or age) marry, and are given in marriage: But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world (or aion or age), and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.”

This couldn’t be any clearer.

Those that are worthy to obtain the age to come are not mortals and not sinners; they are the glorified saints – who are said to never die. We cannot overlook the clear teaching that one must be “accounted worthy to obtain” the “world (or age)” to come. This is a very definite precondition for entering the new earth. That worthiness is obviously found in Christ.
Thank you for sharing an encouraging message and your gospel.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Yes... but that's not the most important part... the most important part is that we are here to share the Gospel of Christ, and we dont know at what time we will be standing to give account, without any warning for many.

It is to us to make sure people are ready for that day, irregardless of anything else... the later book gives us hope and faith in our hour of need that all has been conquered, and we serve the one True God....

It is this day we are required to live in His Name.

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes... but that's not the most important part... the most important part is that we are here to share the Gospel of Christ, and we dont know at what time we will be standing to give account, without any warning for many.

It is to us to make sure people are ready for that day, irregardless of anything else... the later book gives us hope and faith in our hour of need that all has been conquered, and we serve the one True God....

It is this day we are required to live in His Name.

I do not disagree. But Scripture overwhelmingly (as I mentioned above), instructs us to be looking, watching and be ready for His return. Fact!

• Agree
Reactions: Marilyn C
Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
(4) Why do we need to be watching, looking and be ready for the Lord’s return?

It is at this glorious event that we must give account for our lives before the throne of God.

1 Peter 4:1-5 tells us that we “shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick (or the living) and the dead

We need to prepare to give an account of our life on this earth.

What do we have to account for? Surely by this stage we are good? Yes, your salvation is already long determined before judgment. But you will have to account for:

· What you did with your time.
· What you did with your finances.
· What you did with your gifting’s and abilities.
· What you did with your opportunities.

How does it look for you? It is never too late to get your act together!

1 Corinthians 4:5 says, “judge nothing before the time, until the lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.”

There is a day coming when the spotlight is going to be shown upon your life. There’s going to be no excuses. There’s going to be no concealment. There’s going to be no hiding. There’s going to be no manipulation. The God that knows everything, even what do you think and what you feel, will be examining you on this day.

While this is not to determine your eternal abode, it will determine your reward.

1Co 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
1Co 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
1Co 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

There are many born-again believers that are going to get a massive shock at the judgment seat. They are going to be empty-handed. Everything they have done is going to go up in a puff of smoke.

The reason is: it was not done for the glory of God or for the betterment of others. There was no sacrifice. It was all for the benefit of self!
Could you please help me understand what 1 Cor 3:11-15 is saying. It seems to be describing a time when believers are judged according to their works.

My understanding is, that all believers are saved but we all receive different rewards. So the believer who laboured hard and bore much fruit for the Lord will receive a great reward, while the slothful lazy believer will receive little or no reward but he will still inherit the Kingdom.

My understanding is the lost sinners will also receive various degrees of punishment, so the mass murderer would go into the pits of hell while the benevolent unbeliever who lived a good life in the eyes of the world would go into the cooler parts of hell.

The Bible also says, "to whom much is given, the same shall much be required of". Many of us don't have the opportunity or talent to go out into the field and gather the great harvest. I find myself working long hours to support my family, so it doesn't leave me much time for anything else.

I pray for gospel opportunities, because I don't want to be a minimalist Christian. I would like to do as much as possible for the Lord, but I need to figure out how to prioritise my church life and work life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could you please help me understand what 1 Cor 3:11-15 is saying. It seems to be describing a time when believers are judged according to their works.

My understanding is, that all believers are saved but we all receive different rewards. So the believer who laboured hard and bore much fruit for the Lord will receive a great reward, while the slothful lazy believer will receive little or no reward but he will still inherit the Kingdom.

My understanding is the lost sinners will also receive various degrees of punishment, so the mass murderer would go into the pits of hell while the benevolent unbeliever who lived a good life in the eyes of the world would go into the cooler parts of hell.

The Bible also says, "to whom much is given, the same shall much be required of". Many of us don't have the opportunity or talent to go out into the field and gather the great harvest. I find myself working long hours to support my family, so it doesn't leave me much time for anything else.

I pray for gospel opportunities, because I don't want to be a minimalist Christian. I would like to do as much as possible for the Lord, but I need to figure out how to prioritise my church life and work life.

Great questions! Here are some notes from a sermon I preached a few years ago.

Jesus splits believers into 3 distinct groups. Mark 4:20 tells us, speaking about the genuine believer: these are they which are sown on good ground; such as (1) hear the word, and (2) receive it, and (3) bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred.”

