Worcestershire
✟162,208.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Democrats have kept control of the Senate after the crucial race in Nevada was announced in their favor, cementing a midterms election performance for the party that widely beat expectations.
https://www.christianforums.com/forums/news-current-events-articles-required.71/create-thread

The Trump Republican candidates have been underwhelming in these elections. The 'Red Wave' has turned out to be oversold - not much more than a ripple.

Republican Party members and supporters might well see that Trump has become a barrier to success - and drop their slavish support of him and his acolytes. They can start by abandoning the preposterous idea that there was a conspiracy to 'fix' elections; stop pretending that Trump 'won' in 2020; and acknowledge the strength of the American democratic system.

A corner has been turned; the Republican Party can now return to a sensible and reasoned opposition to government - something all democracies need. They can begin again with policies which can attract a broader support; they can abandon the ideological extremes which have made them so toxic to America.

And we here can look forward to the continuing constructive relationship with our old ally.

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A corner has been turned; the Republican Party can now return to a sensible and reasoned opposition to government - something all democracies need. They can begin again with policies which can attract a broader support; they can abandon the ideological extremes which have made them so toxic to America.
Thanks, I needed some Pollyanna level optimism this morning.

• Agree
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,208.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, I needed some Pollyanna level optimism this morning.

You're welcome!

Here is some more. McConnell only shut up about the January 6th insurrection when he thought Trump was powerful. Now that his grand scheme has faltered (I won't say failed yet) he has an opportunity to make amends by declaring that the 2020 Election was properly held and correctly counted. He can influence his followers to 'move on'.

The same applies to other Republicans who failed to stand up to Trump then. Their fear of Trump's baleful influence on their own re-election prospects has just been reduced by the failure of the Red Wave. Indeed, some of them will now find that support for Trump now translates into a net loss of votes; they have to change tack.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

And we here can look forward to the continuing constructive relationship with our old ally.

I think the corner has been turned with regards to Trump, in particular....

But he's not entirely out of the way yet, and I think things will get a little more hectic before the return to (what I hope) is normalcy.

I've seen where some prominent conservative pundits have had something of a "come to Jesus" moment after the midterms...and that's a good first step, but the next phase of the process will likely be the remaining Trump loyalists calling them traitors, and splitting the conservative vote.

Which, in the interim, will embolden the democratic party to run more, shall we call them, "excessive" candidates on their side knowing that their competition is fractured....which, in turn, creates the propensity for some of those old "pro-Trump sentiments" to become more popular again in certain pockets of the country.

I'm guessing it'll probably be a few more elections cycles before we reach something of a healthy balance again.

Upvote 0