St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
For those asking for proof of the democrat party supporting slavery....
"At its inception, the Democratic Party was the party of the "common man". It opposed the abolition of slavery. From 1828 to 1848, banking and tariffs were the central domestic policy issues."

See the full thing on Wikipedia:
History of the United States Democratic Party - Wikipedia.
No one is asking for proof that the Democratic party was once the party of racism and slavery. That is a well-established fact known to anyone with even a passing familiarity with US history--even Democrats. ;)

What is wanting is proof that the Democratic party is still the party of racism and slavery.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one is asking for proof that the Democratic party was once the party of racism and slavery. That is a well-established fact known to anyone with even a passing familiarity with US history--even Democrats. ;)

What is wanting is proof that the Democratic party is still the party of racism and slavery.
Ah I see. Ironically I can't get any democrat to admit they used to be the party of slavery, they always tell me republicans were.

That said, as of todays politcal groups, I don't see the democrats as the party of such things. Though neither do the republicans either. At least in the terms of actual slavery.

As for racism? I think its far to complex to label a whole group as a party of racists. I've seen racists on both sides. I've also seen the argument that if you vote Trump, you vote for racism. I disagree. It's another one of those things where people find a way to throw you into a group.

I'm sure people voted many a president/ruler...etc around the world that later regretted it. Does mean that person voted for said person agreed with everything that person did. I voted for Obama despite not liking everything he stood for. Same for Bush and so on.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I love threads like this, there is the simultaneous, incongruent argument being made. The Democratic Party is the worst because the South was supportive of slavery, but people that wave the flag of the Confederacy are great people concerned with states' rights. You can't have it both ways. I always say who is currently pushing and supporting racism; back then it was members within the Democrats (later became Dixiecrats), now it's members within the Republican Party.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
And here lies the crux of the matter. How did it come to this? What justifiable reason is could there be that as vast and diverse the DNC candidates were, not only did they nominate an "idiot", but another old white guy? You cannot tell me the party truly cares about diversity or democracy. The only care about beating Trump in spite of people of color.

I never claimed to be a huge fan of the Democratic party in general, but it's still a ridiculous claim that they are the *current* party supporting slavery and racism. The big problem with the Democratic party is that it is a large umbrella containing a number of groups with conflicting ideologies that are only in the party because there is no practical alternative besides the Republican party, and unfortunately, the neo-liberal center right faction has most of the power, so we keep getting neo-liberal center right candidates to uphold the status quo. The Democrats had a huge number of potential candidates and yet chose the worst of the lot (maybe Bloomberg was worse) but that's typical of the party. The DNC chooses which neo-liberal they want to support and that's the one that typically wins. And then because the Republican party is so extreme into neo-fascism, the Democrats give the appearance of being left when they are just somewhat less right-wing than the Republicans. But those are the two we realistically have to choose from if we don't want to throw our votes away.

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
Pearisburg, Giles Country, Virginia
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Why even mention the word still? I wouldn't want to be associated with it anyways. Why go with the party that started the KKK too? If anything, the know nothings party is where it's at. You know why? Because they didn't favor slavery. You know that the local bar club party is better than the Democrats? You know why? Because they didn't favor slavery. You know that my own church is better than the democrats? You know why? Because they didn't favor slavery. You know that the no girls allowed treehouse club in my neighborhood is better than the Democrats? You know why? Because they didn't favor slavery.

You know why I choose to be Republican over Democrat? Because Republicans hated slavery. That is literally the only reason. Do not defend your slave owning party to me. I don't care if it was 100, 200, 500, 800 years, it still happened and I still hate Democrats.

Did you know that in 1860, not 1 Republican owned slaves? It was all Democrats. Stop mentioning "Still". They can't cover up their past and I don't forgive horrible people like that. Your party is stained with horrible history and you will never redeem yourselves no matter what your brainless representatives do. I'm sorry, but I just don't like Democrats. As my Native American friend said "The Democrat party is a stupid white man's party for other stupid white men."

Your are the ultimate irony. Your fellow colleagues supporting you have their signature mention "Black lives matter" but the Democrats didn't seem to care and they had them as slaves. Your party is the reason why there are riots and mobs and such today. You know when the UK got rid of their slaves? 1833. Why did it take America an extra 35 years to do the same thing? Ask the Democrats. Your party is a horrible party. And why have a war over it all at that? The UK didn't. Democrats sure wanted to keep their slaves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟943,562.00
Faith
Atheist
Did you know that in 1860, not 1 Republican owned slaves?
Wrong. PolitiFact - Fact-checking Larry Elder’s reparations chatter on 'Fox & Friends'

Francis P. Blair, one of the Republican Party’s founders, owned slaves while he presided over the 1856 Republican convention and was a delegate in 1860, Kruse said.

Benjamin Burton, who served twice as a state legislator in Delaware under the Whig party before becoming a Republican later in life, also owned slaves, according to his obituary. In fact, his 28 slaves made him Delaware’s leading slave-owner.

Blair and Burton were not the only two. After conservative filmmaker Dinesh D’Souza made a similar claim on Twitter, Kruse and other historians on Twitter identified eight more prominent Republicans who also owned slaves in 1860.

"As to no Republicans ever owning slaves, I was wrong, and I've corrected it on social media," Elder said in a statement to PolitiFact. "There were at least 10."

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Why even mention the word still? I wouldn't want to be associated with it anyways. Why go with the party that started the KKK too? If anything, the know nothings party is where it's at. You know why? Because they didn't favor slavery. You know that the local bar club party is better than Democrats? You know why? Because they didn't favor slavery. You know that my own church is better than the democrats. You know why? Because they didn't favor slavery. You know that the no girls allowed treehouse club in my neighborhood is better than the Democrats, You know why? Because they didn't favor slavery.

You know why I choose to be Republican over Democrat? Because Republicans hated slavery. That is literally the only reason. Do not defend your slave owning party to me. I don't care if it was 100, 200, 500, 800 years, it still happened and I still hate Democrats.

Did you know that in 1860, not 1 Republican owned slaves? It was all Democrats. Stop mentioning "Still". They can't cover up their past and I don't forgive horrible people like that. Your party is stained with horrible history and you will never redeem yourselves so matter what your brainless representatives do. I'm sorry, but I just don't like Democrats.
Because "still" is the claim being made. I don't care whether you like Democrats or not; I'm not a Democrat myself. No one is denying that the Democratic party was once the party of racism and slavery. No one is trying to hide it. But "still" is a deliberate attempt to falsify history.

*Actually, Lincoln himself owned a slave for a short time. It's a cute story, but I doubt you'd want to hear it. But a number of prominent Republicans owned slaves and Larry Elder, the Fox commentator who originated your claim, has since admitted he was wrong.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I love threads like this, there is the simultaneous, incongruent argument being made. The Democratic Party is the worst because the South was supportive of slavery, but people that wave the flag of the Confederacy are great people concerned with states' rights. You can't have it both ways. I always say who is currently pushing and supporting racism; back then it was members within the Democrats (later became Dixiecrats), now it's members within the Republican Party.

People don't realize how much they expose themselves. Or, they don't care because they have gotten far (enough) that it won't matter. It is great reconnaissance on a microcosm of the world (a forum).

• Agree
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
People don't realize how much they expose themselves. Or, they don't care because they have gotten far (enough) that it won't matter. It is great reconnaissance on a microcosm of the world (a forum).
People telling on themselves is nothing new, I've seen it many times. Their previous posts say it all, but they'll be quick to counteract you by posting a video from one of the five black conservatives on social media. They seem to think a black conservative trumps all because they're black. But just remember, the people that tell on themselves also don't see color.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
Pearisburg, Giles Country, Virginia
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Because "still" is the claim being made. I don't care whether you like Democrats or not; I'm not a Democrat myself. No one is denying that the Democratic party was once the party of racism and slavery. No one is trying to hide it. But "still" is a deliberate attempt to falsify history.

*Actually, Lincoln himself owned a slave for a short time. It's a cute story, but I doubt you'd want to hear it. But a number of prominent Republicans owned slaves and Larry Elder, the Fox commentator who originated your claim, has since admitted he was wrong.

Hmm. You know, even though I really disagree with you and you arguing and disagreeing with me is giving me a headache and it's a little irritating, I'll give you that. Lincoln did in fact own slaves. For once, I'll give proof in your favor.

https://www.history.com/news/5-things-you-may-not-know-about-lincoln-slavery-and-emancipation

Which U.S. Presidents Owned Slaves? - Abraham Lincoln

Perhaps you should say checkmate to me. Bravo.

proxy-image

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.