Whilst Christ recognises that not all believers are at the same level of maturity and will therefore not have the same reward, he does make clear that there are certain elementary traits that mark all believers: (1) “hear the word,” (2) “receive it” and (3) “bring forth fruit”

Scripture also compares the spiritual growth of a believer to the natural growth of a man and the natural growth of a cob of corn – splitting maturity levels into 3 categories for both.

1 John 2:12-13 the Bible talks about little children, young men and fathers.

“The blade, then the ear, after that the full corn”

Jesus also talks about three stages of growth in Mark 4:26 talking about the kingdom of God. He uses the development of corn to the development of a believer spiritually.

He starts, “So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground;

Jesus sums this thought up in Mark 4:28 by describing the progress of the corn. He illustrates: “For the earth bringeth forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear.”

If you feel you are a blade ask God to mature you to an ear. If you feel you are an ear ask God to mature you to full corn.

The degree you let God mould you and use you will determine your maturity level in this life and the life to come!

The Bible shows that not all believers shine the same in this life. Well it is likewise in the glorification (or perfecting of our bodies) on resurrection day.

When it comes to resurrection day, the Bible again seems to split believers into 3 camps again comparing the glorified saints to the natural lights that light up this world. 1 Corinthians 15:41-42 confirms, “There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead.”

Barnes in his commentary states: “by negligence or unfaithfulness in duty we may be deprived of the glory which we might have obtained if we had been faithful to our God and Saviour.

That is as far as we got last wk.

“Gold, silver, precious stones”

1 Corinthians 3:11-15 says something similar to my Olympic illustration in regard to judgement day. I will read it in the NKJV:

11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

This whole passage is speaking of judgment day. It is talking about that great final day when our service will be examined by ‘the judge of all the earth Jesus Christ’ and graded according to that which was God and that which was self.

Your life, all your religious works or your spiritual activities will be measured to determine your reward.

Your commitment to God, your obedience to His commands, your service for Jesus Christ will all be judged someday soon and evaluated according to its merit.

Whilst we are looking at this please note it doesn’t say gold, silver and bronze, it says “gold, silver, precious stones.”

Why not gold, silver and bronze?

Bronze is not a pure God-made metal. Anything that is man or man-made could not endure the flames. Gold, silver, precious stones are all made by God and will survive the fire. They are enduring, they are eternal.

Bronze is typically 88% copper and 12% tin. It is man-made. Friend, this is telling me, the only things that will matter and will be part of your reward are those that are 100% God. We have all done things – including religious things – that were part God and part us, friend they are not acceptable. Only that which emanates from the heart of God will abide the fire.

What is difference between gold, silver and precious stones service and wood, hay, stubble service when stuck in a fire?

The 3 metals here “gold, silver and precious stones” are quality materials, fit to endure fire. They relate to degrees of faithful obedience we performed in this life. Conversely, “wood, hay and stubble” are lower materials, which are not “fireproof.”

If you want to be on the front row of heaven you must ask these questions. You need to evaluate your service, your maturity and attitude.

In Luke 19:12-21 Jesus describes 3 types of men on Judgment Day. All were given one pound and expected to increase it for God’s glory. This is not talking about money. It is a parable. I believe it relates to the abilities God given us and the opportunities we had to shine for Him. Essentially, did you do what God wanted you to do in life? Were you Christ-centred or self-centred?

16 Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds.
17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities.
18 And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds.
19 And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities.
20 And another came, saying, Lord, behold, here is thy pound, which I have kept laid up in a napkin… (He didn’t do anything with what God had given him)

23 Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury?
24 And he said unto them that stood by, Take from him the pound, and give it to him that hath ten pounds

26 For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.

The parallel parable in Matt 25:18 calls this last man “slothful.” It says he “went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.”

Luke 11:33

33 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light.

What this is saying is that God doesn’t look lightly on those that refuse to let their light shine down here. The degree to which you shine down here will mirror the degree to which you shine up there.

When we look at the Jewish temple in the Old Testament we get a small insight into what heaven will be like.

Hebrews 8:5 tells us that the temple, it symbolism, and its rituals served as an imperfect “example and shadow of heavenly things.”

Heb 9:24

24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:

The English word here interpreted “figures” is the Greek word tupos (too'-pos), meaning ‘a resemblance, a sampler, a type, a model, an imitation, an example, a copy or a print’.

This would seem to reinforce what other Scripture seems to say about three types of Christian.

Another thing that is interesting whilst on the subject of the Old Testament temple is that there were three different levels of light.

