• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Depression: Breaking the Cycle?

GraceTruthLove

Christian
Apr 26, 2014
✟35,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello All,

My struggle is fear. I want to live a decent life, but I am terrified of the future. I sometimes wonder why God had me born in times like these. Furthermore, I have parents and an autistic brother who are not in the best financial position. I feel certain I will need to help them someday, which I do not mind, but I have no idea how I will have the money to really help. I have put the idea of having my own family on the back burner because of this.

God is faithful and He provides - I've seen it over an over again. Yet I struggle to believe that "my God will supply all your needs according to his glorious riches in Jesus Christ."

This fear and the feelings of hopeless desperation culminate in a state of depression I've lived in for years. For awhile I was doing better - much better. Then I started paying attention to current events and thinking about the future in overdrive again. I am back in the dark depression hole. Taking my thoughts captive and trusting God both feel impossible. I can't keep living like this. Something has to change. Something has to give.

Advice and prayers appreciated.

AllDayFaith

Sep 15, 2018
Spring Hill
Visit site
✟76,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I feel for ya, I know how tough it is to overcome. But rest assured this trial will refine you into pure gold. How does God refine us? With fire. So remain faithful and stick to the word and you will be just fine. Worry is actually put in your mind by the enemy, you have to combat that with scripture. At the base of worry is fear, and at the base of fear is condemnation. Start by telling yourself you and your loved ones will never be condemned because you believe. Once that is a rock solid belief the fear and worry will go away.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hello All,

My struggle is fear. I want to live a decent life, but I am terrified of the future. I sometimes wonder why God had me born in times like these. Furthermore, I have parents and an autistic brother who are not in the best financial position. I feel certain I will need to help them someday, which I do not mind, but I have no idea how I will have the money to really help. I have put the idea of having my own family on the back burner because of this.

God is faithful and He provides - I've seen it over an over again. Yet I struggle to believe that "my God will supply all your needs according to his glorious riches in Jesus Christ."

This fear and the feelings of hopeless desperation culminate in a state of depression I've lived in for years. For awhile I was doing better - much better. Then I started paying attention to current events and thinking about the future in overdrive again. I am back in the dark depression hole. Taking my thoughts captive and trusting God both feel impossible. I can't keep living like this. Something has to change. Something has to give.

It's perfectly normal to be depresses in that situation. I've been in a similar situation for many years now, but I'm over the depression.

We live in a fallen world, filled with suffering and joy simultaneously.
The world is the way it is because of sin, I'm not referring to your sin but sin in general.

Sickness, poverty, war, crime, drug addiction, suicide and every other bad thing came into the world because of sin. You might wonder why unbelievers seem to prosper and really enjoy life.

It's really important to remember that God owns every single thing and person in the universe, He has full control over everything. Things may appear to be out of control, but they're not at all.

God knows your situation and He watches over you all the time. He's preparing you and every other believer, to inherit His Kingdom where you'll be walking on streets of pure gold and your mansion will be decorated with large diamonds.

Until then, you need to run your race and remain faithful to the end. This life and all of it's troubles will be over before you know it, just hang in there and pray as often as you can.

I'd still be depressed, if I stored my treasures in this world. I've suffered all kinds of terrible things and some are still going on and will probably continue for the rest of my life. My brother recently died in tragic circumstances and my family was facing financial hardship and health problems.

So I can understand your pain, but please trust In the Lord to see you through everything. He will provide you with everything you need to keep you on the road to paradise, but don't expect to find paradise in this fallen world.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello All,

Try to focus on positive things ... in prayer thank the Lord for the positive things in your life ... no matter how small ... ask Him to bring peace to you heart and mind.

There is a lot going on in the world that is depressing ... fill your mind and heart with Him ... every day ... focus on Him and not the world.

What Does the Bible Say About Gods Love?

May the Lord bring you peace of mind. In Jesus name ... Amen.

Philippians 4:6
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Upvote 0

B8t6

Sep 28, 2019
Sheffield
✟2,997.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I really struggle with a spirit of fear and the root of it is fear of future torment as I fear being sent to hell trapped there after death. I know all the scripture verses but I have a sensation of impending judgement through feeling unable to live up to the scriptures which causes me to have these sensations. I'm battling this fear mixed with other draining emotions and somehow functioning and working through it all and supporting myself without medication or much human support from supposed friends. I write poems to Jesus at times trying to deal with it all. I feel for you and hope the times of healing come soon

Ecclesiastes 3:3 (KJV)

3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then I started paying attention to current events and thinking about the future in overdrive again. I am back in the dark depression hole. Taking my thoughts captive and trusting God both feel impossible. I can't keep living like this. Something has to change. Something has to give.

It is clear that because you followed current affairs you began to fear again. A lot of people fear, current affairs and the news media make sure of that. A fearing population is much easier to control.

The bible warns us not to be worldly for good reason. God knows that it will bring us mental and spiritual torture. Its best to throw your TV out of the window, or be like me and only use it to look at videos.

The best is to fight all worrying thoughts and feelings with Jesus advise not to worry about tomorrow for today has enough problems.

Take a day at the time and begin to trust Jesus at His word. Each time you begin to speculate about the future your reprimand satan and thank Jesus for being Lord over all. Thank Him for salvation and seek out your salvation instead of fearing speculations and letting them hold you back.

