Democrats now 'Party of the Rich'

SOAD

Why do they always send the poor? (S.O.A.D.)
Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
LOL - so now we have rich people fighting to pay taxes for the health and welfare of poor people.....and the poor people are up in arms about it!

Nice.
:D

excellent observation

Shall we consider your post vitriol?

Upvote 0
C

Chazemataz

Actually, Democrats and Republicans are now much more divided when it comes to social issues, age, religion and racial structure.
Maybe twenty years ago it was true that "Rich people are Republicans, poor people are Democrats" but just look at the tea parties and tell me if everyone-heck, anyone- there looks rich or business-like.

Republicans= white, Protestant, Southern, the elderly
Democrats= basically everyone else

Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
LOL - so now we have rich people fighting to pay taxes for the health and welfare of poor people.....and the poor people are up in arms about it!

Nice.

Hahahaha!! So really when Dems support raising taxes on those making over $200k, they support raising their own taxes so that others can have a tax break.

If anything, these stats just make Republicans look greedy and selfish with thier policies.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The elderly? You really need to check your demographics a little. The elderly are one of the most solidly Dem voting blocs out there. If the elderly were predominantly Repub, do you think the AARP could be nearly as liberal as it is in what it advocates?

Upvote 0

Gawron

Apr 24, 2008
✟5,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are rich people "fighting" to pay more in taxes? You really believe that?

In addition, what are the new "rich" actually fighting for?

How Would Pelosi's Newly Proposed Value-Added Tax Impact US Manufacturers and Consumers?

Quote:

Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi has introduced the idea of implementing a European style "Value Added Tax" or VAT in the US to help cover the Health Care bill. On PBS's "The Charlie Rose Show", Speaker Pelosi said that a New Value-Added Tax (VAT) is "on the table" to help the U.S. address its fiscal liabilities.

Speaker Pelosi has not fully explained her plan or how Middle America will not pay for these taxes.

End Quote. Link: http://mfrtech.com/articles/2619.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Nope because most of the ones doing the fighting are either the bottom, who pay no taxes anyway or are so far above $200k per year that it's all sheltered anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

Chazemataz

The elderly? You really need to check your demographics a little. The elderly are one of the most solidly Dem voting blocs out there. If the elderly were predominantly Repub, do you think the AARP could be nearly as liberal as it is in what it advocates?

Then why did they overwhemingly vote for McCain in 2008? They were the only age demographic to do so. In addition, look at any poll you want- Gallup, Rassumesen, Pew Report, Pollster, ABC- consistently the vast majority of elderly people are Republican.

That's not to say that there aren't elderly Democrats; there are a lot, but they are outnumbered by at least 3 to 1.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I am white, but thats the only way I fit in your listing of Republican.
I don't believe it is so cut and dry anymore.

In addition, what are the new "rich" actually fighting for?

The liberals want the rich to pay more taxes, but other rich people, they make sure there is loopholes so they can shelter their money from being taken.
Why not eliminate the loopholes? Make sure every person pays thier fair share, without tax shelters. Republican and Democrat and everything in between.
Stop making it a game, who can find more ways to protect their money,
if you do -A- you won't have to pay tax on.-B-.

Upvote 0

sinner/SAVED

homo unis libri / εραστής της φρόνησης
Dec 3, 2004
Sowega
✟11,386.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
I am white, Protestant, Southern. I am definitely not, nor have I ever been or plan to be, Republican.

I am a faith-based voter.....

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others

Maybe AARP tends to be "liberal" because "conservatives" think Medicare is a social program and fought tooth and nail against it and therefore those of the AARP age thinks one side does not have their best interest at heart at a rather crucial point in their lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Which party is it that put forward the Baucus health care plan?

On Tuesday, the Congressional Budget Office director told Mr. Baucus's committee that its plan to cut $123 billion from Medicare Advantage—the program that gives almost one-fourth of seniors private health-insurance options—will result in lower benefits and some 2.7 million people losing this coverage.

Upvote 0
R

reverend C

when i sold health insurance, the medicare advantage programs were widely considered to be a very bad deal for seniors, as it was the only medicare "supplement" that required the senior to opt out of medicare altogether and be solely dependent on the private provider for their care, and it was extremely difficult to get back into the medicare program once you had opted out, if you could do it at all. therefore, the "advantage" senior was at the mercy of their health care carrier. it should be disadvantaged, as it is the perfect mouse trap.
with that said, i know i speak for many democrats and independents that are very disappointed with the baucus bill. it doesn't go nearly far enough.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others

"Nevertheless, President Obama, starting during the campaign, has promised to cut Medicare Advantage.
Humana, the most Medicare Advantage-heavy company, with 1.5 million Medicare members and $1.1 billion in annual Medicare-related profits, has been a question mark on Wall Street since Obama's election because of fears that its golden goose may be cooked."

FORBES

Wow....so the cuts are being restructured and will hurt corporations like Humana's 1.1 billion profits or "golden goose" as the article puts it....I don't understand why that may hurt your feelings?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

On Tuesday, the Congressional Budget Office director told Mr. Baucus's committee that its plan to cut $123 billion from Medicare Advantage—the program that gives almost one-fourth of seniors private health-insurance options—will result in lower benefits and some 2.7 million people losing this coverage.
That sounds like something that would make a republican happy?!?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,803.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It might be more accurate to track median incomes of Democrats and Republicans.

One possible reason for this stat: The most liberal states are on the coasts. The highest salaries are on the coasts. The highest costs of living are on the coasts.

I lived in metro NY for many years, as well as three less expensive states, and I can say with absolute conviction that earning $200K in NY or California or Massachusetts is probably like earning $100-$125K in many other places.

So sure, they earn $200K on paper, but are they getting $200K worth of value from it?

Upvote 0