1. The Outer Court: Natural Light.
2. Holy Place: Light from the lamp stand.
3. Holy Of Holies: The Glory of God (Shekinah)

Could this be another picture of those who make it to heaven?

If the Old Testament temple is a type of heaven then could some believers be in the Outer Court as it were, some in the Holy Place and others in the Holy Of Holies?

The amount of light we display must determine our reward!

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'd like to hear you preach it. Did you know about the 'media' button when posting?​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Great questions! Here are some notes from a sermon I preached a few years ago.

Jesus splits believers into 3 distinct groups. Mark 4:20 tells us, speaking about the genuine believer: these are they which are sown on good ground; such as (1) hear the word, and (2) receive it, and (3) bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred.”

Whilst Christ recognises that not all believers are at the same level of maturity and will therefore not have the same reward, he does make clear that there are certain elementary traits that mark all believers: (1) “hear the word,” (2) “receive it” and (3) “bring forth fruit”

Scripture also compares the spiritual growth of a believer to the natural growth of a man and the natural growth of a cob of corn – splitting maturity levels into 3 categories for both.

1 John 2:12-13 the Bible talks about little children, young men and fathers.

“The blade, then the ear, after that the full corn”

Jesus also talks about three stages of growth in Mark 4:26 talking about the kingdom of God. He uses the development of corn to the development of a believer spiritually.

He starts, “So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground;

Jesus sums this thought up in Mark 4:28 by describing the progress of the corn. He illustrates: “For the earth bringeth forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear.”

If you feel you are a blade ask God to mature you to an ear. If you feel you are an ear ask God to mature you to full corn.

The degree you let God mould you and use you will determine your maturity level in this life and the life to come!

The Bible shows that not all believers shine the same in this life. Well it is likewise in the glorification (or perfecting of our bodies) on resurrection day.

When it comes to resurrection day, the Bible again seems to split believers into 3 camps again comparing the glorified saints to the natural lights that light up this world. 1 Corinthians 15:41-42 confirms, “There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead.”

Barnes in his commentary states: “by negligence or unfaithfulness in duty we may be deprived of the glory which we might have obtained if we had been faithful to our God and Saviour.

That is as far as we got last wk.

“Gold, silver, precious stones”

1 Corinthians 3:11-15 says something similar to my Olympic illustration in regard to judgement day. I will read it in the NKJV:

11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

This whole passage is speaking of judgment day. It is talking about that great final day when our service will be examined by ‘the judge of all the earth Jesus Christ’ and graded according to that which was God and that which was self.

Your life, all your religious works or your spiritual activities will be measured to determine your reward.

Your commitment to God, your obedience to His commands, your service for Jesus Christ will all be judged someday soon and evaluated according to its merit.

Whilst we are looking at this please note it doesn’t say gold, silver and bronze, it says “gold, silver, precious stones.”

Why not gold, silver and bronze?

Bronze is not a pure God-made metal. Anything that is man or man-made could not endure the flames. Gold, silver, precious stones are all made by God and will survive the fire. They are enduring, they are eternal.

Bronze is typically 88% copper and 12% tin. It is man-made. Friend, this is telling me, the only things that will matter and will be part of your reward are those that are 100% God. We have all done things – including religious things – that were part God and part us, friend they are not acceptable. Only that which emanates from the heart of God will abide the fire.

What is difference between gold, silver and precious stones service and wood, hay, stubble service when stuck in a fire?

The 3 metals here “gold, silver and precious stones” are quality materials, fit to endure fire. They relate to degrees of faithful obedience we performed in this life. Conversely, “wood, hay and stubble” are lower materials, which are not “fireproof.”

If you want to be on the front row of heaven you must ask these questions. You need to evaluate your service, your maturity and attitude.

In Luke 19:12-21 Jesus describes 3 types of men on Judgment Day. All were given one pound and expected to increase it for God’s glory. This is not talking about money. It is a parable. I believe it relates to the abilities God given us and the opportunities we had to shine for Him. Essentially, did you do what God wanted you to do in life? Were you Christ-centred or self-centred?

16 Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds.
17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities.
18 And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds.
19 And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities.
20 And another came, saying, Lord, behold, here is thy pound, which I have kept laid up in a napkin… (He didn’t do anything with what God had given him)

23 Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury?
24 And he said unto them that stood by, Take from him the pound, and give it to him that hath ten pounds

26 For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.

The parallel parable in Matt 25:18 calls this last man “slothful.” It says he “went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.”

Luke 11:33

33 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light.

What this is saying is that God doesn’t look lightly on those that refuse to let their light shine down here. The degree to which you shine down here will mirror the degree to which you shine up there.