God doesn't want us to speculate about the future but wants us to put our faith and trust in His love. Go to Jesus with your fears and let Him dismantle them one by one with the truth of His word. When you believe and trust The Word more than the lies from the news media and the world around you, you will be healed and in much better spiritual health than you are now.

Battle for the faith, take every thought captive with the words of Christ and let him set you free.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really struggle with a spirit of fear and the root of it is fear of future torment as I fear being sent to hell trapped there after death.

Have you called out to the Lord? For then Scripture says you shall be saved! Acts 2:21 "And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’"

Honest brother i know your affliction for i suffered from the same fears for many years the trick is to look at Jesus and not yourself in sin. Now, instead of being fearful for hell, when i see that i fall short of requirements i thank Jesus with thankful heart for His salvation, and ask Him humbly to mould me into His image.

The battle is the emotion fear and the lies that it sprouts about God hating you and going to punish you with eternal fire.

So instead of heeding your fears, heed faith in God's love and experience the difference.

:hug:

Feasting My Good Life.

The Wicked captivated my truth
the truth of my heart and mind
and wound me around their lies
knotted me out of my own reality
into the dungeons of torture below.

Unable to unravel their cob webs
the wicked took control of my life
and brought much pain and misery
feasting on my God given good life
at the expense of my own welfare.

Yet when Christ light lit up my night
and i saw Him on the clouds of heaven
The Wicked sprung all their traps
thinking i was as good as dead
trapped in their nasty fowler's nets.

Yet the Lion of the tribe of Judea
killed the goats great and small
and set me free from their control
and gave me back my freedom in Him
feasting good times growing New Life.

Upvote 0

B8t6

Sep 28, 2019
Sheffield
✟2,997.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thankyou for the encouragement Jeshu, I'm trying to force myself to listen to Audio bible at times as my mind is like a minefield and hopefully the word of God will clear things up. That's a big battle to do as the enemy attacks with terrible emotions and thoughts when you do it but I know Gods word is supernatural food and demons hate the light of the word. I've been so demonized at times feeling demonic presence and felt the supernatural effect of Goes word pour into my spirit so I know that the word of God feeds the human spirit in ways that Cant be explained but somehow we get deceived away from it.

Its a very complex battle that I'm in but I'm sure we all have our unique situations and mountains to climb so may Jesus help us all. Also id advise others to do the same, make yourself listen to audio bible. Good free version below through app you can download on your phone

Take a look at "Bible: Dramatized Audio Bibles"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.faithcomesbyhearing.android.bibleis

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thankyou for the encouragement Jeshu, I'm trying to force myself to listen to Audio bible at times as my mind is like a minefield and hopefully the word of God will clear things up. That's a big battle to do as the enemy attacks with terrible emotions and thoughts when you do it but I know Gods word is supernatural food and demons hate the light of the word. I've been so demonized at times feeling demonic presence and felt the supernatural effect of Goes word pour into my spirit so I know that the word of God feeds the human spirit in ways that Cant be explained but somehow we get deceived away from it.

Its a very complex battle that I'm in but I'm sure we all have our unique situations and mountains to climb so may Jesus help us all. Also id advise others to do the same, make yourself listen to audio bible. Good free version below through app you can download on your phone

Take a look at "Bible: Dramatized Audio Bibles"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.faithcomesbyhearing.android.bibleis

Great to see you have a good perspective. Yes indeed get the bible into your brother, the living word is what you are after. Now you have thoughts and voices that scare you away from God but the living word brings us to God. The living word is the Word spoken in the Spirit of Love, so much better than the accuser, He grows into us when we have faith in Jesus' truths. The bible is my life line, its truths guard me day by day.

Upvote 0

GraceTruthLove

Christian
Apr 26, 2014
✟35,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's perfectly normal to be depresses in that situation. I've been in a similar situation for many years now, but I'm over the depression.

We live in a fallen world, filled with suffering and joy simultaneously.
The world is the way it is because of sin, I'm not referring to your sin but sin in general.

Sickness, poverty, war, crime, drug addiction, suicide and every other bad thing came into the world because of sin. You might wonder why unbelievers seem to prosper and really enjoy life.

It's really important to remember that God owns every single thing and person in the universe, He has full control over everything. Things may appear to be out of control, but they're not at all.

God knows your situation and He watches over you all the time. He's preparing you and every other believer, to inherit His Kingdom where you'll be walking on streets of pure gold and your mansion will be decorated with large diamonds.

Until then, you need to run your race and remain faithful to the end. This life and all of it's troubles will be over before you know it, just hang in there and pray as often as you can.

I'd still be depressed, if I stored my treasures in this world. I've suffered all kinds of terrible things and some are still going on and will probably continue for the rest of my life. My brother recently died in tragic circumstances and my family was facing financial hardship and health problems.

So I can understand your pain, but please trust In the Lord to see you through everything. He will provide you with everything you need to keep you on the road to paradise, but don't expect to find paradise in this fallen world.

I am sorry to hear about your brother and your family. I worry about a possible future condition, but you are already dealing with something much heavier. I will pray for your family.

Thank you for your post overall, as it really resonated with me. After all, this life and its struggles are short - real life will be forever, and it will be good thanks to Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums