Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I discovered that religious faith was strongly rooted to my own depression. I believe in a mysterious higher power, but I see religion as a way for human societies to try to explain it. Freeing myself of that was one of the greatest things ever. I also associate religion with an attachment to our parents. You can still attend church, just don't buy into all of the unknown things that they claim to explain to you. That's the just the human ego projecting itself onto the divine.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...But as far as psychologically helpful churches I see the Word Faith, Mainline Protestant, and Charismatic being the most helpful to people. As long as you can distance yourself from the "statement of belief" and just look at it as a symbolic thing. They are truly focused on helping their members.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Also, I think that some people in churches are depressed without even realizing it. They are trying to conform their minds to a belief system that they might have issues with internally (such as eternal judgement). They don't realize that some people can more easily believe in certain things due to their personality type. Your personality type affects the way your brain perceives things.

I think the Bible was written with very symbolic stories. But over time those stories have been reinterpreted literally, because most people in general don't have the ability to rationally see such a story the way the original author intended. The stories in the Bible are parables, as Jesus himself said. Or at least was said by the character using his name in that particular story.

Upvote 0