When we look at the Jewish temple in the Old Testament we get a small insight into what heaven will be like.

Hebrews 8:5 tells us that the temple, it symbolism, and its rituals served as an imperfect “example and shadow of heavenly things.”

Heb 9:24

24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:

The English word here interpreted “figures” is the Greek word tupos (too'-pos), meaning ‘a resemblance, a sampler, a type, a model, an imitation, an example, a copy or a print’.

This would seem to reinforce what other Scripture seems to say about three types of Christian.

Another thing that is interesting whilst on the subject of the Old Testament temple is that there were three different levels of light.

1. The Outer Court: Natural Light.
2. Holy Place: Light from the lamp stand.
3. Holy Of Holies: The Glory of God (Shekinah)

Could this be another picture of those who make it to heaven?

If the Old Testament temple is a type of heaven then could some believers be in the Outer Court as it were, some in the Holy Place and others in the Holy Of Holies?

The amount of light we display must determine our reward!
I thank you for taking the time to answer my question so thoroughly. I'd just like to ask one more question, if you don't mind.

I've been wrestling with an overwhelming sense of guilt and I don't feel worthy of calling myself a Christian, because I haven't done much for the Lord since He saved me.

The Lord brought me to repentance and regenerated me about 6 years ago. I called out to the Lord, when I found myself in a deeply depraved sinful state. I was truly dead in my sins and trespasses and I didn't believe that it was possible to save someone in my condition.

I would rather not go into the nature of the sins I was enslaved to, but sufficed to say they were extremely grievous. Most of my family, friends and relatives had lost all respect for me so when I tried to share the Gospel with them they didn't receive it and they looked upon me as a hypocrite or as if I had some hidden agenda.

I still haven't won anybody for Christ, since my conversion. I have a bad account with people outside of the Church, because of my history so the only opportunities I've had have been with our door knocking outreach ministry. That's also difficult because most people don't want to hear anything, they think we're Jehovah's Witnesses so they don't give us a chance to share the Gospel with them.

I feel a great burden to share the Gospel with as many people as possible, but I find it quite difficult to create Gospel opportunities. I don't have a clear sense of how God would have me prioritize my time. It's easy to be swept up with the cares of this world, and time gets away so quickly that it leaves me feeling overwhelmed.

The Spirit is willing but my flesh is weak, so I'm not expecting you to give me a simple answer in a nut shell. You may be able to point me to some scriptures, which would encourage me to serve the Lord more effectively and bring Him some glory.

God has blessed me above measure, I can't even begin to describe the love and mercy He has poured out on me. So my burden is to bring as much honor and glory to His Name as possible but I haven't achieved anything thus far.

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thank you for taking the time to answer my question so thoroughly. I'd just like to ask one more question, if you don't mind.

I've been wrestling with an overwhelming sense of guilt and I don't feel worthy of calling myself a Christian, because I haven't done much for the Lord since He saved me.

The Lord brought me to repentance and regenerated me about 6 years ago. I called out to the Lord, when I found myself in a deeply depraved sinful state. I was truly dead in my sins and trespasses and I didn't believe that it was possible to save someone in my condition.

I would rather not go into the nature of the sins I was enslaved to, but sufficed to say they were extremely grievous. Most of my family, friends and relatives had lost all respect for me so when I tried to share the Gospel with them they didn't receive it and they looked upon me as a hypocrite or as if I had some hidden agenda.

I still haven't won anybody for Christ, since my conversion. I have a bad account with people outside of the Church, because of my history so the only opportunities I've had have been with our door knocking outreach ministry. That's also difficult because most people don't want to hear anything, they think we're Jehovah's Witnesses so they don't give us a chance to share the Gospel with them.

I feel a great burden to share the Gospel with as many people as possible, but I find it quite difficult to create Gospel opportunities. I don't have a clear sense of how God would have me prioritize my time. It's easy to be swept up with the cares of this world, and time gets away so quickly that it leaves me feeling overwhelmed.

The Spirit is willing but my flesh is weak, so I'm not expecting you to give me a simple answer in a nut shell. You may be able to point me to some scriptures, which would encourage me to serve the Lord more effectively and bring Him some glory.

God has blessed me above measure, I can't even begin to describe the love and mercy He has poured out on me. So my burden is to bring as much honor and glory to His Name as possible but I haven't achieved anything thus far.

It all starts from being close to the Lord. You need to find your contentment in Him. Fruit is not just souls being saved through us, but being a faithful witness when God creates opportunities. Let God open the doors. Trust Him to do the right thing at the right time. Your responsibilty is just respond to what He brings across your path.

Reactions: Dan1988
Upvote 0