Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Democrats flipped control of the Virginia House of Delegates, securing victories in at least 51 seats and giving them the majority in both chambers of the General Assembly.
Republicans were defending a slim 52-48 majority, but Democrats saw an opportunity to make gains under newly drawn maps following a court-ordered redistricting process. They secured that flip with a win in a Fredericksburg seat from former delegate Joshua Cole, who had been looking to return to Richmond.

..... Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R) had hoped he would have to ensure passage of his agenda, burnish his national reputation and propel his potential, last-minute presidential bid.

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Virginia is a great place to live! We are not unnecessarily tribal, and usually vote for candidates, not letters. This compromise allows us to elect republican leaders when they are the best candidate and democrats when they are the best choice. And I relish this variety. Purple it is!

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So from private equity to Governor in 2022. That is not very seasoned for a politician wanting to be President. Hopefully, he will get other chances. Going against Trump is worthwhile to me, but might hurt a political career as so many Republicans seem to think Trump is the answer. I suppose Trump might choose him for VP but there will be lots of competition. I'm hoping Gov. Kristi Noem as Trump just insulted DeSantis along with so many others.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So from private equity to Governor in 2022. That is not very seasoned for a politician wanting to be President. Hopefully, he will get other chances. Going against Trump is worthwhile to me, but might hurt a political career as so many Republicans seem to think Trump is the answer. I suppose Trump might choose him for VP but there will be lots of competition. I'm hoping Gov. Kristi Noem as Trump just insulted DeSantis along with so many others.

I live in Virginia and believe Youngkin is wise enough to say "Thank you, but I don't want to be your VP nominee." Then again, we are talking politics lol. It's doubtful the Don would even ask a man who is not a sycophant anyhow.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

"Saddled with a historically unpopular president and American anger over crime and inflation, Democrats still managed somehow to win the marquee races of the 2023 election season on the strength of abortion messaging, early turnout and ad spending blitzes.
The Republicans’ latest disappointing election performance –- from Glenn Youngkin’s failed bid to capture control of the Virginia legislature to Daniel Cameron’s loss of the gubernatorial mansion in deep-red Kentucky -- left many on social media Tuesday night calling for GOP Party Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel to be ousted for a losing streak that stretches back to 2018 and has exposed the Republican National Committee’s weaknesses on messaging and get-out-the-vote operations."

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Virginia is a great place to live! We are not unnecessarily tribal, and usually vote for candidates, not letters. This compromise allows us to elect republican leaders when they are the best candidate and democrats when they are the best choice. And I relish this variety. Purple it is!
I agree. I love living in Virginia. Democrats didn't flip anything. The lovely Virginia voter did. You're welcome, America! ;)
Lol

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Going against Trump cuts off the supply of sweet, sweet PAC money.

Reactions: Richard T
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
We elected a TV game show host to sit in the White House, but a businessman turned governor doesn’t have enough political “cred” to run?

• Haha
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Congrats to the Democrats. They seem to be the dominant party lately. Interestingly, in every state where the Democrats redrew the districts to "be more fair," they keep winning in droves. This is especially true here in really red districts in Michigan. It seems all they did was redraw districts in their favor to ensure Republicans stop winning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Congrats to the Democrats. They seem to be the dominant party lately. Interestingly, in every state where the Democrats redrew the districts to "be more fair," they keep winning in droves. This is especially true here in really red districts in Michigan. It seems all they did was redraw districts in their favor to ensure Republicans stop winning.
Which states?
Is there a “before/after” chart or something we can see, that supports this entirely accurate opinion?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Near-total abortion ban rejected unanimously by bipartisan Virginia House panel

[A less restricitve abortion ban failed on a party line vote. Obviously, this necessitated a Democratic majority.]

Abortion was a central theme in last year’s legislative elections, when every General Assembly seat was on the ballot. Democrats campaigned on a promise to protect access to abortion in Virginia, which has some of the South’s most permissive laws and is the only state in the region that has not imposed new abortion restrictions since Roe v. Wade fell.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Not quite unanimous, but Virginia Democrats called a Republican's bluff and put his strict antiabortion bill up for a full up or down vote.

Democrats in the Virginia House of Delegates forced their Republican colleagues to take an up-or-down vote Monday on a sweeping anti-abortion bill one lawmaker called “a slap in the face” to women who have been raped or suffer life-threatening complications from a pregnancy.

In a procedural move designed to put Republicans on the spot over the most extreme anti-abortion proposals emerging from their ranks, Democrats themselves brought a GOP-sponsored bill to the House floor that would have cut off public funding for clinics and hospitals where abortions are performed with no exceptions for rape, incest, severe fetal abnormalities or when the mother’s life is at risk.

After several rounds of parliamentary battle over whether the bill could be scaled back or stricken from the agenda altogether, Republicans were forced to vote on the bill with no changes. The legislation was rejected in a nearly unanimous 95-1-2 vote, with just a few Republicans abstaining or voting no.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

sprknjc

John 15:13
Feb 3, 2024
Northern Virginia outer suburbs
✟6,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This article is quite comprehensive about all things Youngkin and a great basis for discussion on many aspects about him and recent Virginia state politics - Glenn Youngkin - Wikipedia (fair alert, it is a lengthy read).

Though no person is 100% perfect, Youngkin tries with a diverse population across the state, deep red in southwest area Appalachia to deep blue in northern Arlington and Alexandria localities next to DC. As a long time Virginia resident, I give him a B+/A-, but he is dealing with a divided legislature. He is Christian, but he does not push Christian Nationalism down people's throats like Trump. He uses common sense in governing though looking to God himself for guidance and following Jesus's example in living, though no one is perfect. He controls his tongue and not much public display of anger, though righteous indignation at times with the culture wars. He got passed with the legislature reducing the sales tax on food down from 6% to 1% and two tax rebates for the people. He has worked tirelessly to reduce indoctrination of impressionable young public school students, more success and support of not teaching CRT. More challenging with LGBTQ behavior, school districts across the state in agreement not allowing sex change preferences on kids without notifying parents, but not Loudoun County and other school boards across Northern Virginia within an hour or a little more drive of DC.

Good people here in Northern Virginia, outer suburbs around a 55% Dem / 45% Repb split, but very diverse with over 100 countries represented, a real melting pot including various religions or not, especially in the inside of or close by the Beltway Northern Virginia suburbs, not so much this 20-25 years ago. Good diversity and inclusiveness is one thing like Youngkin's first in state history black Lieutenant Governor and Latino Attorney General, but bad diversity behavior is another with many illegal immigrants coming without claiming asylum with some causing trouble and doing crime in parts of NoVA. Youngkin's home area residence in this region is within an hour of where I live, and he is dealing with diversity challenges too, in a place a bit hostile to Christians in parts as I know this very personally first hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0