Denying Ourselves and Picking Up Our Crosses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilarious

Jun 21, 2017
Canada
✟8,386.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
When it comes to verses like Luke 9:23, Luke 14:26-33, Matthew 19:16-22 and so on, it surely makes us think about our lifestyles, especially in young newbies in Christ. The cross is a symbol of death and suffering and Christ requires us to pick it up daily if we are to follow him. Not a topic many wish to address, for it is asking us to crucify our fleshly desires!

This day and age, the majority of us first world believers live in rather comfortable environments and unfortunately many of us have become lukewarm! The lack of prayer, reading of the Bible and church attendance has not become as mandatory in believer's lives as it was in the former years. Is this denying ourselves and picking up our crosses for Christ? Its a tough pill for us to swallow, but I think its so important in our generation.

What do you guys think about this topic? If you have a revelation or a testimony on the topic, please share it!

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Church attendance in no way effects a person's dying to self. Scripture study is a helpful tool, but it is only a map to get you to the destination. Prayer is means by which you obtain the "pearl of great value". Dying to self is impossible without God's help as sought in a lifestyle of prayer.

How can the flesh crucify the flesh? The very idea is insane, my flesh wants to live, and not just live but thrive. So you have to seek God's help to do that which he commands. Not just in this one instance but in every instance.

Why did Jesus pray so much? Some would say it was to demonstrate to us what our lives should look like. Which is not untrue but I believe there was something deeper there. Jesus on earth took on the flesh. In his flesh he knew he must have the power of God each moment of his life to live completely in God's will. This is why he prayed so much. He even sacrificed sleep on a number of occasions to pray. When he went to Gethsemene what was his goal? To pray. And he did thus and as a result won eternal victory for all people.

Pray!

Pray as if the entire universe depended upon your prayers!

Don't just rattle off a list of things you want from God, otherwise you turn him into a Genie that grants wishes. He wants a relationship with you! So take time to listen. In fact, we should listen more in prayer than we speak! What good do I contribute to a conversation with the Almighty? What wisdom can I impart to the All knowing? No listen, then speak. Listen more, speak less.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.